Thread: is someone faking lake city 556 cases?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

is someone faking lake city 556 cases?

I stopped by the range today and picked up some brass, in it there was 556 LC 15 cases, they have the same color primer sealer(purple) and are annealed at the necks, but don't have the NATO cross and a different font plus the obvious "5.56" stamp. is china making counterfit lake city cases like they did for the 30 carbine ones dated 1952 and 1953? the "suspect one" is on the left while the right is the real deal with same stamping they been using for years
    lc fake case.jpg

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    More than likely.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    When I read your title, I immediately thought of the fake LC .30 Carbine brass, which you mentioned in your post. Those fakes were berdan primed. How is that “LC 5.56" primed? Even if it boxer primed, it still looks fake to me since I never see caliber designations on modern US military brass.

Ed

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    how do they chamber?
    extract?
    and if they all go "bang"
    then all should be good. and if the price point is a third of the real deal. ok by me.
    but the box should say MADE IN CHINA.

not into head stamps, but are they a registered deal. like a book or music?
    can another company do the same lettering (pending there co name), as long as something shows they are not "lake city",
    as in the caliber/loading ver just a proof mark? even if both have "lc" on them?

i know your just range pick up. but just my questions.

but it is a very bad deal with all the fake stuff (not just ammo) coming out of communist china.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    ED,
    its boxer primed

pack,
    the headstamp info is a requirement by the US government, as they are made under a Government contract in a government owned facility and the crosshair in a circle is a stamp meaning it is loaded to NATO spec, as long as Lake city has been in operation, they never had a caliber stamped on them, that's what caught my eye right away. ive had many 1000's of those cases in my hands, and another thing I noticed is the annealing marks on necks aren't consistant (some are barely past shoulder and some almost 1/3 way down case), which is hard to believe if it were real ammo with the high quality standards required. ill stop by the range after work tomorrow and see if there are any of the boxes in the trash and get some pics of them

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    so head stamps are not in any agreement world wide thing? just here in the USA.
    if all else is a good to go then just seeing the cal stamped would say not lake city. could the "lc" be a proof mark for a chinese factory? they do like to copy us here in the "free" world. and then say it is there thoughts, blood, sweat, that have been stolen.
    i will start looking into the stamps on my .223/5.56 pick up brass. but will be a week before i can even think about it. (surgery in the am).

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by packnrat View Post
    (surgery in the am)
    Godspeed to you and a swift recovery.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    home now, just need to get my mom to stop talking to me, hurts my thought.
    but all is looking good. no problems...yet. with luck will be none.
    only set off the bed alarm once while in the hospital. (labeled as a fall hazarded).

now three months off work, hopeing disability money gets here before the bills do. and will be enough.
    but the () union wants my blood for me just working two days this month. that $95.usd can pay a bill, buy some food, etc.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    luckily my union dues are only $40 a month...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    got 2-1/2 gallons of .223 in the dirty corn cob cleaner. will be checking them next couple days.
    but tonight tuesday. will be deprimeing even more of the stuff. so have plenty to look at for fakes.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    did some web searching and found out the headstamp in question is part of a contract over run made for Saudi Arabia and its not NATO stamped since they were to be the end user

http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18583
    http://www.sgammo.com/product/223-55...ity-2015-zsam8