Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recent Finds

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Recent Finds

Was looking over some recent finds and noticed a few 30-30's, a half dozen 45 Colts and a single 351 WSL! I seldom find 30-30's anymore, never found 45 Colts in any quantity and never found a 351! I've kind of grown accustomed to 9mm's, 40 S&W and 223's. Oh, there are lots of them still!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Yup, same here.
    Been seeing a lot of 7.62x39 steel shells on the range and some in .223.
    Run across a little 10mm and some 38 Super last time and also the new kid on the block .224 Valkyrie. Just sent those to another member this week.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    9mm's, 40 S&W and 223's. Oh, there are lots of them still!
    Yep, lots of those. I've found a few 6.5 Grendel, .308 Winchester/7.62 NATO, and a handful of .300 Blackout.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    My last trip out I picked up a ton of 5.56, 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP, 308 and the like....like normal...but I picked up a 10mm, some 7.62 Nagant, a few 30-30, and some 50AE. I picked up a few other odd balls that I will sneak in as bonus gifts to people I know want them in future trades.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Is there any market for 223/ 5.56 ? I get tons of it here from shooters and LEA, but no real need for it as it is cheaper to buy ammo than reload 223. We clean up a couple of ranges, so we see a weird mix. I have 5 gal buckets of it. Brass, not steel ( I just dumpster those) I end up taking the 223 to the brass recycling along with the berdan rifle brass from the MGs. Sort of getting to the same point on 40 S&W and 9mm, as I have way more brass than I an use.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    223's along with 9mm and 40 S&W are so plentiful right now that they are hard to trade or sell. When they do sell they have to be priced near scrap value. I hate to scrap decent brass and plan to hold mine for the next shortage. Its coming, sooner or later. At least they always have.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I just sorted through another tub of recent finds. An unusual amount of odd stuff. A single 30-06AI, a 7STW AI loaded round missing the primer, several 10mm, a handful of 300BO. And the usual complement of 9's, 40's and 223!

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Its coming, sooner or later. At least they always have.
    Im guessing about this time next year, things will start to dry up and prices will increase again.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Just went to my outdoor range yesterday. My out-of-the-ordinary finds were 32 ACP, 44 Magnum, 44 Special, 6.5 Creedmoor, and a dozen or so of what I believe is a Turkish rifle cartridge, maybe a Mauser. Leastways that's what a brief Google search turned up. Headstamp has a T, then a crescent with a star over it, then a C. Date 1942. Don't remember the rest of it, not that easy to read. Probably Berdan, but I just chucked it in a box to look at later.

The Creedmoor and 32 are headed for trade here, once I get enough to even list. The 44s are like gold nuggets to me, they aren't going anywhere.

Also found a few dozen 45 ACP, which is not that common, for that range at least. 38 and 357 are pretty rare too.

About half I find is steel case. I want a bumper sticker that says, "Friends don't let friends shoot steel case!"

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MG08 View Post
    Is there any market for 223/ 5.56 ? I get tons of it here from shooters and LEA, but no real need for it as it is cheaper to buy ammo than reload 223. We clean up a couple of ranges, so we see a weird mix. I have 5 gal buckets of it. Brass, not steel ( I just dumpster those) I end up taking the 223 to the brass recycling along with the berdan rifle brass from the MGs. Sort of getting to the same point on 40 S&W and 9mm, as I have way more brass than I an use.
    223's along with 9mm and 40 S&W are so plentiful right now that they are hard to trade or sell. When they do sell they have to be priced near scrap value. I hate to scrap decent brass and plan to hold mine for the next shortage. Its coming, sooner or later. At least they always have.
    Check out the mewe reloading groups. It's similar to facebook except they haven't banned reloading components like facebook did. If all you guys are doing is scraping that stuff it can't hurt to give mewe a try.
    Last edited by SafetyJoe; 05-19-2019 at 07:54 AM.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    A deputy in my county told me the same thing about their department switching from 40 back to 9mm. I don't shoot 40, but sure do find it. If the value for it does go up, I feel better about picking it up.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I pick everything up whether I need it or not. Just can't help it! Even the junk. Any caliber of brass has always gotten scarce during the past shortages. I've traded it, gifted it and sold it. Just today, I picked up a "big gulp" (quart) cup of 9mm and 223 that were run over and crushed. They will go into my scrap brass recycle bucket.

Safety Joe, I'll check out that site. Thanks for the idea.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I pick everything up whether I need it or not. Just can't help it! Even the junk. Any caliber of brass has always gotten scarce during the past shortages. I've traded it, gifted it and sold it. Just today, I picked up a "big gulp" (quart) cup of 9mm and 223 that were run over and crushed. They will go into my scrap brass recycle bucket.

Safety Joe, I'll check out that site. Thanks for the idea.
    You're welcome.
    Last edited by SafetyJoe; 05-19-2019 at 07:55 AM.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Here in Minnesota the shooters pick up everything. I think they are ashamed to litter. Sometimes I think they sweep the dirt to make sure it is clean and well cared for. Finding discarded brass is difficult at best. We don't even see discarded .22 casings.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I had something unusual happen recently. I was sorting and depriming some recent finds and I had the depriming pin punch through several of the primers. This was nice clean looking brass. I've had this happen with corroded looking stuff before but not with anything that looked this good. This was Winchester 380 brass and the same Lee universal depriming die that I always use.

It makes me glad that I deprime and tumble my brass before I mail it off in a trade.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbaker78 View Post
    Im guessing about this time next year, things will start to dry up and prices will increase again.
    Wow, That was a heck of a guess! I'm guessing you were thinking election year. Who would have thought we would have a Pandemic?

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Oh, holy crap... I forgot I wrote that..

I was mainly getting at the election panic, but I think people are less worried about creepy uncle joe than they were in past election panics.

I don’t think anyone could’ve predicted this madness...

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Odd finds----- Its been pretty hot here lately and I was looking for something to do inside so I looked through a tub of brass that I picked up earlier this year. I had a few 17 Hornet cases, a few 357 Sig cases and a few 10mm. Thats very rare for around here! And the usual compliment of 9mm, 40 S&W and 223!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have been collecting and saving oddball brass for decades. When I moved to Florida, 8 years ago, my kids chastised me for bringing all this brass with me. I knew it was the right thing to do.

About a month ago, my oldest friend on the planet (he's 93 and lives in Maine) bought an antique Winchester lever action rifle chambered in an almost completely obsolete cartridge, 32 Win Special. I was able to come up with 191 pcs of it, and borrowed a die set from a friend in Oregon. I had a fellow here send me another dozen pcs, which put me over the full 200 cartridges loaded, and FedEx'd off to him. Just arrived there this morning.

So, you just never know when something oddball eventually finds a use.

The amazing thing about this site (ammobrasstrader) is that it's the perfect gathering place for people needing brass. Trading is much better than buying.

Administrator - Ammo Brass Trader
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Brass finds for me has been very bleak lately. I'm retired, go to the range during the week when they open. I often find myself on the member's side, by myself. The brass buckets have been emptied. Last time I went, two shooters showed up and I asked if I could have their brass. First time in weeks. They were shooting real brass and something I could use... Otherwise, lots of Wolf and crap. Things will improve. Just have to be patient. However, this site is a great resource!
    Last edited by 1blue; 09-20-2020 at 08:42 PM.