Thread: 44 mag marlin loosing jackets after firing

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

44 mag marlin loosing jackets after firing

Has anyone found that the jackets are coming off the bullets before the bullet hit the target? this problem was asked of me last week and the only conclusion was pistol bullets in a rife any one out there has any opinions?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Poor construction of the bullet itself. I've never had that happen, but I mainly use cast anyway. It might help if you were to clarify a couple of things.

Are those store bought?
    Are they reloads?

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I've heard that an excessively fast twist rate can spin the jackets off... Had it happen with 110gr RN (30 carbine) bullets in 308win. 1:10 twist... They didn't group, they patterned...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    like I said this was addressed to me as a problem from a friend of mine I have never had a problem. I can't answer your question but it seemed odd that it really happened thanks bruce

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    The older ones have a very slow twist rate, 1:38". But the newer ones have a 1:20" twist.
    Find out what year his is and more about the bullet he is using.
    Last edited by tsubaki; 01-31-2015 at 04:24 AM.
    Benny

223 Rem, 7mm Rem Mag, 30 Carbine, 300 AAC, 30-30 Win, 308 Win, 30-06 Spr, 303 Brit, 458 SOCOM, 45-70 Govt.
    25 ACP, 32 S&W Long, 38 Spl, 357 Mag, 44 Spl, 44 Rem Mag, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 454 Casull.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It's not likely to happen.

I've seen some gas checked cast bullets get down range, and the gas checks separate from the boolit when the boolit hits the berm. To the untrained eye, it could look like the cast bullet lost it's jacket.

Some of the really older "swaged" bullets, like from the 50's, were formed at home by using a copper cup, and inserting a chunk of lead, and making a so-so "half jacket" bullet. These had copper jackets about 1/2 way from the back of the bullet to the front. If you were sloppy making these, and got grease, oil, or other foreign matter between the cup and the core, there was a chance that the friction between the copper cup and the rifling was greater than the friction between the copper cup and the lead insert. However, most of those old Swage-O-Matic presses are long gone, and any half jacket bullets either fired or thrown away.

Any modern bullet would be made in a way that it's impossible to have a separation of the core from the jacket.

Administrator - Ammo Brass Trader
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER