Thread: Here we go again...

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Here we go again...

With this healthcare crisis, it appears that not only is TP in short supply. Ammo and reloading components are now in short supply once again. With the restrictions and closures, I don't see manufacturers bouncing back and therefore the supply chain recovering anytime soon... Sucks. I hope that I'm wrong. But this isn't the first, or second, or third time, that I have seen this. I did locate a great supply of lead and bought a bunch before the "shelter in place" order hit. Midway had a steep discount not long ago on Match grade Winchester LP primers. Something told me to buy 5k of those. I don't normally buy retail ammo, but something last November said buy some. So I did. So I'm good. Hope you all can weather this situation.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Yeah, I learned my lesson after the Sandy Hook shortages. A couple years ago I started buying a couple bulk packs of 22lr every time I went to the store because they were $19.99 Now a few years later I have 30,000 rds of 22lr. I reload a dozen different calibers so I took advantage of the yearly 20% rebate on CCI primers and I still have several bricks of the S&B primers I used to buy at cabelas for $20. I also stocked up on powder last year and managed to get a couple thousand pounds of wheel weights at 18 cents per pound. When it comes to brass I've managed to accumulate a few 55 gal drums full of the different calibers I reload so I think I'm pretty much set for life.

As far as other preparedness items go I think I'm pretty good. I've been a preparedness / safety minded person ever since 9/11 and especially after hurricane Katrina. I've slowly accumulated long term / long shelf life supplies over the years and even learned as much as I could about all the different skills when it comes to disaster preparedness and self reliance. Aside from making my own ammo I've learned about auto repair, gardening, first aid, homesteading and even wilderness living skills that includes primitive technology, identification and uses of wild plants, hunting, trapping, cooking and preserving wild food.

The main problem we're all going to see in the next few years is the huge inflation from all these trillions of newly created dollars being circulated through the economy. Creating trillions of new money out of thin air and circulating it through the economy doesn't actually help the economy anymore than it would help a drug addict by giving them more drugs. It's going to make them feel better for a little while, but it's actually killing them. A lot of inflation is what we are going to experience. The problem wasn't the pin that popped the bubble economy we had. It was eventually going to pop anyway even without the virus. The problem was the bubble economy itself. When the virus is gone that deflated bubble will still exist and it can't be reinflated just like you can't un-scramble an egg.

Even if what's happening doesn't end up completely destroying the dollar and the American way of life we've all come to enjoy it should be a serious lesson for everyone that society is very fragile. It doesn't take much to mess everything up and if it's a widespread crisis the government isn't going to be able to help you in the capacity you might think they can.

Last edited by SafetyJoe; 04-06-2020 at 01:21 PM.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have enough reloads and supplies to stock a small army. Any more and I would need a fire placard on my house. As far as ready goes I can't avoid someone coughing on me at the wrong moment so washing is more vital then ammo right now. This virus is gender sensitive as more men are dying then women. Anyway good luck guys as this too shall pass.
    Last edited by Leftyfixit; 04-04-2020 at 06:52 AM. Reason: mispelling

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have always told my Reloading Class students to plan ahead. Way ahead. Do not wait until you need something badly, and then expect to find it anywhere.
    I have TiteGroup by the case lot. Primers in all the sizes in case lot. Lots of the other powders I use all the time, also in abundant supply. I have tons of plated and FMJ bullets, but mostly use those only for my classes. I have molds to cast everything that I shoot, including all rifle chamberings. And, I have over 1,000 pounds of each of the primary lead alloys I cast in.
    So, planning ahead has saved my butt more than once. This won't be the last time.
    For those of you close enough to take advantage of it, one of my close retail friends, Acme Reloading Supply of St Augustine, FL just successfully placed a large order for powders, and will have them in about a week from now. They don't ship, servicing local pick up customers only. So, if you are close enough, get in and place your orders now. His inventory will pre-sell out quickly.

Administrator - Ammo Brass Trader
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Recently I found primers at a new Sportsmans Warehouse. They limit your purchase to 1000. But I went out to the car put my primers in the trunk. Remembered I had a different face mask in the car, took off my jacket, put on a ball cap, replaced my glasses with shades and went back in and bought another 1000. When I got home I checked their website and for the next few days ordered 1000 each day to be delivered to the store. No shipping, no hazmat. Got a total of 7k this way (@$22.99/1k Winchester). Last week I went in again. The shelves are bare, but as I walked down the aisle for reloading, lo and behold here are 4 1k boxes of Federal LPP! I walk down to the powders and bingo, 1Lb of 231 and 1Lb of HP-38. I grabbed them both. Took two boxes of LPP and headed to the checkout. I also had a buy $100 get $20 off coupon. What a great day! SW has been good to me! Didn't end there. Murdoch's is close, went by there. So I go in and find three 1Lb HP-38. Bought all three. I don't think the dry spell in components is over. But I sure do feel lucky!!

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    My local Sportsman's Warehouse has been great. They have kept their prices low....real low on primers. They haven't had any pistol or small rifle lately...but I shoot large rifle and large rifle magnum almost exclusively this year. Everytime I go in...I grab a box of 1k.....FGMM 215's at $29.99/thou is just insane in this environment.

I also went to buy some Hornady 230gr A-Tips....and while there noticed they had some 6.5 140gr ELD-M's...so I call a friend...he told me to buy all they had...I said I couldn't afford to buy 100 boxes...he laughed...I got him 10 boxes at $36.99/100.....nobody anywhere else had them in stock...he was stoked.

They haven't had much powder lately...but I grabbed a bottle of accurate 2230 the other week just incase.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Range brass... Last week I went to the range and I was the only shooter on the member's side. (10am-12) Brass buckets had next to nothing in them. I think, once again, that until ammo returns at the retail level, the average shooter is not going to the range. Instead sitting on their ammo. On the way home I dropped into my local Murdoch's and on the way in I noticed a guy carrying out some ammo. I asked, if that was 9mm and his answer was yes... Went to the shelf and to my surprise there was 9mm at $10.99/50 box. You were limited to two. Rushed out to my car dropped off my ammo... Did my change of clothes, including my face mask. (Never thought wearing a mask could come in so handy!) Bought two more. I don't think ammo is coming back... But super pleased to find some. Normally as a reloader, I don't buy ammo. But I'm glad to see some showing up.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I was helping an FFL buddy of mine and saw some 9mm that was in trays without a box, just wrapped in plastic. So I asked him what he wanted for them, we came up to $40 for 150 rounds after some back and forth (mainly just me trying to get a number out of him).

I don’t plan on shooting much 9mm, but another good friend of mine does, so I’ll have him reimburse me for them next time we go shooting.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Private sales of primers are listed at $50.00 to $60.00 for 1k. I saw one listing of $100.00 for 1k of SPP. Just insane.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I got lucky. I had a large stash on hand, but then spent over 5 years overseas. Have enough that I've actually been able to sell/trade my excess. Haven't had to buy any components or powder in the last 5 years.
    Load and shoot: 6.5mm (Dutch, Jap., Carcano, Swede), 7x57, 7.35 Carcano, 7.5mm (Mas, Swiss), 303 British, 7.65x53, 7.7 Jap, 7.62x51, 30-06, 8x50R & 8x52R Siamese, 30-40 Krag, 8x57, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, 8x 56R, 30 Carbine, 450/577 Martini, 300 Win Mag, 45 LC.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    When everything started, I had just over 3k each small pistol and rifle, with over 1k 40s&w cases already primed. I actually almost ran out of small rifle and had to trade a box of small pistol for them.

I think when things come back (they always do, just takes time) I’m going to keep 5k each minimum for the next scare.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I kept buying primers and powder during the good times so I am good for several years to come.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I did what I could, but my budget is kind of limited, so I had to set back money for components.

Now that one kid is out of the house, and the other has a decent job with military in the future, I finally have some extra money, so I can afford to pick up a box of primers here and there as I see them.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Over the years I've done the same, buying during good times. I'm always on the prowl for primers and to a lesser degree powder anyway. I have enough to last me for a long time... I found some lead recently, but I wonder about future supplies?

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The problem we have here in Central NYS is that there are not many shops that stock reloading components even in good times. I am pretty well stocked since here in NYS we have been living under one party control for over a decade now.