Thread: A new "what are you doing in the loading room today" thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Wow! A really cool story. Hopefully you can get them resized without problems.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Wednesday I finally got to shoot my new 300PRC build with factory Hornady 225gr ELD Match......Just setting up the new MDT ACC chassis and sighting in the scope....seeing how she feels. Shot just 25 rounds and went home very happy with what I saw.

Wednesday night I started processing brass. The Brass grew quite a bit and I had a lot of trimming to do. So I deprimed, wet tumbled, dried, neck sized and bumped the shoulder back a few thou...and then trimmed to the listed trim to length.

Primed with Federal Match Primers....then loaded up 20 rounds...starting at the low end of the manual, then went up about 1.5-2.0 grains....The first 4 weights I just did 1 round each...knowing I most likely wouldn't be interested in them...but worked through the small stuff to get to where I thought I needed to be. Then three 5 round batches up the weight chart....and finally one above the max load just in case.

I used Retumbo Powder and the new 230gr A-Tips. First load was 68.5 grains and shot like a whimp...hitting 4 inches below my first shot of a Retail 225gr ELD-M load....sounded wimpy...recoiled wimpy.
    second, third and fourth loads.... were 70.0, 71.5, and 73.0 and shot through the same damn hole.
    Next 5 rounds of 75.0 and it was sub 1/2MOA
    I was getting all giggly about the prospects of the next two loads and on the first shot of the next 5 shot group....recoil broke the lower end scope I was using... DOH!!!!

I still shot the rest of the groups because I was measuring muzzle velocity. The next two groups I couldn't cover with a quarter....so broken scope hurt me on those 100yard groups...but the velocities looked good.

Low end showed 2701fp/s and high end was 3041fp/s.....not bad for a .308 diameter magnum with a BC north of .800.

Can't wait to get a new Razor GenII and try those other groups again. All brass appeared at first glance to show no signs of pressure...but tomorrow in the loading room I'll inspect each piece of brass under magnification and calipers and see if there was any pressure signs. I'll also measure force when depriming.