Thread: Name something you are saving up to buy that you are really excited about

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Name something you are saving up to buy that you are really excited about

As the title says.... Name something you are having to save up for...because it is probably stupid expensive...that you are really excited about..and can't wait to be able to afford it.

I'll start off with two things...I'll buy the first one first of course...but the second one...while most may go WTH? I'm so pumped about it...I can't wait...

#1 Lab Radar Chronograph: https://mylabradar.com/labradar/

How many times have we thought we couldn't tighten our spreads...when it really wasn't our handloads....but the fault of our chronographs in certain lighting situations? I wanna know my muzzle velocity...the velocity at 50 and 100 yards....and calculated BCs....already sitting in my online cart...just needing some money.

#2 Annealing Made Perfect Mark II: https://www.ampannealing.com/index/

I've climbed into a rabbit hole of metallurgy and my earlier critiques of torch annealing seem to be true. Granted...these things are expensive...and yes..I'll purchase the add on AMP Mate to automatically feed my rounds...but I think I'll really love this thing...I've wasted money on more expensive things...but I don't think it will be a waste.

How about you? I suspect many will be eyeballing a press that is just out of reach....or maybe a high end lead pot? I know swaging dies aren't cheap either...believe me...I have a few of those as well.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    A new scope for my 308, frankford arsenal case trim and prep center (decided this looks better than the Lyman after watching a couple videos), and a ruger precision rimfire.

Way down the road is a 40s&w AR, 6.8spc upper for the SBR, and a 300wsm Barrel for my 308.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'm wanting to build an AR in 300BO with a night vision scope and possibly suppressed. I'll use it for shooting hogs at night.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    I can’t stay focused on one item long enough to complete it. Good case and point was a slide bolt AR pistol in 300aac. I ended up with a semi auto ambidextrous side charge.
    Now I’m still considering the slide bolt again but in 458socom but only using powder coated cast bullets in the 405gr range. First piece scheduled to arrive next week is a charging handle that negates the gas key and physically changes the definition of the firearm from semi auto to bolt action. Problematically I’m still undecided on a 12” or 16” barrel as I already have a 45-70 that I’m happy with.
    I really need the QuickLoads program before I purchase anything else.
    Last edited by tsubaki; 02-16-2019 at 03:57 AM.
    Benny

223 Rem, 7mm Rem Mag, 30 Carbine, 300 AAC, 30-30 Win, 308 Win, 30-06 Spr, 303 Brit, 458 SOCOM, 45-70 Govt.
    25 ACP, 32 S&W Long, 38 Spl, 357 Mag, 44 Spl, 44 Rem Mag, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 454 Casull.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Marlin 1894 CST in 357 magnum with a Griffin Armament Optimus silencer.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'm saving up for a Winchester Model 70 Classic Featherweight (pre-1964 controlled-round feed) in .280 Remington and a set of Conetrol scope mounts. I don't really need it as I don't hunt, so maybe I should focus on other things, but I've got "target fixation" on a classic, wood stocked, bolt action rifle.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WarEagleEd View Post
    I'm saving up for a Winchester Model 70 Classic Featherweight (pre-1964 controlled-round feed) in .280 Remington and a set of Conetrol scope mounts. I don't really need it as I don't hunt, so maybe I should focus on other things, but I've got "target fixation" on a classic, wood stocked, bolt action rifle.
    I heard the newer Winchester model 70 bolt guns are just as good and in some ways even better than the pre 64 ones. I'm not sure what all the reasons are, but I do know the trigger was improved. For a while the quality was bad after 1964, but I heard they are really good now and they have controlled round feed again. I handled a maple stocked one at my local cabelas and it was beautiful. The wood has a marbling look to it.
    Here's a video of one
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1ysmOkLfMI
    Last edited by SafetyJoe; 02-17-2019 at 06:32 PM.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I guy I used to work (since retired) with said he has a pre-64 model 70 in 264 win mag that’s unfired. I bet that thing is worth a pretty penny now.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Galil! I bought the parts kit...the barrel and the receiver from Tort Tort the receiver is the most expensive part at $500. Now I'm waiting for the Gun shop in town that specializes in building AKs to get it built. I think it will be a cool addition to my collection.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    A used Win 70 or Rem 700 to mount a 4-12X Redfield scope, Herters MDL 234 or MDL 243 turret press.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I may have to actually sell my Rem 700...my current build may bankrupt me.

300 PRC Build:

Defiance Deviant Tactical LA with Magnum bolt face receiver
    28" Bartlein Barrel 1-9 Twist spiral flutted #9 Heavy Varmit
    APA Little Bastard Muzzle brake blended...and all cerakoted

Trigger Tech Diamond trigger with flat shoe
    J Allen Enterprise JAE-700 LA stock with ARCA rail and bag rider
    Sphur mount
    Vortex Razor Gen II with Tremor
    Atlas Bi-Pod

Sprinkle a little fairy dust on it...and maybe I can become a good 2000yd shooter.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I ordered the first two of these today, now to work on the rest of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Mbaker78 View Post
    A new scope for my 308, frankford arsenal case trim and prep center (decided this looks better than the Lyman after watching a couple videos), and a ruger precision rimfire.

Way down the road is a 40s&w AR, 6.8spc upper for the SBR, and a 300wsm Barrel for my 308.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Not all of the Winchester Model 70s have the controlled-round feed (the Model 70 XTR is a push-feed). I think that all models in the "classic" series have the pre-64 CRF. The .280 Remington chambering is only offered in the Classic Featherweight, so that's what I'm looking for (I've actually found one, but keep balking at spending the money).

Apparently, in the early 1960s Winchester decided to reduce the manufacturing cost of their rifles to improve their competitiveness. They ditched the CRF, among other changes. Eventually they went bankrupt (1989) and FNH ended up buying them. I think the quality of the new guns is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by SafetyJoe View Post
    I heard the newer Winchester model 70 bolt guns are just as good and in some ways even better than the pre 64 ones. I'm not sure what all the reasons are, but I do know the trigger was improved. For a while the quality was bad after 1964, but I heard they are really good now and they have controlled round feed again. I handled a maple stocked one at my local cabelas and it was beautiful. The wood has a marbling look to it.
    Here's a video of one
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1ysmOkLfMI

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    Well my major plan is to get a house. Been saving up for the past 5 years to be able to buy property in Athens here. It's been my dream to have small vacation place of my own.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    My sanity, oh well who needs it.