PDA

View Full Version : 44 mag marlin loosing jackets after firing

bdm
01-30-2015, 10:39 AM
Has anyone found that the jackets are coming off the bullets before the bullet hit the target? this problem was asked of me last week and the only conclusion was pistol bullets in a rife any one out there has any opinions?

GRUMPA
01-30-2015, 12:09 PM
Poor construction of the bullet itself. I've never had that happen, but I mainly use cast anyway. It might help if you were to clarify a couple of things.

Are those store bought?
Are they reloads?

Mbaker78
01-30-2015, 01:43 PM
I've heard that an excessively fast twist rate can spin the jackets off... Had it happen with 110gr RN (30 carbine) bullets in 308win. 1:10 twist... They didn't group, they patterned...

bdm
01-30-2015, 07:20 PM
like I said this was addressed to me as a problem from a friend of mine I have never had a problem. I can't answer your question but it seemed odd that it really happened thanks bruce

tsubaki
01-31-2015, 04:16 AM
The older ones have a very slow twist rate, 1:38". But the newer ones have a 1:20" twist.
Find out what year his is and more about the bullet he is using.

DukeInFlorida
01-31-2015, 05:07 AM
It's not likely to happen.

I've seen some gas checked cast bullets get down range, and the gas checks separate from the boolit when the boolit hits the berm. To the untrained eye, it could look like the cast bullet lost it's jacket.

Some of the really older "swaged" bullets, like from the 50's, were formed at home by using a copper cup, and inserting a chunk of lead, and making a so-so "half jacket" bullet. These had copper jackets about 1/2 way from the back of the bullet to the front. If you were sloppy making these, and got grease, oil, or other foreign matter between the cup and the core, there was a chance that the friction between the copper cup and the rifling was greater than the friction between the copper cup and the lead insert. However, most of those old Swage-O-Matic presses are long gone, and any half jacket bullets either fired or thrown away.

Any modern bullet would be made in a way that it's impossible to have a separation of the core from the jacket.