Thread: So, What You Doing On The Bench Today?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Just got finished hooking up with the guy who bought all the stuff to reload for his .300 AAC Blackout. Suddenly wife informs he she was pregnant, so he decided the timing was wrong, and he decided to sell it all off. For $325, I got a new RCBS Turret press, an RCBS Uniflow powder measure, 2 plastic jugs of various shot brass he had picked up, and an unopened 8 pound jug of Ramshot True Blue Powder. I will have to move things around on my bench to mount this second press. The ONLY presses I have ever used before were Lee. Going to be interesting to see the differences. Right now I am headed out to my reloading shed to sort through the empties, decap them, and start cleaning them. Spent 3 hors sorting and started to deprime brass. Put a load of .308 WIN and .300 AAC Blackout cases in the wet rotary. Decapped stuff till all I had left was a BIG jug of 5.56. Started to try to decap some 5.7X28, but I don
    t have a shellholder small enough to retain them in the press. Tried to start punching them out by hand because I have some spare pins from my Universal decapping die. That got old real fast. Since I don't reload them anyways, I'm just going to clean them in corncob instead of the wet rotary.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gandog56 View Post
    tarted to try to decap some 5.7X28, but I don't have a shellholder small enough to retain them in the press. Tried to start punching them out by hand because I have some spare pins from my Universal decapping die. That got old real fast. Since I don't reload them anyways, I'm just going to clean them in corncob instead of the wet rotary.
    I have decapped 5.7 X 28 before and used the same shell holder used for .25 ACP, if you happen to have one of those. Of course, if you did have one you probably would have tried it already.

I haven't done anything reloading related latetly, nor will I anytime soon, as Uncle Sam has sent me on an all expense paid "vacation" to the desert. Hopefully, my comment above will count as "doing something reloaoding related."

Ed

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    (sad face here)

Please don't decap the 5.7's. I use them, with the spent primers still in, as donor jackets for 30 caliber bullets. Willing to trade for them. Also, please don't bother cleaning/tumbling the 5.7's. They have, if you don't know, a special plastic coating on them which gets damaged when you tumble them.

My process for making the bullet jackets includes annealing them to burn off the plastic coating, SS pin tumbling to get them clean, and running them through a few steps. I'm making 150 grain and 168 grain 30 cal bullets. So, please don't ruin the 5.7's by decapping or cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by WarEagleEd View Post
    I have decapped 5.7 X 28 before and used the same shell holder used for .25 ACP, if you happen to have one of those. Of course, if you did have one you probably would have tried it already.

I haven't done anything reloading related latetly, nor will I anytime soon, as Uncle Sam has sent me on an all expense paid "vacation" to the desert. Hopefully, my comment above will count as "doing something reloaoding related."

Ed

Administrator - Ammo Brass Trader
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeInFlorida View Post
    So, please don't ruin the 5.7's by decapping or cleaning.
    I have traded them to people who had no complaints regarding missing primers.

Ed