Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: A new "what are you doing in the loading room today" thread

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have thousands of Win 38 special and Starline 44 magnum brass to SS Pin tumble. Issue is that my tumbler is at a buddy's house, 45 minutes from here, and his wife being a nurse says no one is coming to visit, for any reason. So, gonna have to wait. I SS tumble all my match shot brass. Media tumbling is OK for everything else.

Administrator - Ammo Brass Trader
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    Finished loading some 8mm Nambu and decapping a bunch of other brass.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I used the last of my lead making up some more 30 and 40 cal bullets. Powder coated and sized them all, now I just need to actually load them up.

I’m off work until may, so I’ll have plenty of time.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I tumbled some .30-06 brass. I then started sorting all the brass I have tumbled over the last several days. This caused me to look over my brass stash and come to the realization that I don't need any more brass. I need to start reloading what I have (which I'm finding difficult to do with 2 kids under 2).

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I sorted and put into containers .30-06 brass that I tumbled yesterday.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I deprimed the 300 Winchester brass that I received from Duckhunter39480 and started doing some research on some old 30-06 Military brass that he sent me. I ID'd all but one of them!

After while I'll sort through some brass that The Wife and I picked up yesterday while out riding around. As usual its mostly 223, 9mm and 40 S&W. We pick up the crushed and old corroded stuff too. I have enough scrap to sell, whenever this virus thing is over!

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    I loaded some 10mm, 9mm and I am working on some 22TCM. For those that remember the original ABT and George from Colorado, I had some 9mm cast bullets he sent me and I finally loaded them. Up until now I was shooting mainly 10 and 45 but I have a daughter-in-law that shoots 9 so it worked out just right.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I loaded up 400 rounds of 40s&w with some of the bullets I cast/coated. I have way more bullets than I do brass to load, which isn’t really a bad thing. I just need to shoot some more to empty up more brass.

I’ve also been searching around the internet, trying to find some wheel weight alloy or similar for less than $1.50/lb, not having much luck so far.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I had been reloading 223 on my Lee Pro 1000 and I started seeing high primers coming through the finished product. Initially I thought I had some crud built up under neath the shell plate and proceeded to start a tear down of my press to get everything cleaned up. Once I had the casting off that housed the shell plate, I discovered a very major "crack"at the ram post connector point on the floor of the casting plate. As luck would have it, I had previously purchased a 32-20 housing setup dirt cheap (apparently 25-20 also) and made a shell plate swap, installed it and started rolling again. Hey, if anyone wants a #6 shell plate for a Lee Pro 1000, let me know since I don't see either 32-20 or 25-20 in my immediate future. P.S. Not a bash on my Lee Press, I have a gallon jug of spent primers from running that press.
    Last edited by curt48mauser; 04-18-2020 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Addiional info

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    If you email lee a picture of the cracked carrier they will probably send you a free replacement. Or you’ll have to pay shipping at most. It’s always good to have spares

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    What is the advantage of wet tumbling, what equipment do you wet tumble in and what wet material do you wet tumble with? Tim

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I like wet tumbling because I can do a lot more at a time. But I don’t do it the same as most people do. I just use water and cleaning solution (frankford arsenal ultrasonic additive).

My tumbler holds 7 liters, so I can do about 1000 223 cases at a time. I run them for 2-3 hours then rinse them well before putting them in a food dehydrator for a few hours at 190.

They come out fairly shiny on the outside, though the inside and primer pockets don’t get that clean, but that doesn’t bother me.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbaker78 View Post
    I’ve also been searching around the internet, trying to find some wheel weight alloy or similar for less than $1.50/lb, not having much luck so far.
    Look in the swapping and selling section over on the Cast Boolits site. About weekly someone has some for sale.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I ran a load of assorted caliber brass through the tumbler and sorted a bunch of brass.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Look in the swapping and selling section over on the Cast Boolits site. About weekly someone has some for sale.
    Every one I’ve seen so far has already been sold... it goes quick

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Hi Mbaker78,
    I have already gotten a new single stage press from them from when I was reforming 30-06 into 8mm, I'd say they have been treated pretty fairly-I dislike abusing that good will in the event something major really happens and I would hope to have a warranty honored.
    But I get where you are coming from with the spare parts supply.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Sorting out what I got in a local trade, yesterday. 320 pieces 7x57 & 8x57 1x brass, 250 pieces 45 LC 1x, and over 800 bullets (.284 & .323).
    Load and shoot: 6.5mm (Dutch, Jap., Carcano, Swede), 7x57, 7.35 Carcano, 7.5mm (Mas, Swiss), 303 British, 7.65x53, 7.7 Jap, 7.62x51, 30-06, 8x50R & 8x52R Siamese, 30-40 Krag, 8x57, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, 8x 56R, 30 Carbine, 450/577 Martini, 300 Win Mag, 45 LC.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet45120 View Post
    What is the advantage of wet tumbling, what equipment do you wet tumble in and what wet material do you wet tumble with? Tim
    I use a Lortone model 33B. I use some Lemi-Shine, non-concentrated Dawn dish detergent, and water. I get my stainless steel pins from Best Byte computers in Katy, TX. The Lortone 33B can't process a lot of brass at a time (just about a pound per barrel, the 33B has two barrels), but it suits my needs. My brass comes out very clean inside and out. Primer pockets usually come out just as clean, but sometimes there is a little residue left inside the pocket. With the vibratory cleaner I had issues with bits of the abrasive getting stuck in flash hole and powder/dust accumulation on brass that then had to be cleaned. I don't know if, generally speaking, there is any significant advantage to wet-tumbling.

As far as reloading related stuff, today I wet-tumbled a batch of .38 special and 9mm brass.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I unloaded a few hundred rounds over the last couple days, now I get to sort the brass from that.

ordered 100 pounds of lead (50 Linotype and 50 pure), my mailman is going to hate me when that shows up.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Sorted out about a coffee can of brass that either me and the Wife or me and a buddy picked up this week. Also sorted out a bucket of wheel weights that I picked up from the local tire shop. My lead to junk ratio is still holding up pretty well. About 70% lead.