I removed the primers from about 50 pieces of 7.62 X 39 brass. What was odd is that 6 of them had unfired primers in them. When I removed them the primer pockets were dirty, so the cases had been fired at least once before and a new primer seated into them. I’ve never reloaded a single round of 7.62 X 39 so I don’t think that I seated the primers in those cases (one, I don’t remember doing it; two, my primer pockets would have been cleaner than that). The cases are Fiocchi and I have used some Fiocchi ammo in this caliber. Unfortunately, my label that’s in the bag with the brass isn’t too helpful. All it says is “Fiocchi” and the number of pieces. So, I initially thought this was brass that I had fired, but I now think it’s brass that I received in a trade. What do y’all do with live primers like this, render them inert?

Also, I was removing the primers with the Harvey depriming tool. I enjoy this tool as I can decap/deprime pretty much anywhere. I was processing the brass mentioned above while in the yard watching the kiddo play. One issue I do have with it is that the case’s flash hole can not be obstructed or the case won’t slide far enough down the depriming pin to fit into the body of the tool. Unless the obstruction is cleared, that case can not be deprimed by the Harvey tool. Usually I whack the case mouth against a suitable surface to dislodge the debris. But these 7.62 X 39 cases has some other issue, as a whack didn’t clear the flash hole. Nevertheless, I was able to deprime all but one of the cases. I had to use my newly cleaned Lee decapping die in the press to remove that primer.