Thread: can't wait.................

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

can't wait.................

I bought a 7.5 X 55 Swiss (K31) from an elderly buddy, and can't wait for it to arrive.

He's shipping some ammo and brass with it, but not sure if it's old stuff (corrosive) or Berdan primed.

It's the cleanest old rifle I have ever seen.

Administrator - Ammo Brass Trader
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Congratulations on your K-31. Check to see if it has a name tag under the butt plate. Post pictures when it arrives.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Hard to find boxer primed brass for it though. I have a pile of the original GP11 ammo, but very few reloads. I have a K31 and a 96/11. Need to get a K11.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    A K31 was the first MilSurp that I bought. I found the guy mine was originally issued to and contacted him. He sent me some photo copies of his old shooting record book and pictures of him with the gun back in the late 1950s-early 1960s. It was cool.

I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Ed

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    I started looking for a K31 in all the common places. They where either overpriced or just not available. So I posted a WTB on a few boards and got a hit. A guy sent me pics of his 1911 long rifle. I was not real interested since the K31 was in my sights. However, I went and looked at his rifle... WOW what a gem. Absolutely a great looking firearm. Stock in excellent condition, the bluing was fully in tact and all the numbers matched. Barrel clean and bright. There was no importers info printed anywhere. He had brought some ammo along and we proceeded to take some shots. What a sweet shooting rifle for 101 years old. Bayonet, frog, muzzle cover and original owners name under butt plate.
    Took it out to the range and did 100y and 200yard shots.... excellent groups. I am totally impressed with this rifle.
    So then I got to looking for a carbine in the 1911 vintage. Found one (dated 1928) not quite a good a shape as the long rifle but still a keeper. Hard to decide which one shoots better.
    I found some new PPU cases and 168g BTHP rounds for a good price. Not cheap to shoot but well worth the cost and effort.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Ineptocracy (in-ept-oc-ra-cy).....
    A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm in Massachusetts and Maine this week, having escaped the hurricane.
    The same guy who sold me his K31 is also making a Japanese Arisaka available. I hope to bring it home with me to Florida when I drive back.

The K31 does have the tag under the butt plate, and when I checked, the old guy to whom it was issued, is still alive!
    Don't think the Japanese did the same thing, but I will look.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    There is not a whole lot of Boxer primed 7.5 Swiss cases out there. I have a small stash and you ain't getting any! I almost bet the ammo you are getting will be surplus Swiss G11 stuff. It's good ammo, but of course it is Berdan primed. But it is funny you should be talking about a Jap Arisaka. I ordered both a Swiss K31 and a Type 99 Jap Arisaka about the same time. When I got them in I took them both to the range the same time for first firing. All my life I heard about that vaunted Swiss accuracy, both in their watches and their guns. The Jap Arisaka actually was a bit more accurate than the Swiss K31, even though the K31 looked like it was in much better condition.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaendog56 View Post
    There is not a whole lot of Boxer primed 7.5 Swiss cases out there. I have a small stash of Testoprime and you ain't getting any! I almost bet the ammo you are getting will be surplus Swiss G11 stuff. It's ammo, but of course it is Berdan primed. But it is funny you should be talking about a Jap Arisaka.
    Hey Duke, how are you finding the K31?
    Last edited by Barbers; 08-28-2021 at 06:37 AM.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The K31 is amazing. Yes, it's the Berdan primed surplus stuff that I am shooting in it, but it is very accurate with it. I bought some new reloadable brass through Grafs and waiting for the day when I run out of the surplus stuff to start reloading it.

I was up in Maine (in addition to escaping from the hurricane) to retrieve my Lee-Enfield Model 4 MK1 Lend Lease Act vintage (before the US entered the war) which was at my gunsmiths place. If you ever need any service rifle work done, check out angusarms.com . He's amazing and meticulous with what he does. Got to shoot that with some PPU ammo while I was in Maine.

Someone over at CastBoolits has send me 50 pcs of the 6.5 X 50 (6.5 Jap) brass to get started. I could sure use some more properly headstampes brass. I know there are some ways to make it out of something else, but I want the real deal.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Oh, dang, you got a Jap 6.5 gun?