Thread: Am I the only one that...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Am I the only one that...

When trimming my brass, an I the only one that chamfers outside a bit, then inside, then outside, until I am happy? When I started trimming, I figured it was a good way to not mess up the mouth by going back and forth. As I was trimming tonight, I came across a piece that had a chip missing in the mouth, and it ended up being beyond what I was trimming off. Most times, I toss it in the scrap bucket and move on. This time, I took my chamfer tool and outside trimmed a bit and then inside trimmed and watched for the chip to disappear. What I noticed was I was making a flare. I got sidetracked from my fist test and played with this flare some more. Still don't think I like the idea of trimming a bit more to save a case, but now I think my alternating as I chamfer is a good idea.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Jou have to be careful that if you chamfer too much, you are actually making the case a bit shorter. A very bad thing if you are reloading them to anywhere near a max load.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Making the case shorter was the point at the start, until I noticed how it was deforming the case. The case was going to the scrap bucket already. I just thought it conferred my need to alternate inside and outside chamfer until the case is good.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I chamfer outside then inside, but try to leave a bit of the face flat... My VLD chamfer tool makes it a bit of a challenge though.