Thread: Use for take down powder

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Use for take down powder

I've read a lot in years past about the pros and cons of pouring out old reloading powder for fertilizer for the grass or flowers....some..maybe made up...stories of accidents months after pouring out....I've poured it in a line and had fun burning it...but tonight...it is cold....33F and raining...to me..the worst kind of cold...cold and damp that sits in on the bones.

So...my wood was not wet..but not wanting to start very easily...so I took a little pulled down powder...poured just a bit into the envelope for my power bill...probably the best ever use for it....and started my fireplace with a little boost start....works great...on very little powder...probably keep the rest in a little plastic bottle for future use.

Now the house has that man smell of bourbon, pork chops, and burnt powder....oh man....smells great.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I save it in a jar and use it at deer camp. Makes a great light show around the campfire. I pick up duds at the range, including 22's, pull the bullets and dump the powder. I use a propane torch for starting the fire in the fireplace.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I dump it out in flower beds and the like. I'm curious to hear some of the stories of accidents as this is advice that I have received from several different people/sources.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    LAWN and shrubs. I would be terrified about having a container of this kind of stuff anywhere near the fireplace.

Administrator - Ammo Brass Trader
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Oh...it's not near the fireplace....it's in a powder container marked TAKE DOWN POWDER...and I put a teaspoon in a mailing envelope to start a fire....

Probably wait until someone has a nice bonfire and sprinkle some on that to impress the drunks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b2lee View Post
    Oh...it's not near the fireplace....it's in a powder container marked TAKE DOWN POWDER...and I used my sausage stuffers and put a teaspoon in a mailing envelope to start a fire....

Probably wait until someone has a nice bonfire and sprinkle some on that to impress the drunks.
    Doesn't take much to impress drunks though. haha
    Last edited by Coppock; 02-14-2024 at 03:18 AM.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I've used takedown powder for fire forming.
    Load and shoot: 6.5mm (Dutch, Jap., Carcano, Swede), 7x57, 7.35 Carcano, 7.5mm (Mas, Swiss), 303 British, 7.65x53, 7.7 Jap, 7.62x51, 30-06, 8x50R & 8x52R Siamese, 30-40 Krag, 8x57, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, 8x 56R, 30 Carbine, 450/577 Martini, 300 Win Mag, 45 LC.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I used to demil a LOT of ammo - turned in, evidence / seizure stuff, and Museum donation stuff. I let the son burn it up, play with it, after appropriate training. We got all kinds, even old recoiless strip powders and cannon large caliber stuff. For really large quantities it goes ot my EOD buddy to be blown up, unless it is something we can shoot. If I get enough to pull down in one batch I will save and label it for use. We had a bunch of rusty 7.62x39 ammo turned in, like 700+ rds. We used the Hornady camlock puller to pop them apart, weight about 30 or so random charges, and saved the powder and bullets. Wrote on the container what it was and charge weight / bullet weight. At some point I will reload it when I have enough brass to worry about it. Generally we have way to much fun playing with powder to just use it for fertilizer, as we are rural, we have a fire pit and in the summer the kids will get to play with the old powder, safely !