Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: What are you doing on the loading Bench today--------Part 2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    120
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

    What are you doing on the loading Bench today--------Part 2

    I enjoyed the first thread and thought I would start another since the first one was closed. So, what are you doing in the loading room today? I just finished washing and depriming a tub of range brass. I love deer season, I find calibers other than 9mm, 40 S&W and 223!

  2. #2
    Senior Member SafetyJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    142
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I just finished drying 5 gallons of 38/357 mag brass that I wet tumbled clean last night. I'm using a homemade brass dryer I invented that uses stacked plastic tubs and two 100 watt equivalent halogen light bulbs. The top tub that the brass is inside has hundreds of holes I melted in the bottom with a soldering iron. The holes allow the heat from the light bulbs to permeate up and through the brass. The middle tub has a large hole in the center for the heat from the light bulbs to pass through while still shielding the bulbs from any dripping water and the bottom tub allows the room for the light bulbs. The bottom tub and top tub lid also have vent holes to allow the heat and moisture to circulate up and out. All 3 tubs are not the same height. The bottom tub is the deepest to allow extra room for the light bulbs. I was able to dry all 5 gallons of brass in only a few hours. Tumbling clean all 5 gallons of brass took 3 hours to tumble in 3 separate tumblers. Each batch tumbled for 1.5 hours and I ran 6 of those batches. Total hands on time spent loading the tumblers and later rinsing the 5 gallons of brass and dumping them in my homemade dryer was under 1.5 hours. So with this setup I'm able to clean 5 gallons of brass with about 1hr 15 min of actual hands on work and 3 hours total of wet tumbling.

    Last edited by SafetyJoe; 11-09-2018 at 09:20 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    120
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyJoe View Post
    I just finished drying 5 gallons of 38/357 mag brass that I wet tumbled clean last night. I'm using a homemade brass dryer I invented that uses stacked plastic tubs and two 100 watt equivalent halogen light bulbs. The top tub that the brass is inside has hundreds of holes I melted in the bottom with a soldering iron. The holes allow the heat from the light bulbs to permeate up and through the brass. The middle tub has a large hole in the center for the heat from the light bulbs to pass through while still shielding the bulbs from any dripping water and the bottom tub allows the room for the light bulbs. The bottom tub and top tub lid also have vent holes to allow the heat and moisture to circulate up and out. All 3 tubs are not the same height. The bottom tub is the deepest to allow extra room for the light bulbs. I was able to dry all 5 gallons of brass in only a few hours. Tumbling clean all 5 gallons of brass took 3 hours to tumble in 3 separate tumblers. Each batch tumbled for 1.5 hours and I ran 6 of those batches. Total hands on time spent loading the tumblers and later rinsing the 5 gallons of brass and dumping them in my homemade dryer was under 1.5 hours. So with this setup I'm able to clean 5 gallons of brass with about 1hr 15 min of actual hands on work and 3 hours total of wet tumbling.

    It sounds like you have developed a pretty efficient method for tumbling. I usually tumble for 2 hours mostly because my timer has 2 hour increments.

  4. #4
    Senior Member SafetyJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    142
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    It sounds like you have developed a pretty efficient method for tumbling. I usually tumble for 2 hours mostly because my timer has 2 hour increments.
    Yeah, sometimes I'll tumble the brass for longer depending on how dirty they are. That revolver brass wasn't too bad so 1.5 hours was fine.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    597
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Over the last couple weeks I loaded up the last of my 223 bullets (just over 500 rounds total loaded up) and switched my press over to 40s&w. Changed the setup to size on a single stage and hand prime, so I can crimp on the progressive (lee pro 1000) since it’s only 3 stations.

    I’ll probably size and prime all of my available 40s&w brass tomorrow, so it’s ready to load on my next set of days off.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    120
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Just got back from deer camp and unloaded all of the gear. I managed to pick up some brass at the club range and from a nearby gravel pit. Its good to finally pick up something outside of the normal 9mm,40 S&W 223 stuff!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    597
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I swapped my pro1000 over to 40s&w and set it up to charge, seat, and crimp, so I can size on a single stage and hand prime. I already do the same with rifle rounds and it goes much smoother. The only problem is that the powder measure is too low and hits on the seating die, so I had to order a riser for it and am waiting for it to come in before I can load anything.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,030
    Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    I can only wish I was well enough to be reloading right now.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    120
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gandog56 View Post
    I can only wish I was well enough to be reloading right now.
    Hang in there, you will be back at the bench soon enough. Until then, you can hang out here on the site and enjoy the hobby through us.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    120
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Its raining here so I'm hiding out in the loading room listening to 60's and 70's music on Utube and depriming the range brass that I scavenged at deer camp. Man I wish someone wanted some 270 brass! After the normal 9mm, 40 S&W 223 stuff I picked up more 270's than anything else. It looks like I have quite an odd assortment of stuff. A couple of 32 S&W's, a few 10mm, 38 spl, 44 mag, 45 Colt, 22-250, 243, 6.5 Creed, 270, 30-06, 30-30, 7 Mag, 300 WM, 257 Wby. One of my regular haunts usually produces some of the larger Wbys, 7mm STW's, WSM's and RUM's but those guys mat still be tied up farming and unable to get away. I don't have a large range anywhere close by so most of my finds come from small private ranges and gravel pits.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check