Thread: Shooting range policy

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Shooting range policy

I've been out with cancer for about a year. I started getting back into my hobby of reloading and going to the range. I've been a member at a particular range for 30+ years and spent a fair bit of money there. I was amazed to see cameras mounted on the ceiling. Then I noticed the signs stating the range's policy regarding brass pickup. I thought for safety purposes, but ... So I started shooting and feeling very rusty. Some of my brass bounced out beyond the firing line, so I went over to a brass bucket and picked out a few pieces of brass equal to the number that had bounced beyond the firing line. At this point some new employee came over and told me I couldn't do this. I asked to speak with the owner. In talking to the owner, who I have known for many years, apparently some individuals were dumping brass wholesale from the buckets into their range bags! The Obama scare has created such a demand for brass that some few individuals have been stealing their brass. I understand the dilema the owner is in. However, I nicely did make it clear if I could not pick up my brass I would find another range. I was told I could pick up any of my brass that lands on the floor but beyond the firing line and the buckets are off limits. Whether it is a just few pieces or not.

There are outdoor ranges to the east of where I live. I guess I will be checking them out... Sadly. This range also sells guns and I have bought many from them over the years, transferred guns, etc. I understand the owners situation, but it just rubs me the wrong way.

I wonder what is next?
    Last edited by 1blue; 06-17-2013 at 05:24 PM.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Business is booming but some people never have enough $$$$. I do not live near any gun ranges but my local gunshop is the best.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I went back and ran into some guys at the range that I commonly see. They welcomed me back and we spoke for sometime. When they left one of the guys swept up his brass and came over and dumped it in my range bag. This very nice gesture made my day. I was afraid that the range experience I could expect would be sterile, big brother, unfriendly, etc. I guess cancer can take you on a roller coaster emotionally.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Believe me, the cameras are not uncommon now. It's to protect the range, not to spy on individuals.