PDA

View Full Version : .308brass?

20guage1
06-28-2021, 07:52 AM
I purchased 100pcs of Lake city marked brass at a gun show over the weekend. While trying to deprime it, I managed to stick a case in my decapping die. After considerable effort I was able to remove it, however it will not chamber into a .308 chambered rifle, nor will any of the 1x fired brass. Subsequent efforts to resize the remaining brass even with considerable lube applied have required a considerable effort to insert or extract the case in or out of the sizing die. Yes i am using the correct die. I have checked all my equipment and techniques at least 10x after the first issue, I have used the caliper to measure the cases, and the cases are slightly oversized. I need help!!!

Happyguy
06-28-2021, 10:42 PM
Is it brass fired from a machine gun? Sometimes it is hard to resize. Also do you have a case gauge to check after sizing?

SafetyJoe
06-30-2021, 06:57 AM
I've had similar problems with LC brass that was fired in a machine gun. I started using the RCBS " small base " sizing die set along with spray lubing the brass inside a ziplock bag using a homemade lube and the problem went away. Here's the recipe for the lube. Having a 308 case gauge is also a good idea like Happyguy said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olahEwJMUi8

DaveL
07-12-2021, 07:28 AM
I also have had bad luck with machine gun fired 7.62 LC brass. A small base die solved the problem for me.
HTH