Thread: reloading today

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

reloading today

Well here I sit at my reloading bench. I have enough loaded ammo to start a small war but I also have empty brass bullets and primers for who knows how many rounds just itching to be loaded. It's cold outside and I am not going to the shooting range in a blizzard. So what to reload next. Any more reloading and I might have to put up a fire plackard for the fire department. I hate to see gun powder get old while still in the can, or container. Any body else been there?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I have some powder from the 1980s that still works fine so I don't worry too much about powder going bad. I also don't worry too much about safe storage for powder and primers because I built a wood chest for both. That's what's suggested to be done because wood will help insulate them in a fire better than metal will. I think 3/4" plywood is what's recommended, but I used even more than that. I built the chest with 2x8" lumber for the sides, 3/4" plywood for the top and bottom and added 1/4" panels to the sides on top of the 2x8" lumber just so everything matches.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Yeah, I've been there. Cabin Fever usually sets in after Christmas and I get antsy. I try to save up things to do. Sorting, depriming and tumbling brass. If the weather permits I'll smelt the previous years collection of lead. I put change (coins) in a big jug all year long and I usually count them out and cash them in. Stuff like that.

My loading room is in my house and is in a controlled environment so I don't worry too much about powder and primers going bad. I feel very fortunate to have a room inside, although it could be bigger!

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have one piece of brass....in a caliber I don't shoot....and everything else is loaded. I'll be at the range tomorrow...it is supposed to be 57F with 10mph winds....that's like a heat wave. I'm testing another load with some 230gr A-Tips on my 300PRC and some Vihtavuori N565...pushing them just a tad over 3000fp/s. I have 7 days off next week...I'll be shooting long range at the end of the week out to maybe 2500 yards. Time to ring some steel!

Then I'll come back and load each piece of brass with Love...heh

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    B2lee, I was just in your neck of the woods a bit over a week ago. If I’d had more time I would’ve looked you up, but I was just there to meet up to get a couple foster puppies and turn around and head back home.

One of these days, after I learn how to shoot, I might have to look you up to try out some longer range stuff.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Mbaker78....glad you didn't swing by this week...I was out of town doing some shooting down in South Georgia. Back now...always hate that drive. The 300PRC rang steel at 2500 yards finally. I know everyone hates the new 'hotness'....but that is one bad ass new round.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I have yet to get past 300 yards, unfortunately. Just no real place around me that has that kind of space.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Generally I drive all the way to Thunder Valley Precision in Kimbolton, OH...which is like 3+ hours....or drive down to RockCastle shooting center down at Mammoth Cave, KY....or go back home to Georgia and shoot private farms. Around here in N.KY I can usually only shoot out to about 600 yds....maybe 800...but I spend a lot of time at a 100 - 240yd range doing load development.

A lot of times....we only get to shoot out to where we want to....in competitions held on private farms/ranges.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Thunder valley is about the closest for me also at around 3.5 hours. Hopefully next year I’ll make it out there and stretch the 308 out a bit more.