PDA

View Full Version : Lee mold handle question

Mbaker78
11-26-2019, 09:03 PM
I was going to look on cast boolets, but there is way too much to sort through there.

Does anyone happen to know if handles from a lee 2 cavity mold will fit a lee 6 cavity mold?

I have a 2 cavity mold that I think I ruined though inexperience, so I figure I could salvage the handles if they’ll fit on a 6 cavity mold. I know that the handles aren’t that expensive, but already on my casting bench is cheaper still.

Thanks in advance for any input.

SafetyJoe
11-27-2019, 07:47 AM
No, the 6 cavity and 2 cavity lee mold handles aren't the same and you can't interchange them.

Mbaker78
11-27-2019, 10:48 AM
Bummer. Thanks though.

SafetyJoe
11-27-2019, 10:07 PM
No, problem. You're welcome.

The lee 6 cavity mold handles also work for the NOE bullet molds (http://noebulletmolds.com/main/).

Mbaker78
11-28-2019, 08:36 PM
I like the look of the NOE molds, but I think I’d like to get some more experience before making that type of investment.

SafetyJoe
11-28-2019, 10:33 PM
Yeah, they cost more than the lee molds and the quality is better, but I agree it's a good idea to start off with lee molds. I own more lee molds than NOE molds. For the money Lee molds are really good. Just be sure to keep the sprue plate pivot and lock up points lubed with beeswax otherwise you'll have problems. I usually have to lube mine every 15 minutes or so.
The good news when it comes to NOE molds is they run sales every couple months. Usually around 20% off. You have to be on their email list though.
I like their molds designed for powder coating because there's no lube grooves.

DukeInFlorida
12-02-2019, 09:17 AM
The Lee six cavity mold handles also fit on ALL of the Mihec (MP-Molds) molds that run on the group buys at CastBoolits.

Because of health issues, I have retired from being one of the honchos there. However, I think the other honchos might be persuaded into running another Group Buy for MP-Molds mold handles. They are the best made handles I have ever used/owned. And, the price (during a group buy) is comparable to the Lee handles, and cheaper than the NOE handles (which Swede Nelson outsources).

The MP-Mold handles are made in house. He also offers a cheap deal, with free shipping, on any handles ordered WITH a mold. So, it's always a sweet deal.

Rather than swapping out handles on molds all the time, I install a dedicated set of handles on ALL molds that I own. I have a cube organizer (https://www.homedepot.com/p/ClosetMaid-24-in-W-x-32-in-H-White-Stackable-25-Cube-Organizer-78506/206938190)of molds/handles that I use, which I got at Home Depot. They hold dozens and dozens of molds with handles.

DukeInFlorida
12-02-2019, 09:18 AM
The Lee six cavity mold handles also fit on ALL of the Mihec (MP-Molds) molds that run on the group buys at CastBoolits.

Because of health issues, I have retired from being one of the honchos there. However, I think the other honchos might be persuaded into running another Group Buy for MP-Molds mold handles. They are the best made handles I have ever used/owned. And, the price (during a group buy) is comparable to the Lee handles, and cheaper than the NOE handles (which Swede Nelson outsources).

The MP-Mold handles are made in house. He also offers a cheap deal, with free shipping, on any handles ordered WITH a mold. So, it's always a sweet deal.

Rather than swapping out handles on molds all the time, I install a dedicated set of handles on ALL molds that I own. I have a cube organizer (https://www.homedepot.com/p/ClosetMaid-24-in-W-x-32-in-H-White-Stackable-25-Cube-Organizer-78506/206938190)of molds/handles that I use, which I got at Home Depot. They hold dozens and dozens of molds with handles.