Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surprise, Surprise

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)

Surprise, Surprise

I went to the range yesterday. I had just bought all a guy's ammo for his Mosin Nagant because he sold it, so I was using it up. I put in what I thought was a soft point bullet in my Finn P27, and shot it at a hanging steel plate. Imagaine my surprise when it hit the plate I saw a flash of light and a big puff of white smoke. What I thought was a lead exposed soft point tip was actually a black painted AP tip. Went out to the steel plate, yeah, there was a big old crater in the steel! Put that ammo away quick, AP, tracer, and incendary not allowed at my range. Fortunately it was like at 2PM on a Monday and there were not a lot of people there.

Oops!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I took my daughter and her BF (both visiting me in FL from New York) to the range the other day, and also shot my Mosin Nagant 91-30, but with my own reloads! No surprises there.

My daughter works with a guy who doesn't own any guns (tough to have them in NY), but is a history buff. He was asking my daughter to send him a shooting report, etc. So, we shot tons of rounds though my 91-30 which last saw service guarding the Berlin Wall. And, my daughter did amazingly well, considering the open sights and all. We attached the bayonet, and took a bunch of pictures of her holding the gun, and the resultant target in the background. She was dressed like Natasha (Rocky and Bullwinkle version), so she looked the part.

boris_and_natasha_cosplay_by_alphacentaurian.jpg

Administrator - Ammo Brass Trader
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    I don't have a daughter, so I took my niece. And my nephew from my other brother.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    i do not have any rug-rats. can somebody loan me a couple for range clean up ;-)

my knees are getting older than i am so even with the reach tongs it takes time.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    My knees have both been replaced, and sometimes when I get back from the range they really ache from bending over and picking up them empties.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I had back surgery a few years back, and for some reason, ever since then I get light headed when I stand up from being crouched. So I have to take my time collecting brass, otherwise I'll be able to pick it up while laying on the ground when I wake up

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Get one of those dog pooper scoopers from Wally world
    Load and shoot: 6.5mm (Dutch, Jap., Carcano, Swede), 7x57, 7.35 Carcano, 7.5mm (Mas, Swiss), 303 British, 7.65x53, 7.7 Jap, 7.62x51, 30-06, 8x50R & 8x52R Siamese, 30-40 Krag, 8x57, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, 8x 56R, 30 Carbine, 450/577 Martini, 300 Win Mag, 45 LC.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LEP View Post
    Not a bad idea!

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LEP View Post
    I use one for the yard, that's not a mix-up I want to take a chance of making

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Getting old, when I spend a long time scooping, I AM pooped!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    i use those reach tongs with the rubber cup tips. can grab two empty's at a time.
    no bending required.
    that is till my hands give out squeezing the grip. but a gold. er. a... brass mine is a brass mine.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    I love it when I go to my range sometimes and I am the only one there. I do some serious brass scrounging then.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I got to the range one day and caught the range officer scrounging... Guy can barely see or walk, but he was out there with his grabbers...

A kind suggestion to the older folk, let us "younger" guys have a go at scrounging every now and then

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Y'all just need to getya one of them new fangle brass magnets.......
    ------------------------------------------------
    Ineptocracy (in-ept-oc-ra-cy).....
    A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I went to the local indoor range last week and made a pretty good haul, nothing exotic, but a bunch of 223, 40, 45acp, and 9mm. Nobody wanted their brass, so I helped them clean it up... Right into my range bag

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbaker78 View Post
    I went to the local indoor range last week and made a pretty good haul, nothing exotic, but a bunch of 223, 40, 45acp, and 9mm. Nobody wanted their brass, so I helped them clean it up... Right into my range bag
    Some ranges that is against the rules.....

..........................I do not go to those ranges!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I see Dillon reloading has a cage roller thing to pick up brass, might work better than a scooper for you

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    I tried one of them roller things, they are pretty much hit and mis. May have to run it over the cases 3-4 times to get it picked up.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I recently bought one them, the brass wizard, to use at my outdoor range. Pistol bays have long astroturf style carpet. Brasswizard doesnt grab deep down. May try and use a small rake to get the stuff up towards the top.

Feedback Score
    I'm glad that I have 5 grandkids that like there papa and willing to do his dirty work. There is ice cream and cookies (Grandma made) involved.
    Phil