Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: A new "what are you doing in the loading room today" thread

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I removed primers from some .30 Carbine, .300 Blackout, and 7.62 X 39. Also, my Lee depriming die started to get some rust on the decapping pin nut and the top of the die, so I've got those soaking in some Evapo-rust. I'll see how they look in the morning.
    Last edited by WarEagleEd; 03-22-2020 at 06:06 AM.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    Put some 8mm Nambu together and took the new Nambu out and test fired it. The third time, first the magazine wouldn't stay in when fired, fixed that and I had bought some commercial ammunition and it didn't have enough power to fully cycle the action. Reloads worked like a charm and it was satisfying to have worked through all of the issues.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I just got in my latest order of powder, primers, and bullets. Now I just need to clean off my loading bench as I’ve been doing other projects and it seems to become a catch all when that happens.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    I know the feeling with the bench catch all.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    It was pretty bad this time. I replumbed all of my hot water lines, so I had pex tools, parts, and hangers laying everywhere.

Even after cleaning it, it’s not the best and would give some people panic attacks, but it was bad even by my standards this time.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Planned to pull down some 22-250 for trade and realized I don't have that collet size.
    Load and shoot: 6.5mm (Dutch, Jap., Carcano, Swede), 7x57, 7.35 Carcano, 7.5mm (Mas, Swiss), 303 British, 7.65x53, 7.7 Jap, 7.62x51, 30-06, 8x50R & 8x52R Siamese, 30-40 Krag, 8x57, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, 8x 56R, 30 Carbine, 450/577 Martini, 300 Win Mag, 45 LC.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Happyguy View Post
    I know the feeling with the bench catch all.
    It seems like my shop, garage and loading room all operate under the "flat surface rule". If its flat its suppost to have something stacked on it! Right?

I've been working on my brass stash for a while, a little every day. I actually started last Summer when it was too hot to do much else. And then took off for most of hunting season. Sorting, depriming and polishing. I'm also resizing the straight wall cases. The organization was pretty good, caliber wise, but I had polished brass mixed with unpolished and deprimed brass mixed with some with primers. And jugs and boxes of unsorted brass. I'm using mostly Folgers coffee cans and a Sharpie.
    Last edited by lightman; 03-25-2020 at 08:37 AM.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    Yeah I use the Kirkland laundry pod containers to store brass that is ready to clean. I had to take some time off from life and now just getting back into doing the things I like and there is a **** pot of brass to clean. David

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Yeah, I still had lots of stuff that I collected before I retired. I was hopelessly behind. It don't sound like much but I'm really glad to have this project under control!

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I removed the primers from about 50 pieces of 7.62 X 39 brass. What was odd is that 6 of them had unfired primers in them. When I removed them the primer pockets were dirty, so the cases had been fired at least once before and a new primer seated into them. I’ve never reloaded a single round of 7.62 X 39 so I don’t think that I seated the primers in those cases (one, I don’t remember doing it; two, my primer pockets would have been cleaner than that). The cases are Fiocchi and I have used some Fiocchi ammo in this caliber. Unfortunately, my label that’s in the bag with the brass isn’t too helpful. All it says is “Fiocchi” and the number of pieces. So, I initially thought this was brass that I had fired, but I now think it’s brass that I received in a trade. What do y’all do with live primers like this, render them inert?

Also, I was removing the primers with the Harvey depriming tool. I enjoy this tool as I can decap/deprime pretty much anywhere. I was processing the brass mentioned above while in the yard watching the kiddo play. One issue I do have with it is that the case’s flash hole can not be obstructed or the case won’t slide far enough down the depriming pin to fit into the body of the tool. Unless the obstruction is cleared, that case can not be deprimed by the Harvey tool. Usually I whack the case mouth against a suitable surface to dislodge the debris. But these 7.62 X 39 cases has some other issue, as a whack didn’t clear the flash hole. Nevertheless, I was able to deprime all but one of the cases. I had to use my newly cleaned Lee decapping die in the press to remove that primer.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I have the frankford arsenal hand decapper. It works well for doing the occasional case, but I don’t use it for large amounts of depriming, that’s where the new lee APP shines.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I just emptied out a set of parts drawers and moved them into my store room. I plan to use these for my trade brass. I've spent most of the afternoon making labels for the drawers. In the past my trade material has been in coffee cans on the same shelves as the brass that I load. I'm thinking this organization will be helpful.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WarEagleEd View Post
    I removed the primers from about 50 pieces of 7.62 X 39 brass. What was odd is that 6 of them had unfired primers in them. When I removed them the primer pockets were dirty, so the cases had been fired at least once before and a new primer seated into them. I’ve never reloaded a single round of 7.62 X 39 so I don’t think that I seated the primers in those cases (one, I don’t remember doing it; two, my primer pockets would have been cleaner than that). The cases are Fiocchi and I have used some Fiocchi ammo in this caliber. Unfortunately, my label that’s in the bag with the brass isn’t too helpful. All it says is “Fiocchi” and the number of pieces. So, I initially thought this was brass that I had fired, but I now think it’s brass that I received in a trade. What do y’all do with live primers like this, render them inert?
    As I have aged I have forced myself to make more and better notes when I feel the need to put a note on stuff. You think you can remember but......

As to live primers, I just drop them into the trash can. I never have enough at any one time to cause a hazard. They are nearly impossible to kill so I don't bother. I do save spent primers and I'm careful to not get live ones mixed in them.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    As I have aged I have forced myself to make more and better notes when I feel the need to put a note on stuff. You think you can remember but......

As to live primers, I just drop them into the trash can. I never have enough at any one time to cause a hazard. They are nearly impossible to kill so I don't bother. I do save spent primers and I'm careful to not get live ones mixed in them.
    A man I can understand, saving spent primers.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I probably have 4 1lb powder cans full of spent primers. I’m planning on taking them and all of my scrap brass to the recycling place and basically trading it for lead/Linotype when I have enough to make it worth the trip.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    I did some experimenting with repriming the spent primers with caps and it does work but not the best solution.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I save mine to sell as scrap. One would be surprised how heavy a gallon of them feels.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I scrap my spent primers too, but wont be doing that anytime soon because the stock market crash took down brass prices too. Once all these trillions of newly created "out of thin air" dollars the central bank is dropping from helicopters start circulating through the economy we'll start to see a lot of inflation that will cause prices of everything to rise, including brass.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I removed primers from the rest of my .38 special brass. I've been getting a fair amount done lately. I've tumbled a decent amount of brass, deprimed a bunch of brass, and even ordered more stainless steel pins for wet tumbling.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I tumbled some .380 Auto and .38 Special brass today.