PDA

View Full Version : Our Government Tax Dollars At Work Again

gandog56
02-03-2016, 07:09 AM
I went to send a box of cases in a swap today. Went to print out a label for the guy to send it to him in a USPS small flat rate box. Imagine my horror when the charge came up and it was over a dollar more than last week! Did you guys hear of any postal rate raises, because I never did. Not only that, there is more paperwork. Not only did I have to print out a mailing label, I had to print out a new scan form for the postal person to be able to scan when he/she picks it up. Just like our government, a rate icrease no warning amd more paperwork to have to do.

lilshaunsdad
02-03-2016, 08:31 AM
Yes they raised the rates middle of last month.

packnrat
02-03-2016, 10:07 AM
next time let the postal person behind the counter use there printer to print out the correct cost, shipping, barcode label.
just make sure you print out and label the ship to in large letters, (paste up on two sides), and the ship from in a much much smaller fonts. all block letters.

gandog56
02-04-2016, 07:08 AM
next time let the postal person behind the counter use there printer to print out the correct cost, shipping, barcode label.
just make sure you print out and label the ship to in large letters, (paste up on two sides), and the ship from in a much much smaller fonts. all block letters.

Don't they charge you more if you make THEM print the label? Besides, if I print them I can schedule a pickup and not have to waste my time and gas going to the post office.

packnrat
02-04-2016, 09:15 AM
no additional charge to print a label.

i can understand having to go out of your way, just to go to a post office. its not like there are very little of them or hard to find.
but then i can see mine from my front yard. end of the block only 200 feet away.

PSS: i have not checked my po box in three days.... or did i check it monday after work?

but if it works for you, go for it.

do to where i live it is very cost efficient to have a lot of things shipped to me. but i do like to fondle things. :o

WarEagleEd
02-04-2016, 09:12 PM
Not only did I have to print out a mailing label, I had to print out a new scan form for the postal person to be able to scan when he/she picks it up.

I forgot to print out that scan label the last time I took some boxes to the P.O. Maybe it didn't matter because I took the boxes to the post office and didn't schedule a pick up.

Ed

gandog56
02-05-2016, 05:39 AM
no additional charge to print a label.

i can understand having to go out of your way, just to go to a post office. its not like there are very little of them or hard to find.
but then i can see mine from my front yard. end of the block only 200 feet away.

PSS: i have not checked my po box in three days.... or did i check it monday after work?

but if it works for you, go for it.

do to where i live it is very cost efficient to have a lot of things shipped to me. but i do like to fondle things. :o

It used to be about 50 cents cheaper if I printed it at home, they change THAT too?

WarEagleEd
02-07-2016, 05:52 PM
It used to be about 50 cents cheaper if I printed it at home, they change THAT too?

I noticed that too, no discount for using their website.

gandog56
02-08-2016, 06:27 AM
If it wasn't such a pain in the butt to drag my azz to the Post Office, I would make them use THEIR ink. The ability to schedule a pickup at my house if I use the website is nice is still nice. But I am afraid sooner or later they will charge you for THAT!

Shooterontheline
02-09-2016, 05:48 PM
No advance warning of rate increases. One day low affordable price, next day not. I ship firearm pieces all over the country. Now i have to pay a third party a fee monthly to do the same thing I was doing before the rate increase. What a great scam. PO gets revenue from third party without the hassle and venders get jacked up costs from the third party suppliers. Now the PO is getting into banking. The PO hasn't turned a profit since who knows when, so now they are going to be your banker! Wanna trust them with your money? It's just another way to bilk the population for cash.

DukeInFlorida
02-17-2016, 09:05 AM
There IS a savings printing the labels at home.

And, if you do so, you can schedule a pickup, and not even have to be home to hand the package(s) to the postman.

And, even on those occasions when I find it more convenient to bring the packages to the post office myself, there is NO STANDING IN LINE. My P.O. offers a bin, right near the front door, for dropping in the pre-labled packages. In and out in 15 seconds.

So, when I make a deal with someone on line, I add in the new shipping cost, to make sure the deal is OK. Especially when outright selling items (over at castBoolits, check out my Mold Tappers! in the Selling and Swapping area), it's important to cover all the costs correctly.

Also, I have been using a LOT of the "Padded Flat Rate Envelopes" to ship items in. They are extra sturdy plastic bubble wrap type envelopes. Absolutely free to request on line. I order them by the case. Instead of shipping brass in a medium flat rate box, I can ship in a double bagged padded envelope for only $6.80. Can fit a LOT of brass in one of those. They are also long enough that I can also fit up to 4 of my mold tappers in one envelope. They won't fit at all in a medium flat rate box. Too long.

gandog56
02-17-2016, 05:14 PM
There IS a savings printing the labels at home.

You sure Duke? I looked up the price at the post office, it was the same as the price I got charged printing my own label. There was about a 50 cent difference before in the listed prices.

Shooterontheline
02-19-2016, 10:06 AM
I have a commercial account and it still costs me, $6.10 (SFR), $11.95 (MFR) and $14.35 and up for a (LFR).
A large padded envelope costs $6.10

SafetyJoe
02-22-2016, 11:30 PM
Flat rate padded envelopes are still the best deal at just $6.80 because you can fit 3 or 4 times more than a small flat rate box into one and it's only 70 cents more.
The only down side is that you can't get the padded flat rate envelopes at your local post office so you have to order them from the USPS website. They are free to order, but it takes about a week or two for them to be delivered. Here's a link https://store.usps.com/store/browse/uspsProductDetailMultiSkuDropDown.jsp?productId=P_ EP14PE&categoryId=mailing-envelopes

WarEagleEd
02-23-2016, 07:36 PM
I looked up the price at the post office, it was the same as the price I got charged printing my own label. There was about a 50 cent difference before in the listed prices.

This has been my experience since the recent rate increase, too.

Ed

gandog56
02-24-2016, 06:18 AM
I just want to know how they snuck in a rate increase without letting us know beforehand!

02-25-2016, 11:23 AM
I have a commercial account and it still costs me, $6.10 (SFR), $11.95 (MFR) and $14.35 and up for a (LFR).
A large padded envelope costs $6.10

I tried 3x to order online some of those envelopes to be delivered. USPS denies my address exists. I've been here 32 years. I get mail at this address every day in the good weather. Not so much if it's raining, snowing or it's really cold.

SafetyJoe
02-25-2016, 12:38 PM
I tried 3x to order online some of those envelopes to be delivered. USPS denies my address exists. I've been here 32 years. I get mail at this address every day in the good weather. Not so much if it's raining, snowing or it's really cold.

Well, then have them deliver it to a friends house instead.

02-26-2016, 08:12 AM
Why should I impose on a friend for something I use in my business? Typical response to my USPS needs & I spend a lot of $ with them on an annual basis. Routinely,they cannot supply me with first class stamps for a month after a rate change.

Someday I may run for president on the sole platform of USPS reorganization.

gandog56
02-26-2016, 04:07 PM
So what do we get for our money. I had two letters in my mailbox, the flag up. Went out to get my mail, and there they were under my mail, but the flag was down She never took them. Two of the pieces of mail were not for my address. I mean what, the PO hiring non english speaking/reading illegals or something? She is constantly leaving me class two narcotics I get prescribed without signing for them, though the packages are plainly marked signature required. Guess too much trouble to move her butt out of the truck and knock on my door.

SafetyJoe
01-24-2017, 04:07 AM
They just raised the rates again.
Small flat rate box is now $7.15
Padded flat rate envelope is now $7.20
Medium flat rate box is now $13.60
Large flat rate box is now $18.85
All those prices are slightly lower if you print the label yourself.

Mbaker78
01-24-2017, 02:20 PM
Though rate increases do suck. The flat rate system is actually not a bad deal and they usually are faster and cheaper than UPS.

gandog56
01-24-2017, 03:53 PM
Jeezo pete, seems like it was less than a year ago they raised them. I wanna sic Trump on them.

SafetyJoe
01-24-2017, 08:21 PM
The flat rate shipping works good for heavy items like brass, but I also like to use them for convenience in being able to figure out shipping costs for stuff I sell on ebay. When the rates go up that means to an extent I'll lose that increase when making a sale on ebay.