Thread: An Observation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    37 (100%)

An Observation

OK, from another board I got a deal for 185 pieces of 8mm Mauser brass (8X57). As I do for all my brass from sources other than myself I put them through the wet rotary wash, dried them out, Sized them, checked to see if they needed any trimming, and chamfered them inside and out. Four of them were FC, none needed trimming. 19 were R-P, one of them needed minor trimming. Every other one was PPU, and there wasn't one of them that DIDN'T need trimming, many needed some major trimming.

Makes me wonder about either their manufacturing, or how well their brass holds out against stretching. Will need to monitor this, see how many times I can reload it and how many times I need to trim it.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I've noticed the same thing with PPU 7.62x39 brass. I think they just come from the factory long.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Have you put them on the scale to see which ones have more metal in them?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    If they were all fired from the same rifle-then it may be a concern. I separate rifles by headstamp, when possible. Could that be the issue? PPU (nny) is good brass.
    Last edited by LEP; 03-06-2017 at 04:29 PM.
    Load and shoot: 6.5mm (Dutch, Jap., Carcano, Swede), 7x57, 7.35 Carcano, 7.5mm (Mas, Swiss), 303 British, 7.65x53, 7.7 Jap, 7.62x51, 30-06, 8x50R & 8x52R Siamese, 30-40 Krag, 8x57, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, 8x 56R, 30 Carbine, 450/577 Martini, 300 Win Mag, 45 LC.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Got them from a swap from anther board, can't find the history. Guy says he picked them up at a range and he did not shoot them.