Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any experience with 400 corbon?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I haven't spent a whole lot of time looking into it, but.............
    The 400 CorBon is a lot like the 357 Sig.

It's a necked down case to take the next smaller bullet size. The 357 Sig is a 40 caliber case, necked down to take a 9mm bullet. And, the 400 CorBon is a 45 caliber case, necked down to take a .40 bullet.

Unfortunately, you cannot use a .40 S&W case, and just neck it down to make a 357 Sig. And, even dealing with a 10mm case doesn't get the final dimensions right.

The same is likely true for the 400 CorBon. I doubt that the reduced neck on a 45 ACP case will result in a true dimensioned 400 CorBon, hence your issues with feeding. And, the grip length for the bullet would be wrong, as it was for the attempt to convert .40 S&W to 357 Sig.

My edition of Book of Conversions predates the development of the 400 CorBon. However, Wiki suggests that some trimming is required: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.400_Cor-Bon

I love my Sig P229 in 357 Sig, and have enough brass to serve me a lifetime. I don't see much 400 Cor-Bon brass out there. So, good luck with your project.

Administrator - Ammo Brass Trader
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeInFlorida View Post
    I haven't spent a whole lot of time looking into it, but.............
    The 400 CorBon is a lot like the 357 Sig.

It's a necked down case to take the next smaller bullet size. The 357 Sig is a 40 caliber case, necked down to take a 9mm bullet. And, the 400 CorBon is a 45 caliber case, necked down to take a .40 bullet.

Unfortunately, you cannot use a .40 S&W case, and just neck it down to make a 357 Sig. And, even dealing with a 10mm case doesn't get the final dimensions right.

The same is likely true for the 400 CorBon. I doubt that the reduced neck on a 45 ACP case will result in a true dimensioned 400 CorBon, hence your issues with feeding. And, the grip length for the bullet would be wrong, as it was for the attempt to convert .40 S&W to 357 Sig.

My edition of Book of Conversions predates the development of the 400 CorBon. However, Wiki suggests that some trimming is required: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.400_Cor-Bon

I love my Sig P229 in 357 Sig, and have enough brass to serve me a lifetime. I don't see much 400 Cor-Bon brass out there. So, good luck with your project.
    Actually yes you can convert 45 acp brass into 400 corbon with just using a cheap lee 400 corbon sizing die. That's one reason why it's called the poor man's 10mm. The other difference compared to 40 S&W and 357 sig is that 357 sig is high pressure, but 400 corbon is almost 10mm power, but still low pressure so the gun wont wear out and the brass will still last a while. The power is about half way between 40 S&W and 10mm. So it could be called a hot 40 S&W or a weak 10mm. Either way I think it's kinda cool if you have a 1911 and a bunch of 45 acp brass because all you need is a 400 corbon barrel and a cheap Lee die set. There's other 45 acp guns you can get the conversion barrel for too. 45 acp brass is 1000 times easier to find for free at local shooting ranges than 10mm. I have probably three full 5 gal buckets of 45 acp brass, but only a few handfulls of 10mm brass. I have a commander sized 1911, but all the 400 corbon conversion barrels I've seen are only for the 5 inch govt. versions. I'm liking that new 5 inch Ruger SR1911 Target version that just came out a few weeks ago. If I ever get one of those I'll get the 400 corbon barrel for it, but doing the conversion on a glock is easier than a 1911 so maybe I'll do that instead. Here's that new Ruger 1911
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eqXNthKeOQ

Ruger-SR1911-Target.jpg
    Last edited by SafetyJoe; 01-30-2017 at 02:59 AM.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    I consider a .400 Cor-Bon a .40 S&W on steroids. But I also consider a 357 SIG as a 9mm on steroids.
    But once I got my first 10mm after my .400 Cor-Bon fail, I was very happy. As a matter of fact, I now own 3 10mm pistols, and a Mechtech CCU to make one of them a carbine.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Yeah, after careful consideration, I'm relatively certain I'll just go with a 44mag instead... I've always wanted a revolver

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    I just bought a Ruger Redhawk .44 mag revolver, and am waiting delivery on it. If I like it too much I may sell my Ruger Superblackhawk. Would much prefer a DA over an SA.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gandog56 View Post
    I just bought a Ruger Redhawk .44 mag revolver, and am waiting delivery on it. If I like it too much I may sell my Ruger Superblackhawk. Would much prefer a DA over an SA.
    My budget doesn't allow for a bird or a snake, so I'm going to have to go with a Taurus.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    My Taurus's are both a .357 Mag, and a .454 Casull. Oh wait, also have a Taurus 1911.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    i kicked around the 400 cor bon idea for my glock 21, ive seen a few barrels for it around and at one of our larger gunshows, a guy has 3 boxes of loaded ammo hes been lugging around to the last few shows. but then again, the 50 GI is just calling my name

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Like I said, tried them, and decided to just go with a 10mm instead.