Thread: A new "what are you doing in the loading room today" thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    Are you thinking of using it for firearms cleaning or brass cleaning? I see that some people use the ultrasonic cleaners for brass but they don't seem to be extremely happy with the end result.

If you are using it for firearms cleaning it should work OK but if it is small you are limited to the size of the firearm. I worked for a gunsmith for awhile and he used an automotive parts cleaner with odorless mineral spirits. I bought one of the bench models from Harbor Freight and used until we moved this last time. After the move I bought a stand alone one, I had to change the motor to one that is used for petroleum based products instead of the one that came with it which was for water based solvents. I plumbed in an automotive oil filter and I am very happy with it, of course I like to actually handle the firearms when cleaning instead of just letting them sit in a tank and clean.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Happy, I believe they thought I could use it for brass cleaning but as you say, it's really small. I'll keep using my same old citric acid/vinegar/water cleaning solution and then treated walnut shells in a tumbler for that.
    I'd considered taking the Hornady back and getting a "Vevor" brand ultrasonic cleaner off of the internet. For the same price as the mostly plastic Hornady 2L, you can get a stainless steel Vevor 15L. But once I started looking at the Vevor reviews I've pretty much changed my mind about them.
    I had intended on using an Ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning things like Bolt carrier groups, handguns, and suppressors.