Thread: A new "what are you doing in the loading room today" thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    In the course of shooting the Lawnsteel game, I average 60-90 shots a day (four games, each one 15-20 o so shots, depending n the target setup). Each game is 50 minutes or until the animal targets are all down, six shooters on th shooting line. Each shooter gets one shot at a time. So, at the end of the day, I get home and remove the empties from the 100 pc plastic ammo boxes. I had built quite an inventory of cartridges, several hundred for each gun I bring to the session.
    • 38 Specials for my Contender
    • 38 Specials for my S&W Model 27
    • 44 magnums for my contender
    • 44 magnums for my S&W 629
    • 45 Long Colts for my Contender

I'm down to the last <200 of each, and it's time to start cleaning brass, and preparing for assembling enough for the next six months. While walnut shell media is fine for 99% of my reloading, I use SS pin tumbling for all my Lawnsteel brass. I tumble in water with some Dawn and citrus acid, followed by a careful rinse, and then drying in a food dehydrator. Finally, tumble in walnut shell media with NuFinish to give the shiny brass a great polymer coating that resists the humidity here in Florida.

The assembled cartridges stay shiny until used. Have been using Winchester brass exclusively, so that the pressure vessel reactions are the same every shot. Shooting at small steel targets with open sights at 165 feet+ requires the fussiest reloading that you can do.

There's a link for the rules of Lawnsteel in my sig line. If anyone is ever in the Daytona Beach area, we shoot every Tuesday morning. I'd be happy to lend you my seat on the line, a gun tuned for the game, and ammo tuned for the gun. Bring a roll of nickels, we play for nickels. If you think you are a good shot, try this!

Time to start cleaning/polishing brass.....

Administrator - Ammo Brass Trader
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Sounds like you had a great time Duke. I went to the range today to dial in the hunting scope on a 308...only shot 10 rounds. Then I did some load development rounds for the 300PRC...shot 10 rounds. Then I went home...so not much brass to prep.

Now...you made me think a little bit there with something you said. I too SS tumble my brass...after depriming....and put in two drops of Dawn and one of those old Lee powder dippers full of citric acid...and they get super shiny and then food dehydrate them dry....but after a while they will start to turn.....but you made me think that after I SS wet tumble...maybe run them through some walnut with NuFinish...and that pretty shine will last a lot longer.

I worked up a load on the 300PRC using VihtaVuori N565...I've never used VihtaVuori before....but my loads with it almost exactly matched my same loads with Retumbo...so I'm super happy.