PDA

View Full Version : A new "what are you doing in the loading room today" thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Bullet45120
04-19-2020, 07:54 AM
What is the advantage of wet tumbling, what equipment do you wet tumble in and what wet material do you wet tumble with? Tim

Mbaker78
04-19-2020, 08:12 AM
I like wet tumbling because I can do a lot more at a time. But I don’t do it the same as most people do. I just use water and cleaning solution (frankford arsenal ultrasonic additive).

My tumbler holds 7 liters, so I can do about 1000 223 cases at a time. I run them for 2-3 hours then rinse them well before putting them in a food dehydrator for a few hours at 190.

They come out fairly shiny on the outside, though the inside and primer pockets don’t get that clean, but that doesn’t bother me.

lightman
04-19-2020, 11:01 AM
I’ve also been searching around the internet, trying to find some wheel weight alloy or similar for less than $1.50/lb, not having much luck so far.

Look in the swapping and selling section over on the Cast Boolits site. About weekly someone has some for sale.

WarEagleEd
04-19-2020, 05:23 PM
I ran a load of assorted caliber brass through the tumbler and sorted a bunch of brass.

Mbaker78
04-19-2020, 06:02 PM
Look in the swapping and selling section over on the Cast Boolits site. About weekly someone has some for sale.

Every one I’ve seen so far has already been sold... it goes quick

curt48mauser
04-19-2020, 07:19 PM
Hi Mbaker78,
I have already gotten a new single stage press from them from when I was reforming 30-06 into 8mm, I'd say they have been treated pretty fairly-I dislike abusing that good will in the event something major really happens and I would hope to have a warranty honored.:rolleyes:
But I get where you are coming from with the spare parts supply.

LEP
04-20-2020, 06:50 AM
Sorting out what I got in a local trade, yesterday. 320 pieces 7x57 & 8x57 1x brass, 250 pieces 45 LC 1x, and over 800 bullets (.284 & .323).

WarEagleEd
04-20-2020, 06:53 PM
What is the advantage of wet tumbling, what equipment do you wet tumble in and what wet material do you wet tumble with? Tim

I use a Lortone model 33B. I use some Lemi-Shine, non-concentrated Dawn dish detergent, and water. I get my stainless steel pins from Best Byte (https://www.bestbyte.net/) computers in Katy, TX. The Lortone 33B can't process a lot of brass at a time (just about a pound per barrel, the 33B has two barrels), but it suits my needs. My brass comes out very clean inside and out. Primer pockets usually come out just as clean, but sometimes there is a little residue left inside the pocket. With the vibratory cleaner I had issues with bits of the abrasive getting stuck in flash hole and powder/dust accumulation on brass that then had to be cleaned. I don't know if, generally speaking, there is any significant advantage to wet-tumbling.

As far as reloading related stuff, today I wet-tumbled a batch of .38 special and 9mm brass.

Mbaker78
04-22-2020, 09:49 AM
I unloaded a few hundred rounds over the last couple days, now I get to sort the brass from that.

ordered 100 pounds of lead (50 Linotype and 50 pure), my mailman is going to hate me when that shows up.

lightman
04-30-2020, 01:38 PM
Sorted out about a coffee can of brass that either me and the Wife or me and a buddy picked up this week. Also sorted out a bucket of wheel weights that I picked up from the local tire shop. My lead to junk ratio is still holding up pretty well. About 70% lead.

WarEagleEd
04-30-2020, 07:50 PM
I ran some .45 ACP and some .44 Magnum through the tumbler. I removed the primers from the .45 over the last two days.

DukeInFlorida
04-30-2020, 08:57 PM
I really support my local reloading supply shop. I buy whatever I can there, and they often give me some good deals.

Today, I got a GREAT deal. Some old guy had come in and dropped off about 50 pounds of various lead ingots, and suggested that the shop donate them to someone who could use them. So, they were given to me.

I have a custom made lead hardness tester, and will run them through the testing tomorrow. There were also a whole coffee can of raw wheel weights.

It pays to support your local suppliers.

b2lee
05-02-2020, 09:25 AM
Ran a few hundred pieces of 308 through a Sinclair Neck Mandrel Die...now waiting on some bullets to be delivered so I can load them up.

Mbaker78
05-02-2020, 03:49 PM
Sorted the brass from my last couple trip out unloading. Got some bonus blackout brass out of the deal too from a friend. Deprived everything last night. Tumbled the 223, blackout, and 6.8spc today. Now it’s all drying.

Scored 8lbs of WC844, so I’m going to work up a few 223 loads with that sometime this week.

Maybe while I’m laid off I can actually get my reloading cave cleaned, I doubt it though.

DukeInFlorida
05-03-2020, 09:30 AM
Made some 44 Magnum dummy / snap cap rounds.
I see that snap caps for the 44 Magnum size are kind of expensive. About $16 at Amazon. And, while functional to keep the hammer pin and hammer spring safe, they are just plastic, and don't really simulate the weight of the cartridges I shoot for the Lawn Steel game. (see my signature/tag line)

I bought a safe queen version of a S&W 629 (stainless steel) 44 Mag, with 8 1/2" barrel. Did a nice trigger job on it, but have had very little range time with it. My primary purpose for buying this gun was to shoot the Lawn Steel shooting game that I love so much. Great trigger pull is critical for hitting called shots, and collecting nickels.

So, I used some matching 44 Mag brass (I really like the Starline brass!), and some of the actual cast lead bullets I use for the shooting game. 215 grain Lyman SWC's.
1) I full length resized the brass.
2) DID NOT install any primers (see step #6 )
3) Bell mouthed the brass, as normal, to accept the cast bullets
4) Installed the 215 grain cast bullets, which are normally lube/sized (Not really a fan of PC)
5) Crimped the bullets in place, as normal.
6) Squirted some clear silicone in the primer pockets, making sure that some got into the flash hole, and that there was excess sticking out of the primer pocket itself.
7) Allowed those to really set dry (silicone) for a full day. The aquarium type silicone hardens rather hard, but will still take a beating.
8) Sliced off excess silicone with new singe sided razor blade.
9) Painted the cast bullets with White Out as a primer. Allowed to dry for an hour.
10) Painted the White Out area on the bullets with flourescent orange paint (Testors, model paints)
11) Allowed those to really dry overnight.

The result is amazing. I have some other snap caps / dummy rounds, commercially made in other chamberings (see the image with the plastic box containing other commercially made dummy rounds). They all have plastic dummy bullets in flourescent orange and bright yellow, so my eye will see the new ones I just made as dummy rounds right away. The have the exact same weight (well, minus the otherwise very small weight of the non-existing powder) as the rounds that I shoot. So, trigger pull practice will be right on!
359 360

WarEagleEd
05-08-2020, 07:45 PM
Duke,

Those home-made dummy rounds are pretty cool!

I tumbled some .32 ACP brass along with some .30 Carbine brass from my dad's decades old stash (LC 52 head stamp).

All this brass I have been cleaning lately has really helped me clean up my tiny reloading bench, though most of it wasn't on my reloading bench. As I have been clearing it off I keep finding small batches of brass. If I didn't leave a small note with the brass, then I have to try to remember its provenance. Anyhow, I have much more room on my reloading bench now.

I buy my stainless steel pins for wet tumbling from Best Byte Computers (https://www.bestbyte.net/1-lb-047x-255-in-stainless-pellet-pins-tumbling-media.html) in Katy, TX. I really like these ss pins. They are 0.047" X 0.255" and don't get stuck in flash holes or anywhere else in the case, with two exceptions thus far for me, .25 Auto and .30 Carbine. When stuck in .25 Auto or near the mouth of .30 Carbine cases they are easily removed (I straightened part of a paper clip and bent the tip into a hook that I can use to remove the pin). If they are stuck down near the flash hole in .30 Carbine, I have to use thin needle nose pliers to remove them. What's interesting is that the inside diameter of a .30 Carbine case is greater than the length of a single pin. What happens is that two pins end up stacked perpendicular to each other, then get wedged in the case. I assume the inside diameter gets smaller toward the base of the case and that causes the stuck pins to be that much more "stuck." This doesn't occur a lot, as I only had 3 cases out of 50-60 (edit: I was way off on my brass count, there were 159 pieces of .30 carbine that I cleaned) that got the pins wedged down close to the flash hole, but it does require me to look inside each and every .30 carbine case that I clean in order to check for stuck pins. Since I don't process a lot of .30 carbine brass it doesn't really matter to me, but if I did process a bunch of it, I would use shorter ss pins, if I could find them.

DukeInFlorida
05-09-2020, 02:16 PM
The shipping cost takes them out of the running
-------------------
Low cost flat rate shipping for this part is available to all 50 states, $7.80 up to 10 lbs by USPS Priority Mail small flat rate box or $14.95 per 50 lbs by medium flat rate box.
---------------------------

Amazon has a better deal if you are a Prime member. I bought the 2.5 pound deal a few years ago, and I think they will last a lifetime....

SafetyJoe
05-10-2020, 02:38 PM
Padded flat rate envelope is only 5 cents more than the small flat rate box and it holds 3 times more.

The shipping cost takes them out of the running
-------------------
Low cost flat rate shipping for this part is available to all 50 states, $7.80 up to 10 lbs by USPS Priority Mail small flat rate box or $14.95 per 50 lbs by medium flat rate box.
---------------------------

Amazon has a better deal if you are a Prime member. I bought the 2.5 pound deal a few years ago, and I think they will last a lifetime....

WarEagleEd
05-10-2020, 08:01 PM
Currently, Amazon has ss pins for $19.50 for 2.5 lbs, but you will also be charged tax (state tax in my state is 4% which would make the total bill $20.28). The same pins would be $20.05 from Best Byte, but tax is included.

SafetyJoe
05-10-2020, 08:45 PM
$18.65 on ebay for 2.5 lbs and free shipping (https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-1-2-Pounds-Stainless-Steel-Tumbling-Media-Pins-2-5lb-047-x-255-Made-in-USA/171800772392?epid=10011377154&hash=item28001fbf28:g:JCsAAOSwpdpVYUB7)
$21.69 for 3 lbs (https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Pounds-Stainless-Steel-Tumbling-Media-Pins-3lb-047-x-255-Made-in-USA/171800762782?epid=1524755068&hash=item28001f999e:g:CaIAAOSweW5VYTrV)
$25.69 for 4 lbs (https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pounds-Stainless-Steel-Tumbling-Media-Pins-4lb-047-x-255-Made-in-USA/171800749963?epid=1127795309&hash=item28001f678b:g:x1UAAOSweW5VYTcG)

Same pins I've been using for a couple years. They work good.

Currently, Amazon has ss pins for $19.50 for 2.5 lbs, but you will also be charged tax (state tax in my state is 4% which would make the total bill $20.28). The same pins would be $20.05 from Best Byte, but tax is included.

Mbaker78
05-11-2020, 04:06 AM
I don’t even use pins. I’m not really that worried about the primer pockets or insides of the cases, I just want the outside clean so my dies don’t get scratched.

DukeInFlorida
05-12-2020, 05:42 AM
Which is the exact correct reason for cleaning brass. So your sizing dies don't get scratched.

Beyond that, it's all just a matter of personal taste.
Some people want to see their faces in the shiny brass. Etc.

However, except in extreme situations, cleaning the brass so meticulously really doesn't affect case volume or performance. In most cases, properly made cartridges should be better than the shooters ability to shoot them.

I don’t even use pins. I’m not really that worried about the primer pockets or insides of the cases, I just want the outside clean so my dies don’t get scratched.

Mbaker78
05-12-2020, 06:57 AM
However, except in extreme situations, cleaning the brass so meticulously really doesn't affect case volume or performance.

My shooting skill definitely isn’t capability of telling a difference between meticulously clean or just well washed, so I don’t bother.

Maybe I can get some practice in this summer to where it might matter, but I doubt it, it’s just a hobby for me.

lightman
05-12-2020, 02:09 PM
I just started resizing a medium flat rate box of 40 S&W brass that I got in a trade. Its starting to rain and I rather enjoy sitting in my loading room and looking out of the window.

Mbaker78
05-15-2020, 07:52 AM
I haven’t done much at the loading bench lately other than loading up test loads for 223, WC844 powder under 62spbt, 62 steel core, and 75BTHP.

I intended to try them out at the range the other day, but that trip got cut short when someone hit another member with an ND. The guy that was injured was taken to the hospital but should be fine other than having a couple extra holes in him. The guy that had the ND was obviously rattled and the firearm in question was taken as evidence.

At the end of the day there was no permanent damage, but it just goes to show how important the commandments of gun safety are.

b2lee
05-15-2020, 06:27 PM
Ouch!!! I hope he is fine. What was the weapon? Pistol? Rifle? and what round? I've had 45's whiz by my ear lobes....not a good feeling....I've had hunting rounds hit above me in the trees....no idea what direction they came from was disconcerting....and other things.....but...when it's my turn to work in the pits...I get really weird feeling....but I don't tell anyone.

Mbaker78
05-15-2020, 07:17 PM
It was a 303 British. I’m not very proficient with WWII rifles, unfortunately, so I couldn’t tell you what the rifle was.

The round went through some foam and the side of the rifle case before it went through his leg. He also had a shrapnel wound in his back from the plastic gun case.

SafetyJoe
05-18-2020, 10:17 PM
Finished melting over a ton of wheel weights into lead muffins. I think I have officially acquired my lifetime supply of bullet casting lead. It took me several years to accumulate this much. I feel accomplished now. That's a 40 gallon tote they are in and that's sitting on a strong concrete floor.

https://i.imgur.com/HlKNusF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/aN3Qs9t.jpg

lightman
05-19-2020, 06:30 AM
Thats a nice pile of ingots! I for one can appreciate the work that was involved.

DukeInFlorida
05-19-2020, 06:38 AM
Are they all of exactly the same hardness?

I commonly create a batch of lead to cast into similar ingots. I measure the hardness of each batch and write that on the ingots with a sharpie pen that way I know if I'm casting rifle bullets to use the harder alloy. And if doing pistol bullets I know to use the softer alloy batches. Having a tub of randomly hard ingots could be confusing in the future

SafetyJoe
05-19-2020, 06:44 AM
I use a punch set to label mine. A " W " for wheel weight, a " SW " for stick on wheel weights, a " R " for range scrap, a " P " for pure roof sheeting lead, and a " S " for range pickup slugs. I have a lee hardness tester, but haven't tested any of the hardness yet. I don't load much rifle bullets and when I do the wheel weights have worked fine.

Are they all of exactly the same hardness?

I commonly create a batch of lead to cast into similar ingots. I measure the hardness of each batch and write that on the ingots with a sharpie pen that way I know if I'm casting rifle bullets to use the harder alloy. And if doing pistol bullets I know to use the softer alloy batches. Having a tub of randomly hard ingots could be confusing in the future

Mbaker78
05-20-2020, 04:05 PM
I scored a lee 356-124rn mold, .356 bullet sizing die, and 9mm 3 die set today at my local shop. Now I can start loading 9mm, since I just got a steal on a 9mm barrel for my M&P40.

I think I’m going to powder coat some of the bullets I already have cast though, before I start with the 9mm stuff.

b2lee
05-21-2020, 05:46 PM
I scored a lee 356-124rn mold, .356 bullet sizing die, and 9mm 3 die set today at my local shop. Now I can start loading 9mm, since I just got a steal on a 9mm barrel for my M&P40.

I think I’m going to powder coat some of the bullets I already have cast though, before I start with the 9mm stuff.

That's exactly what I did....drop in barrel for the M&P40...and use the same magazines....powder coat some 124gr bullets...I went truncated cone though...so..not 'exactly' but close enough...

Mbaker78
05-22-2020, 08:19 AM
I was hoping for the tumble lube TC version, but the RN was all he had in stock. I still need to clean it before I can use it.

I sized and checked the 452-300 bullets I powder coated, they look like they should do pretty well for 450 bushmaster. I sized up what I had coated of the 309-230 and added them to the collection.

I still have a couple hundred more of them to coat along with a couple hundred of the 312-160.

My next step is to process the brass I got from the last couple range trips, sort out stuff to cut down for blackout, and get everything cleaned up.

Mbaker78
05-28-2020, 06:14 AM
Over the last couple days I’ve cutdown a few hundred for blackout, sized and tumbled all of that plus the other blackout I had.

Went and did some shooting with my dad for Memorial Day, luckily the rain held off for a bit.

I deprimed and tumbled all of the 308win I had been sitting on for some unknown reason, there was a lot more than I thought, I almost had too much to tumble in one batch.

Cleaned all of the 40 I had laying around that was deprimed.

Being laid off has helped my reloading progress immensely, if nothing else.

lightman
06-22-2020, 10:11 AM
Just finished sorting through about a gallon of range brass that me and a buddy picked up last week. I washed the dirty stuff and deprimed it and its in line at the tumbler.

DukeInFlorida
06-23-2020, 11:59 AM
Prepping to SWAGE 5,000 pcs of 5.7 X 28 FN (as the donor jackets) into .30 cal bullets. Two weights, 150 grains for my 300 Blackout, and 168 for my 308 Win.

They are about to go through the furnace to BURN off the plastic coating to ash. The, they have to SS pin tumble, with extra ceramic pins, for a few hours to get the rest of the plastic residue off.

Making cores as I type this.

I'm wayyyyyyyyyyyyy behind on making 30 cal (.308") bullets.

Mbaker78
07-02-2020, 08:26 AM
Duke, how do the 168s compare to something like a SMK? And excluding equipment, how does cost per bullet stack up against something commercial? I’d love to get into swaging for my 308, but I doubt it’d be worth it for me to buy all of the equipment.

DukeInFlorida
07-04-2020, 06:51 AM
I have accumulated the gear over time, so spreading out the cost was not all that painful.
RMatchell just did it recently, and I think did it all in one swoop.

So, presuming my hobby time is FREE.
And, I get to collect range lead from my shooting range = free
And, I have been saving/trading the 5.7 X 28 FN brass for years = almost free (some postage occasionally involved in a trade)

So, the cost of my home swaged bullets is virtually FREE, not factoring in the cost of the tooling and some simple mods to my RCBS old style rockchucker.

How do they shoot? I have several "Push Pin Certificates" from hitting 1/4" diameter plastic bulletin board push pins, first shot, with 308's (my swaged bullets) at 100 yds, 200 yds, and 300 yds; using my Savage Mode 12 Long SS barrel (off the shelf, no modifications to the rifle) gun. So, once the load development is done, they shoot equally as well as the expensive Match Grade (pick any manufacturer). They are amazingly accurate.

When I process the 5.7's, I see brass from three different manufacturers, but I process them all the same. The only thing I take great pains with is making the lead cores. Pure lead, cast in a core mold I got from Brian Thurner. I swage the cores twice. First time gets them from as-cast cores to firmly packed cores, but they vary a boit. The second time through the core swage die, they come out within a tenth of a grain. Added to the variation from brass jacket to brass jacket, the weights from bullet to bullet are negligible. It's really more about the load development (powder load). Distance off the lands make NO difference in my testing.

I have two buddies who help me pull the hand;es on the various steps for making these. The only difference between the 150 grain and the 168 grain is the starting weight of the lead core. So, my buddies share in the result of the produced qty.

Lots of information about this swaging thing at Cast Boolits.

Mbaker78
07-04-2020, 07:40 AM
That’s pretty awesome. Maybe down the road I can gather the equipment to swage my own bullets. For now I’m stuck just casting the heavy subs for blackout and pistol calibers, but that’s not an insignificant savings.

lightman
07-07-2020, 09:20 AM
Just a little sorting and a little straightening. I sorted through about a gallon of free wheel weights and about a half gallon of mixed battery cable ends and Duck Decoy weights.

I also sorted a tub of recently acquired range brass and upgraded my trade list.

Mbaker78
07-07-2020, 10:04 AM
I have the last of the 308 and 300aac from my most recent range trip in the tumbler. They’ll all get primed sometime in the not too distant future and everything will be ready to load except for some 223 and 6.8.

b2lee
07-10-2020, 06:08 PM
I made room on my work bench....I have 4 more Inline Fabrication flush mount kits on the way....will give me 6 stations to work with. I should have a nice flow for my process soon.

I also made final payment and got shipping confirmation on my AutotricklerV3....that should be here Tuesday or Wednesday....Thursday I will drop some powder into some 300PRC with the new Autotrickler...and Saturday it is back to TVP to shoot some 1 mile Global BenchRest Association competition. Sure would be nice to pick up my second win for the season.

Mbaker78
07-10-2020, 10:20 PM
I’d love to make it to thunder valley sometime to try to get the 308 out to 1000, but I doubt it’ll be this year.

b2lee
07-11-2020, 06:16 AM
If you ever go....just yell...I'll meet you there and jump on the spotting scope. Then I could let you hope on my 300PRC and get an easy 1 mile hit on an 18" plate....well..it may take a few rounds...but we'll get you a hit...and man is that addictive when you start hitting 1 mile targets. The bad thing is...he is working on 2000+ Yard targets....maybe 2700 yards by next spring......I'll have to build a 37X rifle now...heh

Mbaker78
07-11-2020, 07:21 AM
A 1 mile hit is actually on my bucket list, but I think I still need some more work on fundamentals and reading wind and such before I’ll actually get there.

I’m actually thinking about picking up some type of 22, like a ruger precision rimfire, and working out to 300 since that’s easily available for me, as practice.

b2lee
07-19-2020, 09:25 AM
Today I have to reload 100 rounds of 300PRC. I took down another win in the 1 mile.....and shot some 1000yd in tactical benchrest also....came in second place three times...heh...couldn't win in the playoffs. I was very happy to shoot a 6", 5" and an 8" group in 1000yd bench rest...with an Atlas bipod and a Precision Underground rear bag....so...100% tactical...off a concrete bench.

lightman
07-25-2020, 10:58 AM
Been sorting, depriming and tumbling brass all week!

A friend dropped off a 20mm ammo can of brass and enough cardboard boxes to fill another. He will let me have what I want of it for sorting it.

I tried talking him into putting it on here but he wants to sell it, not trade it!

DukeInFlorida
07-31-2020, 08:20 AM
Brass at the scrap metal dealer, is only bringing about $.80 a pound. Hardly worth the effort to even drive there.
And, unless you have thousands of something, it's hard to find someone wanting only 8-10 pcs of something. Your buddy might be missing the boat, unless he's not a reloader. Non-Reloaders only see dollar signs when it comes to cartridge brass, but are often disappointed when they see how little it fetches in todays market. China's purchases of brass has ceased, especially during the Pandemic, and with the USA's current massive tariffs on commodity goods such as brass.

Could be a good time for your buddy to start reloading, and trade the brass that he doesn't need for stuff he does need. Then again, some people are hardly able to put food on their table or a roof over their heads. I suppose even $.25 a pound for 100 pounds of brass ($25!) would be worth it in some instances. Picking up aluminum cans, either for the deposits or for the aluminum is another current popular way to make a couple of bucks. These are strange times indeed.

lightman
07-31-2020, 06:38 PM
My Buddy is a reloader and is old enough that he considers this as downsizing. He's 10 years older than I am and he has more than even a young persons "lifetime supply" of brass so this is surplus for him. I'll list it on several forums or offer it to some shooting buddies and try to get it into other shooters hands before its sold as scrap.

BRASSCOLLECTOR
08-06-2020, 10:54 AM
This is my first time on the forum. Great site!
I don't know if any of you have tried the method but I have had great success in drying wet brass with my wife's hairdryer.
On another note, I have a ton of mixed cleaned and processed brass (maybe more like a half ton). Some has been tumbled, some
wet processed, some bagged and sealed, etc. I have bee collecting brass from the range for 25 years with the thought that I would
get into the sales business. My focus has now changed to other interests. As such, I am looking for someone who is interested in the
entire lot. I am in the Northern Virginia area.
Also, I have a Star press in .38 special complete and a second one that is 75% complete that I may be interested in parting with.
Again, great forum you have.

Mbaker78
08-07-2020, 08:03 PM
This forum is strictly for trading brass. So if there’s something you’d like to trade for, feel free to start a trade post (check out the rules first) in the trading section. If you’re looking to sell, either castboolits or sagesreloadingforum will be a good place to start, but it’s generally frowned upon here.

Glad you’re here though, stick around and feel free to contribute if you want.

BRASSCOLLECTOR
08-12-2020, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the clarification Mbaker78.

lightman
09-19-2020, 11:38 AM
For the last several days I have been tumbling, sorting, sizing, processing brass. After a busy Summer my loading room is a mess. I've got coffee cans of brass in various stages of being processed stacked everywhere.

Somewhere along the way I pulled out 1000 odd 223's that I plan to load for my AR. I'm choosing the odd headstamped stuff that are crimped because I don't care if I get it back or not.

LEP
09-20-2020, 09:37 AM
Sorting through over 46 Folgers cans of brass in 22 different rifle chamberings. Figured it was a good time to finish standardizing head-stamps and preparing to let go of some excess.

Mbaker78
09-20-2020, 11:24 AM
I’ve loaded up all of my 223 brass and still have a good amount of bullets to load. So I guess I’m down to sorting through the 5gal bucket of range brass I’ve had in my basement for a few years.

I haven’t had much time the last few days to get any reloading done because we just got a 10 week old Malamute puppy, you wouldn’t think they’re so time consuming but it’s crazy. She’s either always moving or asleep, there’s no in between. Once she gets settled in and calms down a bit maybe I can get back to loading.

b2lee
09-23-2020, 07:28 AM
I've been gauging primer pockets and tossing loose pockets on some magnum brass.

Mbaker78
09-23-2020, 08:06 AM
I've been gauging primer pockets and tossing loose pockets on some magnum brass.

I just got my ballistic tools primer pocket gauges in the mail today, no more wasted primers for me.

b2lee
09-24-2020, 11:14 AM
I just got my ballistic tools primer pocket gauges in the mail today, no more wasted primers for me.

Yea...the tool is great....it is sad when the no go end fits down into a $2 piece of brass though :*(

Mbaker78
09-24-2020, 03:11 PM
Ouch, yeah, that would be bad. But primers cost about that much anymore if you go by gunbroker’s pricing.

lightman
09-24-2020, 04:28 PM
Sorting through over 46 Folgers cans of brass in 22 different rifle chamberings. Figured it was a good time to finish standardizing head-stamps and preparing to let go of some excess.

Thats about the amount that I'm trying to work through. I won't let myself get that far behind again! But I've said that before!

Mbaker78
09-25-2020, 12:55 PM
I made it half way through the bucket of brass yesterday. So far I’ve found a couple hundred 223 and almost a full gallon bag of 9mm, which are the two calibers I’m planning on keeping, the rest will go back to the guy that gave me the bucket to sort.

There have been a couple oddballs and interesting finds. The ones that have me scratching my head are the 308. These came from an indoor 25y range, so someone left with a headache ;)

LEP
09-26-2020, 07:39 AM
Thats about the amount that I'm trying to work through. I won't let myself get that far behind again! But I've said that before!

So, I got a bunch sorted then ended up trading with Happyguy. Partially emptied 2 cans to fill two others. Oh-well

lightman
10-12-2020, 11:37 AM
Still sorting, depriming and sizing pistol brass. Over the past weekend I primed 960 out of 1050 odd 223 cases. I culled that odd 90 something due to loose primer pockets. I just pulled out another 100 to process trying to end up with 1040-1050 to load.

Happyguy
10-15-2020, 05:31 PM
Loaded about 600 rounds of 38 Special, loaded for an early S&W, started on loading 45 Colt and getting about 6,000 223 ready to clean and size.

lightman
12-05-2020, 12:55 PM
I just resized and prepped 100 30-06 cases for a loading session tomorrow. I did this while I watched Arkansas play Missouri.

Shawlerbrook
12-05-2020, 04:42 PM
We are in the middle of our deer season here. Once that ends( and I am looking forward to it) I need to load some 45 70 for my Trapdoor and load up some more 356 and 307 Winchester deer ammo. Also want to experiment with some 125/130 gr. bullets for my 30 30 Trapper.

lightman
12-07-2020, 09:33 AM
Its the middle of our Deer season too. I hunted the first 2-1/2 weeks but I plan to go back this week for another go. But while I'm home I'll sort and process the brass that I scrounged from camp.

I'm also slowly building some shelves in my storeroom to hold ammo cans of ammo. These will be made from 2X8's and concrete blocks. I copied the idea from a member over on Snipers Hide. My MS won't let me work long enough at a time to finish them in one session so I work a while and sit a while.

lightman
12-19-2020, 10:39 AM
Whew!!! Got the shelving project done and all of the ammo cans setting on them. A full ammo can is heavy! I still need to rearrange them and get like calibers together. Now I can get around a little better in my loading room.

Probably spend the afternoon sorting and depriming some brass that a couple of buddies brought by. Its raining here and I'll open the blinds and enjoy sitting inside!

Shawlerbrook
12-19-2020, 01:42 PM
Spent the last couple days moving around the 30+” of snow we got. On the bright side, the new tractor worked flawlessly. What an inaugural snowstorm.

Mbaker78
12-19-2020, 09:30 PM
A couple days ago I deprimed and swaged the 700+ pieces of 5.56 brass I got from an auction on Facebook. It’ll probably go in the wet tumbler tomorrow.

lightman
12-29-2020, 08:02 AM
I've mostly been tinkering in the loading room. It seems like sorting and tumbling brass is an ongoing project and thats mostly what I've been doing.

b2lee
01-09-2021, 07:45 AM
I've been shooting 308 so much lately...practicing wind calls...hopefully it translates to my 300PRC when match season rolls around...but shooting 308 so much lately I had to set up the progressive press to reload it. Also, did 700+ rounds of 6.5cm for a friend.

Shawlerbrook
01-10-2021, 11:29 AM
Got my 45 70 brass sized, necks chamfered and primed. Next step is some IMR4198 topped with a GT 390 gr. bullet and I can finally try out my 1884 Trapdoor.

lightman
04-18-2021, 09:57 AM
Earlier this week I sized and lubed about 1200 cast bullets. This morning I loaded 12 of them to try out in 2 different revolvers. The bullet was a H&G 258, a 220 grain Keith Type SWC for the 41 Magnum.

lightman
10-14-2021, 07:48 AM
Just trying to post occasionally and keep the site alive!

I just finished a major clean-up in my storeroom. This is where I store my ammo, brass and cast bullets. It took the Wife and I parts of 4 days, working an hour or so at a time. The shelves kind of resemble the coffee isle at Krogers!

Happyguy
10-14-2021, 09:50 AM
Glad to hear that you were able to clean up. Every time I clean the reloading bench some gremlin comes in behind me and messes it back up. I have been doing some 30-06 and 10 mm and cleaning just a bunch of fired brass getting it prepped for reloading.

SafetyJoe
10-20-2021, 09:36 AM
I'm about to load up 1000+ 45 acp Lee 230 grain RN bullets that I cast from free range scrap lead and powder coated.
https://i.imgur.com/yJy3nGq.jpg

lightman
10-24-2021, 06:00 AM
Not really in the loading room but I need to shoot my muzzle loader after while so I can give it a bath!

lightman
12-19-2021, 02:39 PM
I've been slowly sanding out the barrel channels on 2 rifles. One is a new build and the other is a rebarrel, going from an .835 muzzle to a .900. I work a while and rest for a while.

lightman
01-02-2022, 01:43 PM
This is the time of year that I start processing the brass that I scrounged or traded for so I have been sorting and tumbling brass. Probably will be for a week or so.

Happyguy
01-03-2022, 06:26 PM
Started cleaning some 300 WM brass, sizing, cleaning some 32 Win Special brass and 243 Win brass and putting away some 455 brass and 8 mm Nambu brass and bullets. I will start loading some 380 later.

SafetyJoe
01-05-2022, 07:52 AM
I started cleaning my brass in the warmer months because I now utilize the sun to dry my wet tumbled brass by laying it out on a bed sheet in the lawn. So in the winter I do other brass prep tasks like sizing and trimming bottle neck calibers or powder coating bullets.

lightman
01-08-2022, 01:56 PM
Back to sorting and tumbling brass.

DeanoBeanCounter
01-09-2022, 09:00 PM
I lost a funnel. Spent the day cleaning up looking for it. Sadly I need to buy a new one. With the way they say, that's when I'll find the old one.
Dean

Happyguy
01-10-2022, 02:05 PM
At least you remembered what you lost. I have to clean my reloading area about every 6 weeks and it is amazing what I find, old objects new treasures. David

lightman
01-14-2022, 12:35 PM
I'm still sorting and tumbling brass. Probably will be all weekend. Its forecast to rain and its an inside job. Sometimes I think 9mm and 223 breed when left in a tub!

Happyguy
01-18-2022, 09:26 AM
I cleaned about 1,000 223 cases and then sorted and stored them.

lightman
01-18-2022, 10:58 AM
I just finished sorting and tumbling last years accumulation of brass. I'll probably spend the afternoon storing it away. My storeroom looks like the Folgers coffee isle at the grocery store! And just put Happyguy's brass in the mail.

Happyguy
01-19-2022, 04:22 PM
I was able to do some more cleaning on the bench and loaded about 300 380 ACP. Put away the 8mm Nambu and 455 Webley brass. I had cleaned a bunch of 7mm Mag, 7.5x55 and 6.8 SPC which I also put into storage.

1blue
01-19-2022, 05:11 PM
Added 300 pounds of lead to my casting supply @ 75 cents per pound! Sized and deprimed, trimmed, swaged and polished a bunch of 5.56 I picked up from the range. Also brought home some 9mm and 380. A few 10mm also. Tumbled the 9mm to reload. Left overs will get sized, deprimed, polished with SS pins and placed in a new storage container. So in addition, I'll start some 45acp and 357mag reloading tomorrow...

Happyguy
01-21-2022, 09:29 AM
Loaded some 8mm Nambu and headed to the range to test. I found some FMJ bullets and I have some plated.

Happyguy
01-21-2022, 11:28 AM
Did some 9mm and 45 earlier this morning.

Happyguy
01-21-2022, 03:38 PM
I went to the range and tried the 8mm Nambu and they worked just fine, I will load some more now.

1blue
01-21-2022, 06:01 PM
Came across an estate sale. I purchased two, four cavity Lyman bullet molds with handles. The old style that have the pivot at the top of the mold, rather than the newer handles that pivot in the center. There were extra handles so I bought two for future purchases... There was also some old powder, 4895 and 2400, bought it all. Normally, I don't buy brass, but today I did. 30 Carbine and 30-06. So I will be prepping brass this weekend.

Happyguy
01-22-2022, 09:04 AM
Processing some 44 Special that I received in trade.

Happyguy
01-22-2022, 05:20 PM
Just got back from the range after an afternoon shooting with daughter. Now I am preparing 380, 8 mm Nambu and 45 Colt for cleaning and polishing.

lightman
01-22-2022, 06:03 PM
Harassing the scammers! :rolleyes:

Happyguy
01-22-2022, 08:11 PM
I second that!

Happyguy
01-23-2022, 01:18 AM
Tag, next one up.

SafetyJoe
01-23-2022, 06:27 AM
It's been very cold around here so not many people have been going to the shooting ranges and leaving brass behind. Even though I started utilizing the sun in the warmer months to dry my wet tumbled clean brass I recently cleaned some rifle brass that I'm going to be adding to my trading list today. This time I had to use my homemade brass dryer to dry the brass though.

SafetyJoe
01-23-2022, 08:47 AM
Updated my list. Added some like 257 roberts, 30-30 win, 270win, 30-06, 10mm, 8mm mauser, 6.5x55mm, 30 carbine and a few others.

seeker
01-24-2022, 03:22 PM
Primed and loaded up (single stage) 210 .223, with 55gr fmj. 210 might sound like weird number but I pack them in Repack ammo boxes that hold 30 rnds. ea. Check them out at repackbox.com

Happyguy
01-26-2022, 03:06 PM
I received the brass from lightman and started processing it. I loaded some more 380 ACP for the daughter to shoot and I will shoot some through my Llama 380.

1blue
01-26-2022, 04:10 PM
Still doing a lot of brass prep from the estate sale I went to recently. Sized and deprimed the 45acp, it's now in the tumbler getting a SS bath. Some are military, so they will head next to the swager. I have 500+ 30 carbine waiting for some attention. Some 30-06, 308 and 5.56 also. Best estate sale I have been to in a long time! Got powder, like new bullet molds with handles, some WWII manuals. I'm on cloud nine. I also came across a guy selling lead for 75cents per pound! Starting off 2022 with some great purchases!

Happyguy
01-26-2022, 07:24 PM
I pulled out some molds and will start up the melter tomorrow.

Happyguy
01-27-2022, 11:30 PM
I was going through my brass today and found some 7.5x55 Swiss I had forgotten about.

LEP
01-29-2022, 10:24 AM
I was going through my brass today and found some 7.5x55 Swiss I had forgotten about.

Interesting. I was about to post that I'm going to do some Berdan reloads using GP-11 brass.

lightman
01-30-2022, 06:21 PM
I just finished sorting a bucket of wheelweights that a buddy dropped off the other day. I'm still getting a pretty good yield of lead, around 50-55%. Right now I depriming about a qt cup of range brass that the same buddy dropped off. And plan to do a little straightening up.

1blue
02-02-2022, 09:10 AM
Finishing up prepping the 30 carbine I got from an estate sale. Then on to reload, them. The estate contacted me. They have a few thousand cast bullets that were never sized and lubed. For my time and lube, they are going to trade me some WWII manuals and more brass. I don't need more 30 carbine, so I'll be putting it out here for trade. Along with some 10mm, 380, and ? It's sort of odd. The owner had a brand new Lyman lubrisizer in the box. So it made me wonder if he lost interest or what happened? What I'm helping with now are 190 grain 45 cal button nose SWC. I'll have to load some and see how they cycle in a 1911. There is also 9mm 125gr conical, wonderin how they cycle also... There are also 357mag 158gr SWC, so I will be busy with those. I'm also going to be working on the 30-06 brass prep. Sizing, deprime, trim, polishing... etc.

SafetyJoe
02-03-2022, 04:26 PM
I ended up shipping out almost 200 lbs of brass today to 7 different people.
181.25 lbs to be exact and yesterday I shipped out 77.25 lbs of brass.
Everything was mainly 9mm, 45acp and 223/556

Happyguy
02-03-2022, 05:58 PM
That should help get your stash down to a manageable amount.

Happyguy
02-03-2022, 10:16 PM
I loaded some 308, I hope to get out and try them for groups tomorrow.

SafetyJoe
02-04-2022, 05:56 AM
Yeah, but I wish I could get rid of some 40sw and 308 win because I have a lot of those.

1blue
02-04-2022, 02:46 PM
Went to the range today with my son. An older gentleman showed up by himself with 11 rifles. (About all I've seen brass wise at the range is 9mm, 223, 40S&W.) This guy began shooting and immediately I knew he was shooting some different caliber rifles. 375 H&H Mag, 300 Win Mag, 444 Marlin, 6.5 Rem Mag, 270 Win, 30.06... I went over and he was not a reloader. So I picked up all his brass. I'm now going through what I got. He didn't shoot a lot of any single caliber, but a decent number over all. The estate sale and now this, off to a great start this year. If primers would show up at a decent price...

Happyguy
02-04-2022, 03:55 PM
Buy a lotto ticket while your luck is hot!

Happyguy
02-05-2022, 10:15 AM
I received some 223 from a trade and started processing it.

Happyguy
02-05-2022, 04:05 PM
Loaded some 45 Colt and 450 Bushmaster. I need to go shooting.

Happyguy
02-06-2022, 12:27 AM
I found some more 303 British tonight.

lightman
02-06-2022, 08:20 AM
I need to get to the range myself. I just mounted 3 scopes and those rifles need shot. Waiting for the snow and ice to melt.

Happyguy
02-07-2022, 09:13 AM
A brand new morning I will have to see what is in store for me in the reloading room today.

lightman
02-08-2022, 11:28 AM
Deprimed about a quart cup of brass.

SafetyJoe
02-09-2022, 06:45 AM
Been processing some 6.5 CM brass

Happyguy
02-09-2022, 11:40 AM
Joe do you shoot 6.5 CM?

Danth
02-09-2022, 03:00 PM
Picked up a bunch of 308 at the range and found them to be Berdan primed. Excellent opportunity to try out converting to Boxer. First swaged the bases and formed into 6,5 x 50. Next built a Berdan tool to extract primer. Tomorrow will drill cases to take primer punch, seat bushing in primer pocket, swage bushing to accept small rifle primer. A lot of work, but just want to try something new.

SafetyJoe
02-09-2022, 04:40 PM
Nope, I just reload 6.5cm for an old friend.

1blue
02-09-2022, 10:34 PM
After sizing, depriming, trimming, swaging, I've been polishing 3, 30cal ammo cans full of 30.06. They all got the wet SS treatment and then dried off by tumbling them. They are all beautiful and ready to load. Looking forward to outside shooting this spring. Bought some new 30 carbine magazines that were on sale. I have some loads to work out from the powder I bought at an estate sale. The powders are pretty old, but the cans were not opened. It was stored in a cool dry place. So I'm loading for the 30 carbine with 2400 and the Garand with 4895.

SafetyJoe
02-10-2022, 07:53 PM
I thought brass trader was gone because earlier today nothing came up when I tried to come here.

Happyguy
02-11-2022, 12:06 AM
I wasn't too worried when I saw that Cast Boolits was down also.

SafetyJoe
02-11-2022, 06:31 AM
Yeah, I should have checked over there too.

Happyguy
02-11-2022, 04:40 PM
Back to the top

Happyguy
02-12-2022, 12:33 AM
Another day another reloading opportunity.

SafetyJoe
02-12-2022, 10:26 AM
Still uniforming the flash holes in some 6.5cm brass

Happyguy
02-12-2022, 04:28 PM
I decided to do some primer pocket and flash uniforming on 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor.

Happyguy
02-13-2022, 09:07 AM
I am going to the range as it is sunny but cold out. I should have lots of brass to process.

Happyguy
02-14-2022, 06:54 PM
I have lots of brass now to process.

SafetyJoe
02-14-2022, 07:06 PM
Had a local guy contact me and said he's been accumulating brass for 30 years and his dad has been for even longer. He said he has several 55 gal drums full of brass he wants to sell me so I'm looking forward to that deal. I'll probably be very busy this summer cleaning brass and adding it to my list.

Happyguy
02-14-2022, 09:05 PM
Congrats on the deal!

Happyguy
02-15-2022, 04:05 PM
Started some Grendel for match loads.

lightman
02-16-2022, 06:55 AM
SafetyJoe, I hope that deal works out for you. Good Luck

Happyguy
02-16-2022, 04:10 PM
Still working on the Grendel brass.

SafetyJoe
02-17-2022, 08:54 AM
I finally got rid of all the 9mm, 223 and 40sw and also some more 308 win brass.
I added this to my trading post today.
I also have range scrap lead ingots available.
Corn cob shaped and lyman ingots
Lead was fluxed and is very clean
BNH varies, but is plenty hard for handgun bullet casting

Happyguy
02-17-2022, 03:40 PM
You have been busy.

lightman
02-17-2022, 08:23 PM
Loaded some 308 today for a recently completed build. Lapua brass, Federal 210M primer, IMR4064 and a Sierra ProHunter bullet.

lightman
02-27-2022, 10:00 AM
A few days ago I pulled all of my jacketed bullets off of 3 out of 4 shelves to inventory. Today I'll make a list as I stack them back.

SafetyJoe
02-27-2022, 04:54 PM
Sold 100 lbs of range scrap ingots to a couple local guys today. I still have 500-600 lbs left to get rid of. I also have more 38 special brass than I'll probably ever use so I was thinking about going through what I have and adding some to my list. I finally finished uniforming the flash holes in the 6.5cm brass yesterday.

Happyguy
02-27-2022, 08:12 PM
I did some 30 Carbine and 45 ACP.

Happyguy
02-28-2022, 09:23 AM
Headed to the range, I will have 45 Colt, 380 and 10mm to process when I get back.

Happyguy
02-28-2022, 01:46 PM
Back to the top.

Happyguy
02-28-2022, 03:50 PM
And here we go again.

Happyguy
03-01-2022, 09:44 AM
One more time to the top.

Happyguy
03-01-2022, 04:15 PM
annealing 7.62x39 brass converted to 6.5 Grendel.

Happyguy
03-01-2022, 07:58 PM
Back to the top.

lightman
03-02-2022, 09:39 PM
To the top.

Happyguy
03-03-2022, 05:54 PM
To the top

Happyguy
03-03-2022, 11:54 PM
Back to the top

1blue
03-04-2022, 03:15 PM
I need to buy a lottery ticket! Bought 5-500 round bricks of 22lr from another estate sale. All 5, $100. Picked up more 30 carbine, got them all sized, deprimed and the last batch is getting the wet SS treatment. Bought some 30.06, it was too cheap to pass on. Also picked up some like new Herter's dies. Not a fan, but at $5 each, what is a guy to do? So I got a 30.06 neck sizing die, 30 carbine and a set for 223. Probably won't ever use them? I probably need to go to "reloaders anonymous". Hello my name is...

Happyguy
03-04-2022, 06:12 PM
It is too late to seek help, we will help by taking some of that ill gotten gain from you to ease your mind.

SafetyJoe
03-04-2022, 08:25 PM
I just finished going through several thousand pcs of cleaned and sized and sorted by head stamp 38 special brass I'm going to add to my list soon.

Happyguy
03-05-2022, 10:01 AM
Back up we go.

Happyguy
03-05-2022, 01:49 PM
And off we go again

Happyguy
03-05-2022, 02:45 PM
Off we go again

Happyguy
03-05-2022, 07:00 PM
Here we go again.

Happyguy
03-06-2022, 09:49 AM
Started some 9mm and 38 Super last night.

1blue
03-06-2022, 05:13 PM
Trying to fight spammers with no Administrator(s) sucks!

1blue
03-06-2022, 05:16 PM
annealing 7.62x39 brass converted to 6.5 Grendel.

What do you use to anneal brass? Do you have one of the "can" based annealers or do you do it by hand, just with a torch?

SafetyJoe
03-07-2022, 07:11 AM
Added the 38 special to my list.

lightman
03-07-2022, 05:10 PM
Spam be gone!

Happyguy
03-07-2022, 06:10 PM
Back to the top.

SafetyJoe
03-07-2022, 08:28 PM
Thinking I need to find time to go through all my nickel plated brass to separate out the ones with flaking or scratched plating.

Happyguy
03-08-2022, 08:22 PM
Back up again

Happyguy
03-09-2022, 12:05 AM
Here we go again

lightman
03-09-2022, 07:14 AM
Back to the top.

Happyguy
03-09-2022, 09:17 AM
Back up again

Happyguy
03-09-2022, 10:34 PM
Back to the top again.

SafetyJoe
03-11-2022, 05:43 AM
I have several buckets of range pickup brass I need to start sorting through.

lightman
03-11-2022, 09:39 AM
To the top

Happyguy
03-11-2022, 03:25 PM
Uppity up to the top

Happyguy
03-11-2022, 04:18 PM
Beam me up Scottie

Happyguy
03-11-2022, 11:49 PM
Here we go again

Danth
03-12-2022, 09:52 AM
Sure wish we could get this site back on track, and without all the spam. I've dealt with a lot of very nice people with a wealth of information. Don't understand what satisfaction one gets for posting spam. Can anyone explain?

lightman
03-12-2022, 09:55 AM
I don't understand it either?

But back to the loading room, I deprimed about a half gallon jug of range brass last night. Mostly 9mm and 223 with a few 7.62X39.

Happyguy
03-12-2022, 09:56 AM
No, several of us have contacted the site owner and requested to be made moderator so that we can remove the spam but as yet none of us have been contacted.

Some yahoo from overseas.

Happyguy
03-12-2022, 02:25 PM
I started some more 6.5 Grendel, 45 Colt and 10mm. Working up a 10mm load for my Direct Impingement AR 15.

SafetyJoe
03-12-2022, 02:26 PM
I started sorting through the nickel plated 45acp brass

Happyguy
03-12-2022, 07:13 PM
Higher and higher

1blue
03-12-2022, 09:37 PM
Just picked up small pistol primers and magnum small pistol primers... Cannot believe my luck lately! Locally, no shipping or hazmat! yessss!

Happyguy
03-13-2022, 09:36 AM
After reading 1blue's post I see they are trickling to the west coast, slowly.

Happyguy
03-13-2022, 10:38 PM
To the top again.

Happyguy
03-14-2022, 07:55 PM
Raining here so I wet tumbled some brass.

lightman
03-15-2022, 06:58 AM
Deprimed some brass and harassed the spammers!

Happyguy
03-15-2022, 11:17 AM
Up to the top and I contacted No_1 again about the spam.

Happyguy
03-15-2022, 04:44 PM
Back to the top

Happyguy
03-15-2022, 07:24 PM
To the moon and beyond

Happyguy
03-15-2022, 10:06 PM
Back up again

Happyguy
03-15-2022, 11:23 PM
Here we go again.

Happyguy
03-15-2022, 11:53 PM
Back to the top

Happyguy
03-16-2022, 09:12 AM
Up to the top again

Happyguy
03-16-2022, 11:14 AM
Back to the top again

lightman
03-22-2022, 10:07 AM
I've been boxing up my reloading stuff in preparation for a move. Fun Fun.

Happyguy
03-22-2022, 03:00 PM
I did that a couple of years ago and it seemed like an endless job. I don't envy you.

lightman
04-12-2022, 03:08 PM
Still boxing up stuff for moving. We have closed a deal on a house!

lightman
04-16-2022, 09:59 AM
Not in the loading room but an old working buddy and I melted about 100 pounds of stick-on wheelweights and cast them into ingots. Then we stamped permanent letters on them and about 700 clip-on ingots that we made 2 weeks ago.

Happyguy
05-08-2022, 04:17 PM
I returned from the range, I went with one of my grandsons, sorted 32 S&W L, 38 Special, 357 Magnum 10 mm and 45 ACP into their respective containers until I am ready to clean them. Getting ready to start some 10 mm, handgun and AR 15. The weather is getting nicer so I hope to get out more.

1blue
05-15-2022, 09:40 AM
Cast 357 bullets from the lead I scored lately, sized and lubed them. Loaded 357, 9mm and 45acp. Going to inventory (update my spreadsheet) my powder and primers. I came across more lead on two listings on Craigslist at a decent price of $1.50 per pound. Ingots were made from WW. But... I didn't buy any. My lead box is overflowing... One seller is looking to sell 2,000 pounds....

Happyguy
05-15-2022, 04:12 PM
I loaded about 800 rounds of 380 and setting the up the machines to load some some 38 Special wadcutters and several different 10 mm loads, it is raining so a good day to be inside reloading.

lightman
05-21-2022, 07:27 AM
We have moved into a new house and I have been granted one of the bedrooms for a loading room. So all I have done lately is unpack boxes and try to get organized again. I ordered and received a new chair, another table, a few sets of shelves and a book case. I do a little every day. Yesterday I spent the entire day unboxing stuff. More of that today! Y'all have a good one!

lightman
06-19-2022, 10:14 AM
Well, all of my new furniture has arrived and I have got the new butcher block top installed on my old bench frame. I have got most of the die sets and tools on their shelves and 1 press mounted. I do a little, rest a little, do a little ..................!

Happyguy
06-19-2022, 01:18 PM
Good to know that you are getting to the end and we will be able to share your reloading experiences with you again.

Happyguy
06-30-2022, 08:59 AM
I have sent the last couple of days loading 9 mm. A fellow reloader in the area bought a Colt Trooper but didn't have any components so I gave him some brass and bullets to get started.

Danth
07-04-2022, 05:05 PM
Been too hot to visit the range, so I've been tumbling brass for the last two days. Didn't realize how much 9mm I picked up!

LEP
07-05-2022, 04:57 AM
Picked up another Siamese Mauser, so getting set up to convert more 45-70 to 8x52R.

lightman
07-07-2022, 07:15 AM
I have sent the last couple of days loading 9 mm. A fellow reloader in the area bought a Colt Trooper but didn't have any components so I gave him some brass and bullets to get started.

Good on you for helping a fellow reloader out!

I pretty much have my new room in order. I have deprimed some brass that I had overlooked, sorted through a wash tub of stuff that me and a buddy have picked up since January and just in general piddled.

Happyguy
07-07-2022, 08:09 AM
Glad to hear that your room is almost there. It feels good to have the reloading room up and going again. I may not do anything constructive in the reloading room each day but I am always in there doing something.

I finally fitted the magazine latch in my T 14 pistol and I will load up about 25 8mm Nambu cartridges and see if the issue is fixed, magazine falling out during firing. I could see where the latch was just barely engaging the magazine.

lightman
07-09-2022, 07:20 AM
I know what you mean. I visit the loading room nearly every day. I may not do much but I always do something.

1blue
07-17-2022, 10:35 AM
Stocking up some primers I found recently. SP/LP. I didn't buy too many,4K. I'm hoping prices will start to come down. I see ammo prices inching down as they aren't exactly flying off the shelves now. It's still a little lonely at the range. A few people will come and shoot a box and leave. Seems to be 70% 9mm. Did get some 45LC and 10mm. I'm polishing 45acp and reloading it for my next trip to the range.

Happyguy
07-17-2022, 10:49 AM
Are you finding the primers locally?

1blue
07-18-2022, 01:17 PM
Are you finding the primers locally?

Both local and online

Found some at Murdochs and Sportsman's Warehouse. Could only buy 300 per person. So I got 600 with my son in tow, he's 24. Went back that afternoon with the assumption that new staff would be working. I was right. Bought another 600. Did the same the next day. I know that Murdoch's does not update their website on primers, you have to go into the store and ask... ? But I like the store and I shop there frequently.

Also found small rifle primers at Powder Valley. Lastly, Natchez has LP, SP, SR, LR... $95 per 1K. They will let you buy upto 5k. I like that they use FedEx to ship. Powder Valley has been limiting purchases to 1k. I don't need anything else, so just too expensive.

I think all were CCI, which is fine with me. Like I said, I didn't buy to many. I'm still looking for prices to go down as supply increases...

Happyguy
07-18-2022, 05:24 PM
I have been going into Sportsman"s here in Puyallup but they limit to 200 a day. I am still having trouble buying at $95 to $100 but I may eventually have to. Stay safe.

1blue
07-19-2022, 10:30 AM
I have been going into Sportsman"s here in Puyallup but they limit to 200 a day. I am still having trouble buying at $95 to $100 but I may eventually have to. Stay safe.

I get the 200 per person limit at my Sportsman's here also. They had a large pile of shotgun Cheddite primers out on the shelf. Rifle and pistol were behind the gun counter. My son wasn't available so I only got the 200. I called back later and they were sold out. But primers are showing up. I went with 4k from Natchez because they will let you buy more than 1k at a time. I bought them just to add to my supply. Just to top off. I have some primers from back in the day that I paid $15/1k. So I'm going to sit tight now and use what I have. Hopefully prices come down.

This is a little off topic. But firearms are back in stock. Sales have slowed and I have noticed some prices coming down or going on sale or offering additional magazines, etc...

Regards.

PS Noticed Brownells has small pistol primers for $96/1k today 7/20...
https://www.brownells.com/reloading/primers/pistol-primers/small-pistol-primers-1-000-box-sku749013743-79081-105576.aspx?cm_mmc=affiliate-_-Itwine-_-IR-_-60594&utm_content=60594&aid=317207&utm_source=ir&utm_campaign=317207&utm_medium=affiliate&source=ir&clickid=0BYQvpXytxyIUzuxFTRRGWYMUkD18DymPzQJxA0

1blue
07-19-2022, 10:47 AM
I started reloading recently with the Lee undersized sizing die for 45acp. These sizing dies come in a number of calibers. My old AO 1911 range pistol has been having ejection issues. It has a new ejector and extractor. Made sure the extractor was properly adjusted for tension. It has a 14lb recoil spring. I load a tad lighter for range rounds. Now I'm getting brass ejection I would expect. Anyone else using these undersized sizing dies by Lee?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012827841?pid=572212

Happyguy
07-25-2022, 02:09 PM
I ordered in a 1,000 9 mm 115 FMJ and 1,000 mixed 40/10 155,165 and 180 FMJ from American reloading. The 9's are new and the 40's are pulls, they are running 40% off of some of the 40's and 30% off the other projectiles. They looked great so I ordered another 500 40 mix and 1,000 9 mm 124, new. Now I am sorting the different weights of the 40's and the shipping is free.
I did load up the 8 mm Nambu but I haven't been to the range, maybe tomorrow.

lightman
08-15-2022, 05:41 PM
Cleaning a couple of rifles after shooting at the Deer Camp range over the weekend.

LEP
08-23-2022, 02:42 PM
Guy at the range shot a box of 6.5 CM and left them. In this day and age, I thought that was odd.
I did grab the box and 16 empties.

Happyguy
08-23-2022, 04:18 PM
Returned from the range after shooting with my oldest grandson, good time for both of us.

I tried the T 14 and the magazine stays where it should now so that was great. A whole bunch of brass to clean.

1blue
08-28-2022, 08:12 PM
Ordered two bricks of small pistol magnum primers from Midsouth Shooters Supply. Finished casting, sizing and lubing some 45 LSWC. Going to spend this week reloading 45acp, 357mag, and 9mm. Came home from the range with some 10mm and 357mag brass from a visit last Friday.

1blue
09-07-2022, 12:17 PM
Just an observation. As I reload for 9mm today, I was thinking... For over 40 years that I've been reloading, I only just started reloading 9mm in the past few years. I got pushed into it by the pandemic run on ammo, when you couldn't buy any. Prior to that 9mm was inexpensive and I didn't see the need to reload 9mm. Just like with shotgun, I felt it wasn't worth it. (Finding shot, wads, etc. I added up the cost and it just wasn't worth it to me.) Well, I got taught a lesson. So during the pandemic, I found dies, bullet moulds, brass (that in the past I would not bother to pick up...) So here I am, now reloading 9mm. Glad that as I walk by shelves that are now restocked that I'm not paying that $$. Who would have thought? I am seeing prices coming down from stupid expensive. Hopefully that will trickle into the prices of primers?

1blue
09-07-2022, 12:27 PM
Ok following my previous post, Powder Valley is listing some Ginex SPP for $105 per 1k. Min purchase of 5. Seriously?!!? Hard pass. I've been passing on PV as late due to the limit of 1k per order per day. Now having to pass due to cost? I refuse to pay $105 for Ginex primers. Hopefully primers are coming back and soon prices will come down also...

Happyguy
09-07-2022, 05:25 PM
Capitol Cartridge has SPP for $425.00 per 5000 shipped.

1blue
09-07-2022, 08:34 PM
KRArmory has Ginex SPP box of 5000 for $419 and free shipping also. My hope is, in a year or so the prices for primers come down further...

Happyguy
09-07-2022, 09:59 PM
Let's hope so.

lightman
09-20-2022, 11:47 AM
I've spent the last 3 days depriming, tumbling and sorting brass. I tumble the brass cases in the wet tumbler and the nickel cases in my dry tumblers.

Happyguy
09-21-2022, 02:54 PM
My brother sent me about 1500 9 mm cases and about 500 223 cases so I am sizing, trimming and crimp removing the 223 cases. Luckily he wet cleans his cases also so I don't have to clean the 9 mm.

rodnocker1
09-22-2022, 10:33 AM
I'm not trying to "Brag" but I've got so much brass, it isn't even funny.
Before I "Retired", I used to go to the 2 Ranges I was a Member of at least once a week (1 was on my way to work, LOL!). Things have slowed down a lot though because I dropped my Membership at the one that had been on the way to my old Job (along with that Ammo Shortage Thingy). The 2nd one, I'm a "Life Member" of but have slowed WAY down on going to it (I'm not a "Young Man" of 60 anymore, LOL!). Before finding those Ranges, I'd either bought brass from the Members of several sites or traded for things. After joining the Ranges, I started seeing that very FEW People would pick up their brass and have actually found things left like ammo or Mags thrown in the trash (yes, I'd go through the trash because some People would gather their Brass and then either throw it in the trees or in the Trash, plus I haul the Trash off from the Range to help out).
It's gotten to where I don't even bother counting the .380 acp/ 9mm/.40 S&W/.45 ACP/ or .223/5.56 anymore. I just wash the sand and grass out of them and after sorting, throw them in either a MFRB or LFRB. When the Box is full, tape it up and throw in in my Conex box. I used to trade on this site (actually the OLD site) with Lou Burke and several others and also sold a LOT of those calibers mentioned before on other sites. Except for the Weatherby Calibers and .300 RUM or .50 AE/.44 Mag/etc I've decided to just shoot Winchester Brass and have more brass prepped and primed than I'll ever use (not to mention Factory Ammo that My Sons told me I should have sold off for a HUGE Profit during the last 2 years). I know a lot of people talk trash about the Winchester Brass but I like it. I still find a Fair amount of other Headstamps in pretty much all calibers and have been just packing them as best I can in FRB's. I really need to get rid of a bunch of brass but I've gotten tired of trying to box it up and keep up with what goes to whom. Used to be, I tumbled everything in crushed Walnut w/nufinish but after burning up 6 or 7 Vibratory Tumblers, I don't do that anymore (I need to build a Wet Tumbler). The Old Ladies at our Local Post Office pretty much HATE me with a passion for shipping LFRB's full of .223/5.56, LOL!

lightman
09-26-2022, 10:19 AM
Unpacking a few leftover things that I took to the local gun show over the weekend. And sorting brass to up-grade my trades.

lightman
10-19-2022, 02:40 PM
Cleaned a muzzle loader and 3 other rifles. And sorted a large tub of brass.

1blue
10-21-2022, 07:49 AM
Time to straighten up my workbench. As my work area gets smaller and smaller. Clutter grows. I'll put that away later... It's time. Time to cast replacements for what I shot over the summer also.

Happyguy
10-21-2022, 09:48 AM
I was also thinking that it is time to start casting. I am going to try coating this year.

lightman
10-25-2022, 09:19 AM
Today was housekeeping day! I dusted off the bench top and applied a coat of furniture polish, vacuumed the floor and put a few things back in their place.

Happyguy
10-25-2022, 01:16 PM
Uh, you forgot to polish the brass!

rodnocker1
11-07-2022, 08:29 AM
I went to the Range this Morning (I don't go to the Range anywhere nearly as often as I used to). The last couple of times, I've found some Hornady .300 PRC and also a fair amount of 6mm ARC brass (along with the other "Normal" stuff like 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 Grendal, .308 Win, .223. etc). I guess I just find it odd that people buy these Rifles to get "Long Range Precision" but then don't reload to get the best performance from them (BUT Thank Y'all Very much, I appreciate it, LOL!). Polishing Brass has gotten slower, my Hornady Tumbler "Bit the Dust" so now I'm down to 2. I REALLY need to get a Wet Tumbler Built!
I've got a Question, Does anyone have and use a Hornady 2L Ultrasonic Cleaner? And if so, what do you think about it? A Good Friend of Mine gave me one for my upcoming Birthday and it seems awfully small for what it costs. I'm thinking I'd be better of taking it back to Academy and using the credit on something else.

Happyguy
11-07-2022, 09:43 AM
Are you thinking of using it for firearms cleaning or brass cleaning? I see that some people use the ultrasonic cleaners for brass but they don't seem to be extremely happy with the end result.

If you are using it for firearms cleaning it should work OK but if it is small you are limited to the size of the firearm. I worked for a gunsmith for awhile and he used an automotive parts cleaner with odorless mineral spirits. I bought one of the bench models from Harbor Freight and used until we moved this last time. After the move I bought a stand alone one, I had to change the motor to one that is used for petroleum based products instead of the one that came with it which was for water based solvents. I plumbed in an automotive oil filter and I am very happy with it, of course I like to actually handle the firearms when cleaning instead of just letting them sit in a tank and clean.

rodnocker1
11-08-2022, 02:19 AM
Happy, I believe they thought I could use it for brass cleaning but as you say, it's really small. I'll keep using my same old citric acid/vinegar/water cleaning solution and then treated walnut shells in a tumbler for that.
I'd considered taking the Hornady back and getting a "Vevor" brand ultrasonic cleaner off of the internet. For the same price as the mostly plastic Hornady 2L, you can get a stainless steel Vevor 15L. But once I started looking at the Vevor reviews I've pretty much changed my mind about them.
I had intended on using an Ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning things like Bolt carrier groups, handguns, and suppressors.

lightman
11-08-2022, 03:55 PM
I've never had an ultrasonic cleaner but I always thought that one would work well for cleaning triggers or trigger assemblies.

Happyguy
11-08-2022, 04:13 PM
That's why I like the auto parts cleaner, I can direct the stream where I want it, works great. I like the fact that I can put a revolver in half cock and direct the stream down into the lock works. If I have a bolt that is dirty, I can soak in the tank for a bit and then use the pressure stream to push the dirt out. Anyway it works for me, probably not for everyone.

LEP
11-10-2022, 05:31 AM
I've also found the ultrasonic to be less than ideal for brass. Works great on the wife's jewelry, tho.

1blue
11-12-2022, 01:07 PM
Reloaded some 9mm recently with Aguila small pistol primers. My first experience with this brand. Really tight fitting! CBC primer pockets were really a challenge with these primers. I tried running some CBC brass through my Dillon swager. Made no difference. They all went bang at the range however... But going forward, if there isn't some compelling reason, like a deep $$ discount, I'll probably pass.

1blue
12-24-2022, 09:25 AM
Merry Christmas everyone! I've been casting and reloading 45acp and 9mm. But Christmas came early this year at another estate sale. I picked up 7700 LPP, a new 1911 DeSantis holster and a Wilson combat magazine both still in the original packages! I've had quiet a bit of success with estate sales. I always haggle. Pick up a number of things and then make an offer... Go early. Get on lists of estate sellers, some have websites. Check with them regularly. It's worth it.

SafetyJoe
12-28-2022, 04:50 PM
Anyone know of a wildcat caliber that's made from 30-30 Winchester brass that has the rim turned down?
The same guy also used to reload 357 Herrett and 30 Herrett, but this brass is not those. It's got the same length and shoulder as 30-30 Win except the base of the casing has the rim turned / milled off.
Any help would be appreciated because the guy who converted this brass passed away so I can't ask him what it is.

SafetyJoe
12-28-2022, 04:57 PM
I figured it out. The mystery caliber is 30 Remington which is essentially a rimless 30-30 Winchester.

Anyone know of a wildcat caliber that's made from 30-30 Winchester brass that has the rim turned down?
The same guy also used to reload 357 Herrett and 30 Herrett, but this brass is not those. It's got the same length and shoulder as 30-30 Win except the base of the casing has the rim turned / milled off.
Any help would be appreciated because the guy who converted this brass passed away so I can't ask him what it is.