Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Brown brass"

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Still sounds like an extra tumbling to me, I only tumble them once.

UNLESS they are bottle necked cases. Then I run them through the vibratory after I size them to get rid of the case lube. But If I did it his way I would have to tumble them THREE times!

And I still prefer corncob to walnut. Corncob puts on a much glossier shine.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jebsca View Post
    Based on what I have read, I try to put a pound each of ss media, brass, and water in each drum. I add a bit of dish soap and lemi-shine. I have played with the run time, and two hours looks about as good as it gets, even with some very dirty range brass. Then I set it out to dry over night. This is afer a quick run in the walnut and then decap and resize. The run in the walnut is more to protect my dies than anything else. BTW, I go my media at midway, but at only using two pounds, I think I would have been better off to use the link that gandog had for a two pound pack.

I have a BIG drum. Holds 5 pounds of stainless steel media.

Nyah nyah, mine is bigger than yours!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gandog56 View Post
    Nyah nyah, mine is bigger than yours!
    Wish I could say this is the first time someone has told me this. But, at 6' 1 and 250, people love to point out when theirs is bigger than mine.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I soak those types of cases in plain old distilled vinegar for a day. Cuts the tarnish. Then a quick rinse, pop into a low heat oven on a cookie sheet. Dry. Then tumble in walnut

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have been getting great results with my wet-tumbling set-up. I had to adjust the amounts of the ingredients that I use for the solution (added more Dawn, enough to make a "head" of bubbles in the tumbler barrels).

Wet tumbled 1.jpg Wet tumbled 2.jpg

The first picture was some once-fired brass that was pretty clean to begin with. The second picture was range brass and several pieces of old Canadian military (IVI headstamp) brass that was definitely brown. When I took them out of the tumbler I had to dig around to find the IVI stuff, it was as shiny as all the others.

Ed

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Got to love the results. Makes me wish I had got the stuff sooner.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WarEagleEd View Post
    I have been getting great results with my wet-tumbling set-up. I had to adjust the amounts of the ingredients that I use for the solution (added more Dawn, enough to make a "head" of bubbles in the tumbler barrels).

Wet tumbled 1.jpg Wet tumbled 2.jpg

The first picture was some once-fired brass that was pretty clean to begin with. The second picture was range brass and several pieces of old Canadian military (IVI headstamp) brass that was definitely brown. When I took them out of the tumbler I had to dig around to find the IVI stuff, it was as shiny as all the others.

Ed
    Welcome to the "Dark" side. Luke!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gandog56 View Post
    Welcome to the "Dark" side. Luke!
    As clean as the brass gets, I don't think that would be the dark side. The dark side would be not cleaning you brass at all. I think.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Ewwww! That's would be like not wiping your butt!

Feedback Score
    New here, so Hello to everyone. Harbor freight dual tumbler with SS media ,Lemmeshine and Dawn after depriming with a Harvey Deprimer. The Harvey Deprimer is best $50 bucks I ever spent. www.harveydeprimer.com . After the cases are dry, lube , resize,trim to length and chamfer . For high gloss and lube removal run cases in vibratory tumbler with a little Nu-Finish auto polish added to the corncob.Prime and load and you will have the shiniest cases at the range.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Welcome to the forum, Sarge756,

I debated getting the Harvey Deprimer so I could deprime at home (my reloading set-up was at my parent's house at the time). I ended up getting the Lee Universal Decapping die.

Ed