Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast

Thread: A new "what are you doing in the loading room today" thread

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    Let's hope so.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I've spent the last 3 days depriming, tumbling and sorting brass. I tumble the brass cases in the wet tumbler and the nickel cases in my dry tumblers.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    My brother sent me about 1500 9 mm cases and about 500 223 cases so I am sizing, trimming and crimp removing the 223 cases. Luckily he wet cleans his cases also so I don't have to clean the 9 mm.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm not trying to "Brag" but I've got so much brass, it isn't even funny.
    Before I "Retired", I used to go to the 2 Ranges I was a Member of at least once a week (1 was on my way to work, LOL!). Things have slowed down a lot though because I dropped my Membership at the one that had been on the way to my old Job (along with that Ammo Shortage Thingy). The 2nd one, I'm a "Life Member" of but have slowed WAY down on going to it (I'm not a "Young Man" of 60 anymore, LOL!). Before finding those Ranges, I'd either bought brass from the Members of several sites or traded for things. After joining the Ranges, I started seeing that very FEW People would pick up their brass and have actually found things left like ammo or Mags thrown in the trash (yes, I'd go through the trash because some People would gather their Brass and then either throw it in the trees or in the Trash, plus I haul the Trash off from the Range to help out).
    It's gotten to where I don't even bother counting the .380 acp/ 9mm/.40 S&W/.45 ACP/ or .223/5.56 anymore. I just wash the sand and grass out of them and after sorting, throw them in either a MFRB or LFRB. When the Box is full, tape it up and throw in in my Conex box. I used to trade on this site (actually the OLD site) with Lou Burke and several others and also sold a LOT of those calibers mentioned before on other sites. Except for the Weatherby Calibers and .300 RUM or .50 AE/.44 Mag/etc I've decided to just shoot Winchester Brass and have more brass prepped and primed than I'll ever use (not to mention Factory Ammo that My Sons told me I should have sold off for a HUGE Profit during the last 2 years). I know a lot of people talk trash about the Winchester Brass but I like it. I still find a Fair amount of other Headstamps in pretty much all calibers and have been just packing them as best I can in FRB's. I really need to get rid of a bunch of brass but I've gotten tired of trying to box it up and keep up with what goes to whom. Used to be, I tumbled everything in crushed Walnut w/nufinish but after burning up 6 or 7 Vibratory Tumblers, I don't do that anymore (I need to build a Wet Tumbler). The Old Ladies at our Local Post Office pretty much HATE me with a passion for shipping LFRB's full of .223/5.56, LOL!

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Unpacking a few leftover things that I took to the local gun show over the weekend. And sorting brass to up-grade my trades.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Cleaned a muzzle loader and 3 other rifles. And sorted a large tub of brass.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Time to straighten up my workbench. As my work area gets smaller and smaller. Clutter grows. I'll put that away later... It's time. Time to cast replacements for what I shot over the summer also.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    I was also thinking that it is time to start casting. I am going to try coating this year.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Today was housekeeping day! I dusted off the bench top and applied a coat of furniture polish, vacuumed the floor and put a few things back in their place.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    Uh, you forgot to polish the brass!

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I went to the Range this Morning (I don't go to the Range anywhere nearly as often as I used to). The last couple of times, I've found some Hornady .300 PRC and also a fair amount of 6mm ARC brass (along with the other "Normal" stuff like 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 Grendal, .308 Win, .223. etc). I guess I just find it odd that people buy these Rifles to get "Long Range Precision" but then don't reload to get the best performance from them (BUT Thank Y'all Very much, I appreciate it, LOL!). Polishing Brass has gotten slower, my Hornady Tumbler "Bit the Dust" so now I'm down to 2. I REALLY need to get a Wet Tumbler Built!
    I've got a Question, Does anyone have and use a Hornady 2L Ultrasonic Cleaner? And if so, what do you think about it? A Good Friend of Mine gave me one for my upcoming Birthday and it seems awfully small for what it costs. I'm thinking I'd be better of taking it back to Academy and using the credit on something else.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    Are you thinking of using it for firearms cleaning or brass cleaning? I see that some people use the ultrasonic cleaners for brass but they don't seem to be extremely happy with the end result.

If you are using it for firearms cleaning it should work OK but if it is small you are limited to the size of the firearm. I worked for a gunsmith for awhile and he used an automotive parts cleaner with odorless mineral spirits. I bought one of the bench models from Harbor Freight and used until we moved this last time. After the move I bought a stand alone one, I had to change the motor to one that is used for petroleum based products instead of the one that came with it which was for water based solvents. I plumbed in an automotive oil filter and I am very happy with it, of course I like to actually handle the firearms when cleaning instead of just letting them sit in a tank and clean.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Happy, I believe they thought I could use it for brass cleaning but as you say, it's really small. I'll keep using my same old citric acid/vinegar/water cleaning solution and then treated walnut shells in a tumbler for that.
    I'd considered taking the Hornady back and getting a "Vevor" brand ultrasonic cleaner off of the internet. For the same price as the mostly plastic Hornady 2L, you can get a stainless steel Vevor 15L. But once I started looking at the Vevor reviews I've pretty much changed my mind about them.
    I had intended on using an Ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning things like Bolt carrier groups, handguns, and suppressors.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I've never had an ultrasonic cleaner but I always thought that one would work well for cleaning triggers or trigger assemblies.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    That's why I like the auto parts cleaner, I can direct the stream where I want it, works great. I like the fact that I can put a revolver in half cock and direct the stream down into the lock works. If I have a bolt that is dirty, I can soak in the tank for a bit and then use the pressure stream to push the dirt out. Anyway it works for me, probably not for everyone.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I've also found the ultrasonic to be less than ideal for brass. Works great on the wife's jewelry, tho.
    Load and shoot: 6.5mm (Dutch, Jap., Carcano, Swede), 7x57, 7.35 Carcano, 7.5mm (Mas, Swiss), 303 British, 7.65x53, 7.7 Jap, 7.62x51, 30-06, 8x50R & 8x52R Siamese, 30-40 Krag, 8x57, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, 8x 56R, 30 Carbine, 450/577 Martini, 300 Win Mag, 45 LC.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Reloaded some 9mm recently with Aguila small pistol primers. My first experience with this brand. Really tight fitting! CBC primer pockets were really a challenge with these primers. I tried running some CBC brass through my Dillon swager. Made no difference. They all went bang at the range however... But going forward, if there isn't some compelling reason, like a deep $$ discount, I'll probably pass.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Merry Christmas everyone! I've been casting and reloading 45acp and 9mm. But Christmas came early this year at another estate sale. I picked up 7700 LPP, a new 1911 DeSantis holster and a Wilson combat magazine both still in the original packages! I've had quiet a bit of success with estate sales. I always haggle. Pick up a number of things and then make an offer... Go early. Get on lists of estate sellers, some have websites. Check with them regularly. It's worth it.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Anyone know of a wildcat caliber that's made from 30-30 Winchester brass that has the rim turned down?
    The same guy also used to reload 357 Herrett and 30 Herrett, but this brass is not those. It's got the same length and shoulder as 30-30 Win except the base of the casing has the rim turned / milled off.
    Any help would be appreciated because the guy who converted this brass passed away so I can't ask him what it is.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I figured it out. The mystery caliber is 30 Remington which is essentially a rimless 30-30 Winchester.

Quote Originally Posted by SafetyJoe View Post
    Anyone know of a wildcat caliber that's made from 30-30 Winchester brass that has the rim turned down?
    The same guy also used to reload 357 Herrett and 30 Herrett, but this brass is not those. It's got the same length and shoulder as 30-30 Win except the base of the casing has the rim turned / milled off.
    Any help would be appreciated because the guy who converted this brass passed away so I can't ask him what it is.