PDA

View Full Version : !@#@$%$#@ Speer!

gandog56
01-17-2015, 04:26 PM
I'm getting tired of busting decapping pins trying to deprime Speer 357 SIG cases. With 1000 cases, so far I've bent or broke off 5 decapping pins. I still have 282 to go, but have to wait till my new order of pins come in. ONLY Speer 357 SIG cases are doing this to me, no other caliber of Speer brass.

62chevy
01-17-2015, 04:37 PM
Is it the crimp or did they glue them in?

gandog56
01-17-2015, 07:36 PM
All I can figure out is the flash holes were drilled very small, and some weren't exactly centered. It's from different lots, brass and nickel plated. I've run into this before, and once again, it's just their 357 SIG.

Mbaker78
01-17-2015, 07:50 PM
Are you using a Lee universal depriming die? I have yet to break or bend that thing... And I've accidentally tried to deprime berdan primers with it.

Happyguy
01-18-2015, 01:13 AM
Flash holes are smaller and as baker stated the Lee decapping die is the only one that I have found that won't break the pin. David

DukeInFlorida
01-18-2015, 08:33 AM
I also ran into MANY batches of this brass.

Talking to the folks at Speer, they said that they bought the brass from Lapua, which is known for small flash holes. The solution would be to use smaller pins.

I contacted both Lee and RCBS. Lee was no help, but RCBS graciously sent me some .047" pins, which both fit in their knock out pin collets, and also did the job. So, now I have modified my process of assembling 357 Sig ammo:

1) I resize and deprime using a .40 S&W CARBIDE full length resizing die, from RCBS, with the smaller pin in place. That way, I don't have to lube the necked rifle brass style cases. I'm only sizing the major diameter at this point. But, I'm able to deprime without issues. I do this operation off the press.
2) Once having the deprimed brass prepared, and knowing that the major OD is sized, and with a minimum of friction left to deal with, I run the prepared brass in my Dillon 550b, with a 357 Sig full length sizing die in station one, with the knock out pin removed (cut off). It's still important to leave the collet pin in place, since the ID of the neck is controlled by the OD of the collet pin. In this way, the neck gets properly sized, and the shoulder gets pushed back.
3) In station two, where the powder drop is, as well as the bell mouthing, I have the powder drop tube adjusted so that the bell mouthing is an absolute minimum.
4) In station 3, I do only a push on the bullet, to the proper seating depth.
5) Finally, in station 4, I do a Lee Factory Crimp Die crimp. I have this set pretty tight, as the short length of the neck doesn't allow for a lot of neck friction, and bullet set-back is a BIG problem for this chambering. The deeper than normal crimp assures that the bullets stay tight where they are supposed to be.

Now that I have this system set up, my normal batch size is about 2500 rounds. With not ever any issues! (I never even notice that the flash holes might be a bit small)

Get yourself some RCBS small pins. They'll graciously send you some.

gandog56
01-18-2015, 09:42 AM
Flash holes are smaller and as baker stated the Lee decapping die is the only one that I have found that won't break the pin. David

Well, except for the fact I've broken three of them so far!

gandog56
01-18-2015, 09:43 AM
I also ran into MANY batches of this brass.

Talking to the folks at Speer, they said that they bought the brass from Lapua, which is known for small flash holes. The solution would be to use smaller pins.

I contacted both Lee and RCBS. Lee was no help, but RCBS graciously sent me some .047" pins, which both fit in their knock out pin collets, and also did the job. So, now I have modified my process of assembling 357 Sig ammo:

1) I resize and deprime using a .40 S&W CARBIDE full length resizing die, from RCBS, with the smaller pin in place. That way, I don't have to lube the necked rifle brass style cases. I'm only sizing the major diameter at this point. But, I'm able to deprime without issues. I do this operation off the press.
2) Once having the deprimed brass prepared, and knowing that the major OD is sized, and with a minimum of friction left to deal with, I run the prepared brass in my Dillon 550b, with a 357 Sig full length sizing die in station one, with the knock out pin removed (cut off). It's still important to leave the collet pin in place, since the ID of the neck is controlled by the OD of the collet pin. In this way, the neck gets properly sized, and the shoulder gets pushed back.
3) In station two, where the powder drop is, as well as the bell mouthing, I have the powder drop tube adjusted so that the bell mouthing is an absolute minimum.
4) In station 3, I do only a push on the bullet, to the proper seating depth.
5) Finally, in station 4, I do a Lee Factory Crimp Die crimp. I have this set pretty tight, as the short length of the neck doesn't allow for a lot of neck friction, and bullet set-back is a BIG problem for this chambering. The deeper than normal crimp assures that the bullets stay tight where they are supposed to be.

Now that I have this system set up, my normal batch size is about 2500 rounds. With not ever any issues! (I never even notice that the flash holes might be a bit small)

Get yourself some RCBS small pins. They'll graciously send you some.

Well, the only problem there is my .40 cal and 357 SIG dies are Lee.

DukeInFlorida
01-18-2015, 05:59 PM
Get a RCBS .40 S&W carbide sizing die..... Use their small pins in it. Stop being so damned cheap!

ZmanWakeForest
01-18-2015, 08:03 PM
Get a RCBS .40 S&W carbide sizing die..... Use their small pins in it. Stop being so damned cheap!

LOL! That is awesome!

gandog56
01-19-2015, 04:26 AM

If I wasn't cheap, I probably wouldn't be here! :rolleyes:

62chevy
01-19-2015, 06:33 AM

Amen to that gandog56

jebsca
01-19-2015, 04:27 PM
Me too! Me too! Being cheap is costing me more every day.

gandog56
01-20-2015, 06:25 AM
Finished up the batch by punching the primers out with a Philips jewelers screwdriver and a brass hammer. Used the shellholder as a mini base to hold the case while I punched. Some of them I had to pull the screwdriver out with a pair of pliers, some just pulled the screwdriver right out. There is just no consistency in these hole widths!

If it is really Lapua that made these I am very disappointed in them.

gandog56
01-23-2015, 01:17 PM
A little further research shows that Lapua thought slightly smaller flash holes might have made a gas jet more concentrated when the primer is set off and cause better ignition. Now since I've never had 357 SIG cases not go bang, it seems like they were searching a bit for a problem that really wasn't there in the first place.

Just got my order in for extra decapping pins from Lee. Just sorry I needed them in the forst place.

Mbaker78
01-23-2015, 02:50 PM
Who do you order Lee parts from? Just curious if you have any better options than Titan reloading (they're a bit cheaper than direct from Lee)

gandog56
01-23-2015, 03:43 PM
Directly from Lee. Their shipping charges aren't too bad, and it usually gets to me pretty fast.

Mbaker78
01-23-2015, 05:38 PM
I ordered some stuff from Titan a while back and saved a few bucks over if I'd ordered direct from Lee, received it pretty quickly too.

Point-Man
01-24-2015, 06:42 AM
Check the prices at FS Reloading. Just ordered some crimp dies and they were cheaper than Titan`s. Although the shell holders were cheaper at Titan.

gandog56
01-24-2015, 07:27 AM
I just like getting them straight from Lee, and not having to pay a middleman.

62chevy
01-24-2015, 11:25 AM
I use Titan too but FSreloading is very competitive

Mbaker78
01-24-2015, 12:55 PM
Haven't tried them yet... Might next time I order small parts

Point-Man
01-24-2015, 03:54 PM
This is what I found when I was looking for a Lee factory crimp die (90848) 8x57

Lee precision,inc--15.98

Titan reloading--11.98

FS reloading--10.19

rodnocker1
01-31-2015, 08:10 PM
I've got some 5.56 brass stamped "IK 13" and it also has a small flash hole. When trying to find out more, I read that Lee has a smaller diameter depriming pin you can get. Not sure if it now comes in the Universal De capper but I've had mine for a long time and it won't fit the smaller flash holes.

I've broken the decapping pin on the Universal and Lee has replaced them.