Thread: My Trades - Steve K

Feedback Score

My Trades - Steve K

Will trade, let me know what I need to send

Needing 7mm -08
    New to the calibre, and have a few PPU brass but would like to something with better reputation.... Nosler, Lapua Rem, Win, Fed, etc.

Let me know.
    Last edited by SteveK; 02-23-2018 at 02:15 PM. Reason: typo

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I only have a handfull of that caliber, but are you aware that you can simply resize 308 brass in a 7mm-08 die and load them just like that? I heard you don't even need to do any neck turning or anything. I even heard that works for making 260 remington brass too, but once you start using 308 to make 243 brass you do have to start neck turning.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for replying. I just discovered that resizing fact this morning! I lubed up a .308 Win and sized it down to 7mm without a whimper. No annealing either. I'll check the length and neck thickness next.

The part that worries me is keeping the 308 headstamped brass sized to 7mm separate from the real 308 brass. All it take is one lonely brass case stamped 308 WIN in my shop to drive me into crazy-man mode... is this a real 308 or is it really a 7mm? (I discovered this after a remade a few 9mm luger into 9mm kurtz (makarov) and found a few unsorted cases laying on a shelf and dumped them in with a batch of 9mm luger I was reloading. I'm glad I spotted the screw-up before I shot them in the Baretta.

I bought some new Nosler brass on sale (still costing a pretty penny or two) but I'd still like to have a few hundred laying around.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    You're welcome. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think a 308 will chamber in a 7mm-08 gun, but that probably depends a lot on the projectile that's loaded in the 308 case and how deep it's seated, but if you are following published load data for OAL it probably wont chamber in the gun and if you try to shoot 7mm-08 in a 308 gun the accuracy will probably just be really bad, but that's about it. Like I said all this is just a guess so do your own research. If it was me I would just pick a few headstamps to convert and then make note of it. That way you'll know by just looking at the manufacture stamp. An example might be to convert all the federal and winchester 308 brass into 7mm-08, but leave all the other types like remington and lake city in 308 form.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    Thanks for replying. I just discovered that resizing fact this morning! I lubed up a .308 Win and sized it down to 7mm without a whimper. No annealing either. I'll check the length and neck thickness next.

The part that worries me is keeping the 308 headstamped brass sized to 7mm separate from the real 308 brass. All it take is one lonely brass case stamped 308 WIN in my shop to drive me into crazy-man mode... is this a real 308 or is it really a 7mm? (I discovered this after a remade a few 9mm luger into 9mm kurtz (makarov) and found a few unsorted cases laying on a shelf and dumped them in with a batch of 9mm luger I was reloading. I'm glad I spotted the screw-up before I shot them in the Baretta.

I bought some new Nosler brass on sale (still costing a pretty penny or two) but I'd still like to have a few hundred laying around.