Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where is all the brass going?

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hostile79 View Post
    There is a gun show around me this weekend. I am hoping I can find some primers there.
    Well no primers at the gun show except for one guy selling older primers $20 per 100!!!!

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Sadly, people will pay that much for them...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    This is a great time to get to know your LOCAL reloading supply shop. What I have often suggested to my reloading students is that after making a lot of effort to get to know the owners personally, you should then offer to pay up front for supplies. This does work. They feel obligated, since they are sitting on your money, to put you at the front of the line. They will thank you for trusting in them. And, that makes for an even more solid relationship. I have a standing positive cash account at two of the local (to me) suppliers. I just don't need anything at the moment (planned way ahead of all of this and am sitting proud on primers and powder.) Overall, it's a short amount of cash to have a great relationship with these local guys who are under pressure from the general public. When I walk through their front door, I'm never just "another customer".
    Try this, and report back.

Administrator - Ammo Brass Trader
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I actually do side work for my local FFL, so I’m in good with him. But he still has no line on primers at the moment other than the inflated ones on gunbroker.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have an indoor range were they police the brass and sell unsorted to those who shoot.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    if you know anyone who needs large rifle standard and or magnum primers I will trade for equivalent for small pistol primers

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    My local gun store got primers this week and I bought 1,000 small pistol for $100. That’s a lot better than the $200 per 1,000 I had been seeing. I would have bought more but $100 per 1,000 still seems pretty high to me.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    My tens of thousands (all sizes of pistol and rifle) cost on average $28 per thousand.
    No, I am not sharing or selling any.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    I work weekends at some public land near town. I have been there for about 3 years and the shooting has slowed way down. I use to get almost a 5 gallon bucket of assorted brass per day now I get maybe a milk jug of brass. I have lots of some calibers but have sold most of less common ones. maybe one person a day would stop by usually at the end of the day to pick brass, now I see 3 to 5 different people per day swinging through and they are all gong home empty handed. Like others, I see people picking .22 brass now as well.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I hope that the people picking brass, like yourself, are doing so to actually USE the brass to reload. Picking brass merely to sell at the scrap metal place is a waste of a great resource. It's why Ammo Brass Trader exists, to facilitate the trading of otherwise un-needed brass. Someone will need it for reloading. I would think that there are plenty of odd jobs that would yield more $$$ than picking small lots of brass to sell at the scrapper.

One of my best friends, an elderly fellow up in Maine, where I used to live, first became known to me when asking others at the gun club there what the club rules were for4 brass left behind. Everyone told me to look for the old guy with the goatee, in the beige Lincoln. He was delighted that I sought him out, and generously GAVE me all of the brass that I needed for reloading. I've since moved to Florida, but we still talk on the phone, and he sends me any brass I ask him for. He's still picking, but never sells it for scrap metal.

That my two cents worth. There's plenty of brass out there, even in the really oddball sizes. When you get that brass, bring it here for trading with folks that really need it for reloading. And, always tell others about Ammo Brass Trader. It would be helpful to us all to get more folks trading brass here.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Feedback Score
    Thanks, Duke.
    Latest stitch in the thread 7/14/21
    I am a resourceful reloader, mostly wildcats, haven't fired any factory ammo short of rimfire in 20 years.
    6 months of Joe Biden and it doesn't seem to be letting up
    What good is a brass case without a primer?
    Great election! Real accurate vote count, guys! What did they think? It was legitimate, my butt!
    I wouldn't let him feed my dog!
    I know it's not the government, for Pete's sake, it's the fragile mentality of the mass public.
    Hold on and hold out. 1929 is right around the corner again. Déjà vu, Dude!
    think twice, shoot once

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    I believe the brass is coming back.