Thread: A new "what are you doing in the loading room today" thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyJoe View Post
    Besides Bullseye powder what other powders do you want to try?

With the RCBS bullet 11.5 grains is the beginning of the yellow zone for pressure at 21,273psi. 12.4 grains is the beginning of the purple pressure zone. 13.6 grains is the max charge at 27,903 psi.

Here's what the 12.4 grains looks like
    45-70 Govt - Bullseye - 425.jpg

With the Lee bullet 13.6 grains is the beginning of the yellow zone for pressure at 21,129psi. 14.7 grains puts you at the beginning of the purple pressure zone. 16.1 grains is the max charge at 27,812psi.

Here's what the 14.7 grains looks like.
    45-70 Govt - Bullseye - 347.jpg

Not sure why the 14.6 grain chart is still showing up below in this post after I deleted it so just ignore that one.
    Much appreciated Safety Joe. Excuse my ignorance but can you please explain "Yellow Zone" and "Purple Zone" I'm thinking start and mid range loads? Bullseye is working real well. I have lots of pistol powders but the only other one I have been curious about is BE-86, which really doesn't have much data outside of Alliant's published data. Even that doesn't have much variance. I like it for 45 Colt but my go to 45 colt powder is 2400. I have a couple of pounds BE-86 in the cupboard and haven't touched it in awhile.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by seeker View Post
    Much appreciated Safety Joe. Excuse my ignorance but can you please explain "Yellow Zone" and "Purple Zone" I'm thinking start and mid range loads? Bullseye is working real well. I have lots of pistol powders but the only other one I have been curious about is BE-86, which really doesn't have much data outside of Alliant's published data. Even that doesn't have much variance. I like it for 45 Colt but my go to 45 colt powder is 2400. I have a couple of pounds BE-86 in the cupboard and haven't touched it in awhile.
    Yeah, starting loads are in the beginning of the yellow zone, purple is mid range and red is the no go above max pressure zone. BE-86 isn't one of the powders listed in quickload. There's a few other powders they don't list like 700x and 800x because the variations from one lot of powder to the next is too much for them to consider it consistent so they don't list those powders. Maybe that's the case with BE-86 or maybe it's not listed because my version of quickload is an older version that came out before BE-86 was introduced.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyJoe View Post
    Yeah, starting loads are in the beginning of the yellow zone, purple is mid range and red is the no go above max pressure zone. BE-86 isn't one of the powders listed in quickload. There's a few other powders they don't list like 700x and 800x because the variations from one lot of powder to the next is too much for them to consider it consistent so they don't list those powders. Maybe that's the case with BE-86 or maybe it's not listed because my version of quickload is an older version that came out before BE-86 was introduced.
    That's probably it. I'm really happy with these Bullseye loads. Not only because they are so accurate but I have 3 pounds of the stuff and I can get a lot more bang for my buck than I can with rifle powder at what it costs these days. Best to you. G.