Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Recent Finds

  1. #1
    Brass Trader
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    218
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

    Recent Finds

    Was looking over some recent finds and noticed a few 30-30's, a half dozen 45 Colts and a single 351 WSL! I seldom find 30-30's anymore, never found 45 Colts in any quantity and never found a 351! I've kind of grown accustomed to 9mm's, 40 S&W and 223's. Oh, there are lots of them still!

  2. #2
    Brass Trader JJ444's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    45
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Yup, same here.
    Been seeing a lot of 7.62x39 steel shells on the range and some in .223.
    Run across a little 10mm and some 38 Super last time and also the new kid on the block .224 Valkyrie. Just sent those to another member this week.

  3. #3
    Brass Trader WarEagleEd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    303
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    9mm's, 40 S&W and 223's. Oh, there are lots of them still!
    Yep, lots of those. I've found a few 6.5 Grendel, .308 Winchester/7.62 NATO, and a handful of .300 Blackout.

  4. #4
    Brass Trader
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    91
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    My last trip out I picked up a ton of 5.56, 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP, 308 and the like....like normal...but I picked up a 10mm, some 7.62 Nagant, a few 30-30, and some 50AE. I picked up a few other odd balls that I will sneak in as bonus gifts to people I know want them in future trades.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    4
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Is there any market for 223/ 5.56 ? I get tons of it here from shooters and LEA, but no real need for it as it is cheaper to buy ammo than reload 223. We clean up a couple of ranges, so we see a weird mix. I have 5 gal buckets of it. Brass, not steel ( I just dumpster those) I end up taking the 223 to the brass recycling along with the berdan rifle brass from the MGs. Sort of getting to the same point on 40 S&W and 9mm, as I have way more brass than I an use.

  6. #6
    Brass Trader
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    218
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    223's along with 9mm and 40 S&W are so plentiful right now that they are hard to trade or sell. When they do sell they have to be priced near scrap value. I hate to scrap decent brass and plan to hold mine for the next shortage. Its coming, sooner or later. At least they always have.

  7. #7
    Brass Trader
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    218
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I just sorted through another tub of recent finds. An unusual amount of odd stuff. A single 30-06AI, a 7STW AI loaded round missing the primer, several 10mm, a handful of 300BO. And the usual complement of 9's, 40's and 223!

  8. #8
    Brass Trader
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    678
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Its coming, sooner or later. At least they always have.
    Im guessing about this time next year, things will start to dry up and prices will increase again.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    8
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Just went to my outdoor range yesterday. My out-of-the-ordinary finds were 32 ACP, 44 Magnum, 44 Special, 6.5 Creedmoor, and a dozen or so of what I believe is a Turkish rifle cartridge, maybe a Mauser. Leastways that's what a brief Google search turned up. Headstamp has a T, then a crescent with a star over it, then a C. Date 1942. Don't remember the rest of it, not that easy to read. Probably Berdan, but I just chucked it in a box to look at later.

    The Creedmoor and 32 are headed for trade here, once I get enough to even list. The 44s are like gold nuggets to me, they aren't going anywhere.

    Also found a few dozen 45 ACP, which is not that common, for that range at least. 38 and 357 are pretty rare too.

    About half I find is steel case. I want a bumper sticker that says, "Friends don't let friends shoot steel case!"

  10. #10
    Brass Trader SafetyJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    190
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MG08 View Post
    Is there any market for 223/ 5.56 ? I get tons of it here from shooters and LEA, but no real need for it as it is cheaper to buy ammo than reload 223. We clean up a couple of ranges, so we see a weird mix. I have 5 gal buckets of it. Brass, not steel ( I just dumpster those) I end up taking the 223 to the brass recycling along with the berdan rifle brass from the MGs. Sort of getting to the same point on 40 S&W and 9mm, as I have way more brass than I an use.
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    223's along with 9mm and 40 S&W are so plentiful right now that they are hard to trade or sell. When they do sell they have to be priced near scrap value. I hate to scrap decent brass and plan to hold mine for the next shortage. Its coming, sooner or later. At least they always have.
    Check out the mewe reloading groups. It's similar to facebook except they haven't banned reloading components like facebook did. If all you guys are doing is scraping that stuff it can't hurt to give mewe a try.
    Last edited by SafetyJoe; 05-19-2019 at 07:54 AM.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    8
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    A deputy in my county told me the same thing about their department switching from 40 back to 9mm. I don't shoot 40, but sure do find it. If the value for it does go up, I feel better about picking it up.

  12. #12
    Brass Trader
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    218
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I pick everything up whether I need it or not. Just can't help it! Even the junk. Any caliber of brass has always gotten scarce during the past shortages. I've traded it, gifted it and sold it. Just today, I picked up a "big gulp" (quart) cup of 9mm and 223 that were run over and crushed. They will go into my scrap brass recycle bucket.

    Safety Joe, I'll check out that site. Thanks for the idea.

  13. #13
    Brass Trader SafetyJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    190
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I pick everything up whether I need it or not. Just can't help it! Even the junk. Any caliber of brass has always gotten scarce during the past shortages. I've traded it, gifted it and sold it. Just today, I picked up a "big gulp" (quart) cup of 9mm and 223 that were run over and crushed. They will go into my scrap brass recycle bucket.

    Safety Joe, I'll check out that site. Thanks for the idea.
    You're welcome.
    Last edited by SafetyJoe; 05-19-2019 at 07:55 AM.

  14. #14
    Brass Trader
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    33
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Here in Minnesota the shooters pick up everything. I think they are ashamed to litter. Sometimes I think they sweep the dirt to make sure it is clean and well cared for. Finding discarded brass is difficult at best. We don't even see discarded .22 casings.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check