Thread: Bullet feeders for pistol bullets!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Bullet feeders for pistol bullets!

So, I am looking at getting more automated.
    Was discussing this with MBaker.
    Sounds like the Lee feeder is not working very well for a lot of loaders, but sounds like it's the same for the Hornady feeder.
    That leaves the Mr bullet feeders.
    At that price point, it really is not worth it to me personally.
    So what other options do we have?
    Would like to hear from the experienced reloaders on the possible solution.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have a Hornady feeder....but unless I'm loading a 1000+ rounds...I simply use the hornady feeder tubes and put like 30 bullets at a time in them and drop them into the top of the feeder die body. I can load up 4 tubes and get me through most of my reloading sessions for hand gun.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Have you tried cast bullets in it? That is what I will be using mostly.
    Can u use it for other calibers?
    It didn't sound like it, and does it feed satisfactory?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I had a brass feeder (yes, I know we are discussing bullet feeders) for a Dillon 550b. I gave a LOT of thought to hooking it up. One of my gun buddies is an expert machinist, and he has one of his 550's rigged up with a Lee bullet feeder (which he modified), and a Dillon brass feeder.

The problem was that in order for it all to work correctly, all of the time, the 550b needed to be dedicated to ONE cartridge, and left alone that way. I assemble too many various cartridges, and abandoned the idea of a dedicated 550b. Sold off the brass feeder for $150, and was done with it.

The Lee bullet feeder that my buddy modified was able to place cast and plated and jacketed bullets correctly, every time. BUT, he spent a lot of time tweaking to get it to work well, and now has a press that ONLY assembles 38 Specials (a cartridge that he shoots a LOT of.)

I'd rather have a flexible machine that allows me to do everything from 25 ACP up to 500 S&W Magnums by switching out tool heads and dial plates. Automatically placing bullets and brass isn't a big deal.

It's never the amount of ammunition you are making. It's always about the QUALITY of the ammunition that's important. Unless you have deep pockets, and can afford to have a dedicated machine for a single cartridge, the notion of auto feeding bullets and brass is troublesome. That's likely why the others gave bad reports to the Lee and Hornady bullet feeders. They're not really designed to be that flexible.

Administrator - Ammo Brass Trader
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I suppose you are wright about that. If you can get it to work most of the time, you are still speeding up the process as long as the quality is up to spec.
    The quality has been my biggest reason for reloading. I have struggled with powder measures in the past. Seems like you need to dedicate one for each caliber you load a lot of.
    Thanks for your insight Duke, I think I am going to give the Hornady feeder a try, since I can use it in my single stage turret press.
    Unless someone else has a better idea!
    Last edited by JJ444; 02-26-2020 at 09:11 AM.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    In my mind, it's never about how many cartridges I can make in an hour.

It's always about how many good ones can I make.

I can manually index my Dillon 550b and hand place brass and bullets faster that you could with your dedicated bullet feeder. And, I know every cartridge I assemble is going to be darn near perfect. Just my two cents woirth, but I think you are wasting money, considering it's going on a turret press. But, my apologies, it's your press, and it's your money.

Maybe instead of upgrading to a bullet feeder, you should upgrade the press and manually place the components.

Administrator - Ammo Brass Trader
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thanks Duke,
    I am considering that.
    Will be looking into possible models that will suit my loading needs.
    Regards JJ.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I’ve heard that the reason the hornady feeders have trouble with cast bullets is due to bullet lube. So if you decide to powder coat, that SHOULD negate the issues with lube. I wouldn’t mind hearing how it works for you though, I’m kind of interested in them also.

Now, if they made one that placed AND seated the bullet, I’d be happy.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Apparently Hornady makes a new feeder, that feeds, places the bullet, seats and crimps it all in one station.
    Now the quality of the product might not be that good, although the video I watched, the guy was getting between.001-.002 concentricity on the bullet.
    It's about $400!