Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: A new "what are you doing in the loading room today" thread

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by b2lee View Post
    What a wonderful day in the reloading room. Got everything all nice and tidy for a change. Loaded up 250 300blk using 150 plated flat nose/base and 250 with the lee 230gr boolit powder coated. Going to shoot both suppressed. I've shot the 230gr ones earlier this year and I asked the hog if it was a good boolit...but the guy just wouldn't talk. Interested in seeing how the 150gr plated do, but again...I don't think the hogs will be very helpful...atleast not verbally.

Are you loading the 150s subsonic? What’s your preferred load, if you don’t mind sharing.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbaker78 View Post
    Are you loading the 150s subsonic? What’s your preferred load, if you don’t mind sharing.
    I'm running Lil'gun in a pistol length adjustable gas system. I ran the load down as far as I could go without keyholeing at 100 yards. I get a slight keyhole at 200 yards.

Normally I run the 150's at 1850ft/s with Lil'gun but I wanted to play with a light weight subsonic that would cycle...but this gun will cycle a sneeze it seems.

I'll probably shoot the light weights on some coyotes and see what the data says on some meat targets

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Wasn't planning on doing anything but I came home with a tub of range brass. So, I'm sorting and resizing brass!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Picked up brass Sunday. Sorted it that night. Got to bed at 1 am. Monday evening I made it back in and started tumbling a gallon bag of 223. Pulled that and tumbled 3/4 a gallon bag of 45 acp. Resized the 223. Put 223 back in and sized the 45 acp. Got to bed at 1. Was asked if I had a gf down there. Answered could all be. Got up this morning a fired up the tumbler. Will size and tumble as I go. Until my buddy calls. Gotta make the tools to scrape and tan two deer hides today.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    So I got some 308 brass in from a trade yesterday. I deprimed, I swaged the primer pocket...I full length sized....I trimmed...I chamfered...I deburred...then I stuck them in the wet tumble and got them shiny as can be...I put them in the food dehydrator and got them all nice and dry....I primed them....I reached for the Varget...DOH!!!! I'm out.

I drove around today and couldn't find anything to reload 308 with, much less Varget. Guess I'll put in an order on powder valley and wait all week

Guess today I'll just finish up the 40S&W I got in...already deprimed, washed and dried...throw them in the Hornady LNL and bust out a 1000 real quick...I don't think I'll run out of pistol powder in the next 10 years...but I can't keep Varget on hand to save my life.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    B2lee,
    where are you located? i see varget and a good assortment of powders at all my local shows. one of my local shops has it but more expensive than the shows

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'm in Northern Kentucky

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Have not done anything in a few days. Trying to keep this thread alive. I sorted 1-1/2 buckets of wheel weights last Tuesday and have not been able to stand up since then. Guess I sat hunched over on a plastic milk crate for too long. Danged ole wore out back! The good news is that if feels more like a sore muscle than a pinched nerve. More good news was that the lead to junk ratio seems to be holding up pretty well around here. I estimate 75-80% lead out of these buckets. And the steel weights seem to be taking over from the zinc which I see as a good thing.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Well...in the middle of a Severe Weather Alert here in Northern Kentucky I decided I would continue reloading some 40S&W. I get everything together and before I pour powder in the hopper I notice I have ZERO small pistol primers....WTF? So I drive 15mins up the road to Field & Stream because at 7:30pm who else is open? They were sold out of only small pistol primer but they had large and rifle...but I have enough of those. They had a sale on some 12ga for clays and some 500bricks of 22lr so picked up a few of each.

Got to the parking lot and decided...what the heck...I'm already 1/3rd of the way there...so I drive 30miles north to the Cabela's on the North side of Cincinnati, OH. Snowing like a mofo...but I get there and not only did they have a ton of primers...but they had 4lbs of Varget as well....Sorry to anyone else looking for Varget this week...I bought them all....a few other goodies in the cart and headed home....only took 37mins vs the normal 35mins to get home....everyone was well behaved and driving a decent safe speed on I-75.

Now...time to go reload some 40S&W and tomorrow it will be 45ACP and maybe some 5.56.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I’ve been to that very cabelas, I’m just another hour north of there, they probably had more in stock but they’re only allowed to put so many cans out front for whatever reason.

How much snow did you end up getting? We got roughly 6” just north of Dayton.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    We got maybe 4 inches...then the rain set in and washed away most....then it snowed another inch over night....very disappointing.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Its about perfect here now, the roads are clear but the rest of the ground is nicely covered.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Weighing the wheels for a Pinewood Derby car! Guess what time of the year it is?

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I still have a couple of my pinewood derby cars from probably 30 years ago.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Me and the Boys have had a few winners over the years. My oldest Son is a Scout Leader now. And WOW, things have really changed. An aluminum track, electric release, a light tree like you see at the drag strip, remote control, electronic finish line. Its even connected to a lap top and displays times and speeds projected on the wall. I built the wood track that we used, had a manual trigger to release the cars and had 2 spotters at the finish line. Brings back good memories. Youtube has really caused the cars builds to become advanced too!

Ok, back to reloading.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    After receiving some brass in the mail from several of you fine gentlemen this week.

Today I processed 5.56, 300blk, 45ACP, 40S&W and 308.

1. De-primed and wet tumbled All
    2. Primer pocket swaged the 5.56, 300blk and the 308.
    3. Resized the 5.56, 300blk and the 308.
    4. Trimmed,deburred, chamfered the 5.56 and 308....get the 300blk tomorrow...using a drill press and a Little Crow Gun Works WFT.
    5. Primed and loaded the 308 including a taper crimp. 175gr smk with Varget
    6. Ran all 308 through a case gauge.
    7. Loaded another 500+ 40S&W in the Hornady LNL AP.
    8. Seperate factory crimp die on the 40S&W on the RCBS IV.
    9. Checked all 40S&W in a Shockbottle case gauge 100 at a time.
    10. Took down 2 40S&W that didn't pass QC at the end.

Tomorrow....maybe I'll get a little more serious and get something done

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    What are you using to swage the brass with? Are you using a dillon super swage or the hornady LNL swager?

After receiving some brass in the mail from several of you fine gentlemen this week.

Today I processed 5.56, 300blk, 45ACP, 40S&W and 308.

1. De-primed and wet tumbled All
    2. Primer pocket swaged the 5.56, 300blk and the 308.
    3. Resized the 5.56, 300blk and the 308.
    4. Trimmed,deburred, chamfered the 5.56 and 308....get the 300blk tomorrow...using a drill press and a Little Crow Gun Works WFT.
    5. Primed and loaded the 308 including a taper crimp. 175gr smk with Varget
    6. Ran all 308 through a case gauge.
    7. Loaded another 500+ 40S&W in the Hornady LNL AP.
    8. Seperate factory crimp die on the 40S&W on the RCBS IV.
    9. Checked all 40S&W in a Shockbottle case gauge 100 at a time.
    10. Took down 2 40S&W that didn't pass QC at the end.

Tomorrow....maybe I'll get a little more serious and get something done

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Joe,

I'm using the Dillon Super Swage...I really...I mean really love it mounted to my work bench using the Inline Fabrication flush mount system. I probably own most of the primer pocket swage-ing systems/devices...but the Dillon Super Swage is my favorite by far.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Yeah, I use the Dillon Super Swage too and I also have the inline fabrication mount for it, but I don't use the flush mount. I'm tempted to try the adapter for the hornady LNL press because it looks like it might work pretty good too.

110745041217_swage_plate.2fdf065c.jpg

Joe,

I'm using the Dillon Super Swage...I really...I mean really love it mounted to my work bench using the Inline Fabrication flush mount system. I probably own most of the primer pocket swage-ing systems/devices...but the Dillon Super Swage is my favorite by far.
    Last edited by SafetyJoe; 01-16-2019 at 10:18 PM.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Joe, maybe I'll put that on my list of things to buy and play with. However, besides saving money to build a 300 Norma Mag...and probably a Vortex Razor HD Gen II on top....I'm literally salivating over the AMP Mark II Annealer with the AMPMate auto feed system. Maybe I should ask for a raise at work..because 2019 is already shaping up to be an expensive year for my shooting hobbies.

Maybe in the near future I can come on this thread and say...'yea...annealed 1000 5.56 and 1000 .308 while eating a sandwich'.

Lee