Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about 300blk

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Question about 300blk

Is it possible to shoot .310-.311 bullets through this without damaging the rifle (or the shooter)?

If it's safe to do so then that would open up another set of bullet options for me.

Just wondering if anyone has done this safely and if so, what the results were.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'm just learning, so mostley, I would point you over to our friends at cast boolits, but I think you need more info before you go forward. Have you slugged your barrel? Is this a jacketed bullet or cast? Have you thought about trying to size the bullet down to what you need? I bet if you look around cast boolits, you will find someone who has tried this same thing, and maybe even with 300 blackout. I have found that they prefer for people to look around, at least at the stickies before asking questions, and this helps the chances if getting help from a wealth of know how. Having just picked up an upper in 300 blackout, I am still reading all I can on it, and will let you know if I find something that may help.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I haven't checked the barrel or anything, I was just wondering if it was possible to have more options for bullets to use.

I'll most likely stick with .308" projectiles, as I've had plenty of luck with them, but I'll still look around for more input on the subject.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Please don't use bullets that are too large in diameter.

Consult with your reloading data guide for bullet diameter recommendations. To use too large a bullet will cause a TREMENDOUS pressure spike. Keep in mind that the formula in the reloading guide is based on the exact components that they used in their testing. The powder is supposed to burn and turn to gas before the bullet leaves the brass case, and then push the bullet down the barrel. Too large a bullet will cause the pressure spike to stall in the chamber area, possibly destroying the gun, fingers, etc..... Even with a reduced powder load, the results will be catastrophic and unpredictable.

Leave the larger diameter bullets for what they were intended for, and use ONLY the proper sized bullets in the 300 blackout.

Administrator - Ammo Brass Trader
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    Buy yourself a Lee .308 Bullet Sizing Die and size the bullet down. To reiterate what Duke stated, you are just looking for problems. David

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Pretty much as I figured.. Better to ask and know though I guess

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Happyguy View Post
    Buy yourself a Lee .308 Bullet Sizing Die and size the bullet down. To reiterate what Duke stated, you are just looking for problems. David
    You might be on to something with this... Anyone else have any input?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Did a search on cast boolits and found this, http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...cketed-bullets

Looks like some case lube and the right lee sizer should work. Worth a try anyhow.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    I do it all of time with jacketed bullets. They also work great for sizing down 9mm cases for 30 caliber jackets although I had to have one specially made in .304 so that the jacket would fit in the swaging die.

I use Imperial sizing wax but just about any lube will work for sizing jacketed bullets. David
    Last edited by Happyguy; 08-03-2014 at 10:22 AM.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Can this be done in a standard lee single stage press? Might be worth the ~$20 just to have the die around if that's the case...

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    It can. Are you talking the C press or the O press? It doesn't take much pressure to go from .311 to .308. David
    Last edited by Happyguy; 08-03-2014 at 04:55 PM.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Ive done this myself, it works fine, I had a whole pile of pulled FMJ from Soviet 762x54R i sized them down for use in a 30-06 again worked fine.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I have the newer O type press, challenger breech lock.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    You should have no worries. David

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Hey, you guys are talking him INTO this!

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gandog56 View Post
    Hey, you guys are talking him INTO this!
    Which side of the fence are you on? Good idea or bad idea?

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Well, I ordered a lee .308 sizing die and some .311 123gr FMJ (lead core) bullets to try out... Should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. Hopefully I don't blow my face off

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Let us know if you blow your face off. Maybe we can pass the hat to get a new one.

As long as they check out at .308 after, I bet your face will be safe if you are using good load data. Do you have good load data for the then .308 123gr bullets?

Speaking of load data for 300, has anybody noticed that a lot if not all the subsonic loads start at max?

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I have good data for 125gr bullets, I'd start with that. As for buying a new face, well, I'm not afraid to admit that I'm no spring chicken

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I got my .308 sizing die and some 123gr FMJ .310 bullets for 7.62x39 yesterday, ran them through the sizing die with standard case lube. My calipers said they were right at .308 afterward, so I should be good to go. I haven't loaded any up yet as I have to try to get the lube off of them, but at $17/100 they should be better than $23/100 I was paying for 150gr hornady .308 FMJs...

I'll report back after I've loaded and shot a few