Thread: My Best Day Getting Free Range Brass.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    The indoor ranges around me are all pretty hostile about picking up brass... Half the time I get an evil eye just gathering my own brass... The outdoor ranges are very laid back about it though.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbaker78 View Post
    The indoor ranges around me are all pretty hostile about picking up brass... Half the time I get an evil eye just gathering my own brass... The outdoor ranges are very laid back about it though.
    This was an outdoor range, and I was the only one there at the time. The nearest range officer was probably 1/4 mile away.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gandog56 View Post
    This was an outdoor range, and I was the only one there at the time. The nearest range officer was probably 1/4 mile away.
    At the outdoor range I go to I once had the range officer (when he was actually there) tell me I could pick up any brass that was left on the ground. I've had a few decent days of it, but nothing like yours

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I belong to two different outdoor ranges and they are both fine with you picking up whatever brass has been left on the ground or in the brass barrel (although most people seldom police their brass and put it into the barrel).

It used to be that hardly anyone picked up the brass and it was fairly easy to pick up 250-500 pcs of rifle/pistol brass whenever I went but lately (the past year or so), others have started picking the brass up. Add to that the "ammo shortage" and now it's usual to find very little (5-50 pcs) which doesn't even cover the gas money to go to the range. Thanks to my OCD, I still go (I also hate to see good brass left on the ground to get lost or destroyed by being ran over by a mower).

That being said, my best day to date was last December 5 (12/05/12). One of the ranges had a 3 day LE Training Class. No one else picked up the brass that was left and I didn't know about the class till the last day. I went by at the end of the last day of the class and when it was all said and done, I had picked up over 7,000 pcs of .223 Rem, 2.000 pcs of .45 ACP, and 3,000 pcs of .40 S&W.

I couldn't believe that there was that much brass there and I doubt I will ever see another day like that again but you can never tell.....

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    You know you suck for that. I would say I had a good haul with 1% of that.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbaker78 View Post
    At the outdoor range I go to I once had the range officer (when he was actually there) tell me I could pick up any brass that was left on the ground. I've had a few decent days of it, but nothing like yours
    I've only had ONE day like that. .38 special, .40 cal, 9mm, and .45 is like 90% of what I pick up.