Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 143

Thread: A new "what are you doing in the loading room today" thread

  1. #121
    Brass Trader
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    75
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Pouring 124gr 9mm, 230gr .308 for 300blk subsonic, 45 Auto.....powdercoating everything.....sizing....and then load everything up.

    My goal today is to not have a single piece of loadable brass remaining...

    My goal tomorrow is to go to the range and make more reloadable brass

  2. #122
    Brass Trader
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    196
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I haven't done much in a week or so. I've been working on getting some Sunflowers planted for the Dove Hunt that I host in September and we have been at the Ball Park a lot on weekends. The oldest Grandson in on a couple of different teams.

    But I got to get busy this week. I'm leaving out Saturday on a Prairie Dog hunt and could stand having a few hundred more loaded rounds.

    I did get the ground worked up, sprayed and planted Friday. Just in time to catch some rain! Yea!!!

  3. #123
    Brass Trader
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    650
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I finally sorted through the brass from my range trip a few weeks back. I am starting to think that it actually does mate I have almost another quart baggie full of 9mm, and I don’t even own anything in 9mm...

    Maybe this is the sign to convert my M&P40 to 9mm and build a 9mm AR.

  4. #124
    Brass Trader
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    75
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbaker78 View Post
    I finally sorted through the brass from my range trip a few weeks back. I am starting to think that it actually does mate I have almost another quart baggie full of 9mm, and I don’t even own anything in 9mm...

    Maybe this is the sign to convert my M&P40 to 9mm and build a 9mm AR.
    Just buy a 9mm barrel. With the M&P 40 you can simply drop in a new barrel and run the same magazines...everything works great except that last round may not feed....depends on the mag though. I run my 9mm 124gr truncated cone powder coated bullets in my M&P 40 with a simple barrel change....and they run great. Super cheap too.

    I technically don't currently own a 9mm...but I've shot over 1k rounds of 9mm through the 40 this year...and I've loaded up maybe....5k rounds of 9mm in the last few weeks. I still have a few thousand 9mm brass that I may load...or use as jackets for my 40 S&W BTSniper swaged boolits.

    My three day weekend has consisted of shooting a lot of 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP, 300blk, 308Win, 5.56, and 8mm....I think I may have to go buy more primers next week....completely out of SPP...except for 100 magnums....completely out of LPP....and almost out of SRP....but I have a crap ton of LRP.

  5. #125
    Brass Trader WarEagleEd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    292
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I added a picatinny rail mount to a friend's AR so he can mount a Caldwell brass catcher to it and easily recovery his brass. .223/5.56 brass is pretty easy to find at the range, but he wants to recover and use the brass fired from his gun. I think he's going to convert some to .300 Blackout. I got to use my MTM Gun Vise for the first time, too, while putting on the mount.

  6. #126
    Administrator DukeInFlorida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    210
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Note regarding using 5.56 NATO brass for 300 blackout:

    300 Blackout spec calls for neck thickness to be .015".

    300 Blackout brass can be made by cutting down 5.56 NATO brass. ONLY 5.56 Nato brass is made with the sidewalls (in the area where the cut is) at .015" . Commercial 223 Remington is thinner in that area, running .011" to .013". So, commercial brass will nver meet the spec for 300 Blackout. Therefore, only ever use 5.56 NATO head stamped brass for making 300 Blackout.


    Quote Originally Posted by WarEagleEd View Post
    I added a picatinny rail mount to a friend's AR so he can mount a Caldwell brass catcher to it and easily recovery his brass. .223/5.56 brass is pretty easy to find at the range, but he wants to recover and use the brass fired from his gun. I think he's going to convert some to .300 Blackout. I got to use my MTM Gun Vise for the first time, too, while putting on the mount.
    Administrator - Ammo Brass Trader

    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    Author of a book on reloading

  7. #127
    Brass Trader
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    650
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Every time I go to my local cabelas they’re completely out of CCI SR primers (400?)

  8. #128
    Brass Trader
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    75
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbaker78 View Post
    Every time I go to my local cabelas they’re completely out of CCI SR primers (400?)
    heh...I hope you didn't go to my Cabelas...I just cleaned them out of CCI SRP, LRP, LPP, and SPP...

    Anything that goes through the progressive press gets CCI...they machine the best...with the vibratory primer tube filler....the CCIs are flawless...the Federal Match....not so much.

  9. #129
    Brass Trader SafetyJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    175
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbaker78 View Post
    Every time I go to my local cabelas they’re completely out of CCI SR primers (400?)
    Since bass pro took over cabelas a lot of things have changed. I haven't seen any primers at my local cabelas in almost a year.
    CCI has a 20% rebate going on. I bought a bunch of CCI primers at a local gun shop for $30 per brick and then sent off to get the 20% rebate. You can also get the 20% rebate from online orders too. It's a yearly rebate that federal does this time of year. Here's a link to that info https://promotions.vistaoutdoor.com/.../120/EntryForm
    Last edited by SafetyJoe; 05-27-2019 at 07:34 AM.

  10. #130
    Brass Trader
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    650
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by b2lee View Post
    heh...I hope you didn't go to my Cabelas...I just cleaned them out of CCI SRP, LRP, LPP, and SPP...

    Anything that goes through the progressive press gets CCI...they machine the best...with the vibratory primer tube filler....the CCIs are flawless...the Federal Match....not so much.
    I’m guessing you go to west chester, I usually go to the one on Wilmington pike unless the wife drags me to ikea.

    I hand prime everything anymore since I switched to an APS tool.

  11. #131
    Brass Trader
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    650
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyJoe View Post
    Since bass pro took over cabelas a lot of things have changed. I haven't seen any primers at my local cabelas in almost a year.
    CCI has a 20% rebate going on. I bought a bunch of CCI primers at a local gun shop for $30 per brick and then sent off to get the 20% rebate. You can also get the 20% rebate from online orders too. It's a yearly rebate that federal does this time of year. Here's a link to that info https://promotions.vistaoutdoor.com/.../120/EntryForm
    I’ll probably eventually break down and buy 5k online. Just have to get some money saved up first.

  12. #132
    Brass Trader
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    75
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbaker78 View Post
    I’m guessing you go to west chester, I usually go to the one on Wilmington pike unless the wife drags me to ikea.

    I hand prime everything anymore since I switched to an APS tool.
    Yep...I drive the 45mins or so up there to West Chester. I hand prime my accuracy stuff...for plinking and 300blk...it's going to either get the Hornady LNL AP or the Lee Bench Primer.... the 308 comp rifle gets the hornady hand prime....but the 300PRC is going to get a Sinclair hand primer dedicated to it....can't wait to get my barreled action back and start some load development. I have to get my skill set back up to the point where I can actually start testing primers and see a difference from one brand/lot to the next. Right now, my shooting skills have diminished to the point where I doubt seating depth experiments would do me much good

  13. #133
    Brass Trader
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    196
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Not much. Just got back from a Prairie Dog hunt and unloaded the truck. Sorted my empties out from some loaded rounds that got mixed up and deprimed them.

  14. #134
    Brass Trader
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    196
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Just sorted through a large cup of range brass. Looks like a lot of it is headed for the scrap bucket and I deprimed the keepers. I about have enough scrap to sell. I also have enough wheel weights for a smelt and I'm waiting on a buddy to have a day off to help. I'll add the clips to the stuff headed to the scrap yard. I had over 600# of clips the last time I made a run.

  15. #135
    Brass Trader
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    75
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    poured about 1k of the Lee 230gr truncated cones in 45acp....in the process of powder coating them now....need to get by the range and do some actual shooting...but the weather on my off days has been horrific....plus I work about 72 hours a week.

  16. #136
    Administrator DukeInFlorida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    210
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I NEVER sell my scrap brass. I always trade with the scrap dealer, for LEAD! He's happy to get the lead off his property, and I always get a great exchange rate.


    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Just sorted through a large cup of range brass. Looks like a lot of it is headed for the scrap bucket and I deprimed the keepers. I about have enough scrap to sell. I also have enough wheel weights for a smelt and I'm waiting on a buddy to have a day off to help. I'll add the clips to the stuff headed to the scrap yard. I had over 600# of clips the last time I made a run.
    Administrator - Ammo Brass Trader

    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    Author of a book on reloading

  17. #137
    Brass Trader
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    650
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeInFlorida View Post
    I always trade with the scrap dealer, for LEAD!
    I plan on doing the same thing when I have enough to make it worth the trip. Right now I have 3 1lb coffee cans full of spent primers and a bunch of the neck cutoffs from making 300aac, along with a few pounds of miscellaneous damaged brass. I’ll probably take them once I finish off this next coffee can of primers.

  18. #138
    Brass Trader WarEagleEd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    292
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I finally had the opportunity to use the RCBS APS Strip Loader and loaded 100 CCI #300 LP primers and 100 Federal #100 SP primers. I hope the LP primers will find their way into some .45 ACP loads and the SP primers into some .380 ACP loads. I'll be using Berry's Plated bullets in the .380 loads, which I have never used before.

  19. #139
    Brass Trader
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    196
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeInFlorida View Post
    I NEVER sell my scrap brass. I always trade with the scrap dealer, for LEAD! He's happy to get the lead off his property, and I always get a great exchange rate.
    Thats would be nice but the yards around here won't sell or trade to the public. But my scrap money does get recycled. It usually goes to powder or primers. Occasionally new brass and sometimes a new gun!

  20. #140
    Brass Trader
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    196
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Have not done much lately in the gun room. Been busy farming at the Duck Club. Had several long days on the tractor lately. I just helped a buddy move a John Deere 4960 with a 24ft disc 52 miles from his farm to the club. A lot of it on county roads and state highways. The farming thing will be done by the end of the month, one way or another!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check