Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 LastLast

Thread: So, What You Doing On The Bench Today?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Took our 9 year old grandson to the range today and unloaded some 45 acp, 308 win and a ton of 22 lr. He called my rifle a sniper rifle, LOL.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Back pain is no fun at all... I had a severely herniated L4/5 Disk that I had to have surgery on a few years back. Much better now, and I’m trying to be more responsible about what I do to my back... I hope everything comes out as favorable as can be expected for you.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gandog56 View Post
    Me too, but I have not been well. I have bad pain running up my thigh into my butt on the right side. And MRI showed a mass pressing on my spine on the L4 vertebrae. And with my history of three prior cancers that ain't good. I have a lot of tests and stuff coming up, bone scans, biopsies, appointment to make with a neurosurgeon. But cie la vie. I finished up reboxing all my .44 and .45 Colt reloads. I have maybe 12 boxes to start on my .45 ACP, .40 Cal S&W, and 357 SIG, but will need a LOT more.
    Wishing you Luck and hoping for the best! I know that when you back is out of whack nothing feels good.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Took a little break from the loading room to work on my Dove Hunting place last week. After while I'll finish sizing those 38 Supers that I came into. Its about too hot to shoot or cast. May as well do something in the loading room.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Started on transferring all my .45 ACP reloads from cardboard Ammo boxes to Plastic ones. Got in three big ammo boxes, going to take all my spamcan 7.62X54, get them out of the metal tins and paper wrapping, and put them in a couple. I also have way too many .270 reloads so I will probably load them in the third.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Started on transferring all my .45 ACP reloads from cardboard Ammo boxes to Plastic ones. Got in three big ammo boxes, going to take all my spamcan 7.62X54, get them out of the metal tins and paper wrapping, and put them in a couple. I also have way too many .270 reloads so I will probably load them in the third.
    What brand plastic boxes did you choose. I like MTM and have a bunch but wow, I'd hate to have to buy them all at once!

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I live about 25 minutes from MTM, still have yet to go there and see if I can get them cheaper than through a retailer.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Let me know if you do and can, I need a WHOLE bunch of 100 round .45 ACP/40 Cal/10mm boxes. And I like MTM boxes, especially the black ones with the florescent green tops.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I have about 12 of them in that size and in various colors that need filled back up. I just lack the components and time to do so right now. They’re actually the only boxes I buy.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Just set up a meet for a guy for Sunday. He bought all the stuff to reload, but then decided, nyah, I don't want to do it. For $325 I am getting a RCBS Turret press and RCBS Powder dispenser still in the box, never been opened, an 8 pound jug of Ramshot True Blue never been opened. And all kinds of empty brass cases he had saved up, I don't even know What calibers except 5.7X28, .308, 5.56 and .45 ACP, the 5.7 I do not reload. So look at my trades after this weekend to see what I want to dump.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I’m debating changing my 308 over to 300WSM, anyone else have one that can give some feedback on what to expect?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Finding brass for the oddball chamberings is always my own deterrent for such a move.
    A young friend , who happens to own a reloading supply shop (and thought he would have no issues with brass) just sold his 22 Nosler (at a significant loss) because the brass was expensive to buy, and virtually un-available at the range as once fired brass. Also, the selection of bullets to be used in the chambering was very limited. And, as he found out, there was virtually NO ADVANTAGE to going in that direction. He was on a mission to make 22 caliber bullets more accurate at staggering speeds.
    There are lots of examples of WILDCATS that have been tried, some even making it to commercial production. Seldom do they succeed.
    Of course, everyone has the God given right to pursue their dreams, whatever they may be. Good luck if you give the 300 WSM a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Mbaker78 View Post
    I’m debating changing my 308 over to 300WSM, anyone else have one that can give some feedback on what to expect?

Administrator - Ammo Brass Trader
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Just got finished hooking up with the guy who bought all the stuff to reload for his .300 AAC Blackout. Suddenly wife informs he she was pregnant, so he decided the timing was wrong, and he decided to sell it all off. For $325, I got a new RCBS Turret press, an RCBS Uniflow powder measure, 2 plastic jugs of various shot brass he had picked up, and an unopened 8 pound jug of Ramshot True Blue Powder. I will have to move things around on my bench to mount this second press. The ONLY presses I have ever used before were Lee. Going to be interesting to see the differences. Right now I am headed out to my reloading shed to sort through the empties, decap them, and start cleaning them.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Just got finished hooking up with the guy who bought all the stuff to reload for his .300 AAC Blackout. Suddenly wife informs he she was pregnant, so he decided the timing was wrong, and he decided to sell it all off. For $325, I got a new RCBS Turret press, an RCBS Uniflow powder measure, 2 plastic jugs of various shot brass he had picked up, and an unopened 8 pound jug of Ramshot True Blue Powder. I will have to move things around on my bench to mount this second press. The ONLY presses I have ever used before were Lee. Going to be interesting to see the differences. Right now I am headed out to my reloading shed to sort through the empties, decap them, and start cleaning them. Spent 3 hors sorting and started to deprime brass. Put a load of .308 WIN and .300 AAC Blackout cases in the wet rotary. Decapped stuff till all I had left was a BIG jug of 5.56. Started to try to decap some 5.7X28, but I don
    t have a shellholder small enough to retain them in the press. Tried to start punching them out by hand because I have some spare pins from my Universal decapping die. That got old real fast. Since I don't reload them anyways, I'm just going to clean them in corncob instead of the wet rotary.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    tarted to try to decap some 5.7X28, but I don't have a shellholder small enough to retain them in the press. Tried to start punching them out by hand because I have some spare pins from my Universal decapping die. That got old real fast. Since I don't reload them anyways, I'm just going to clean them in corncob instead of the wet rotary.
    I have decapped 5.7 X 28 before and used the same shell holder used for .25 ACP, if you happen to have one of those. Of course, if you did have one you probably would have tried it already.

I haven't done anything reloading related latetly, nor will I anytime soon, as Uncle Sam has sent me on an all expense paid "vacation" to the desert. Hopefully, my comment above will count as "doing something reloaoding related."

Ed

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    (sad face here)

Please don't decap the 5.7's. I use them, with the spent primers still in, as donor jackets for 30 caliber bullets. Willing to trade for them. Also, please don't bother cleaning/tumbling the 5.7's. They have, if you don't know, a special plastic coating on them which gets damaged when you tumble them.

My process for making the bullet jackets includes annealing them to burn off the plastic coating, SS pin tumbling to get them clean, and running them through a few steps. I'm making 150 grain and 168 grain 30 cal bullets. So, please don't ruin the 5.7's by decapping or cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by WarEagleEd View Post
    I have decapped 5.7 X 28 before and used the same shell holder used for .25 ACP, if you happen to have one of those. Of course, if you did have one you probably would have tried it already.

I haven't done anything reloading related latetly, nor will I anytime soon, as Uncle Sam has sent me on an all expense paid "vacation" to the desert. Hopefully, my comment above will count as "doing something reloaoding related."

Ed

Administrator - Ammo Brass Trader
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I think 22 Nosler was kind of a fart in the breeze, all the “cool kids” are going toward 224 Valkyrie.

I don’t think brass would be a huge problem for 300wsm because it’s for a bolt action and I wouldn’t be losing it to ejection or overworking because I could neck size. I could buy 100 rounds or so of loaded ammo and maybe another 100 pieces of brass and be set for a while. Bullets are rather standard 30 cal. The initial buy in would kind of suck, but still be cheaper than 338 lapua

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeInFlorida View Post
    So, please don't ruin the 5.7's by decapping or cleaning.
    I have traded them to people who had no complaints regarding missing primers.

Ed

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I think 22 Nosler was kind of a fart in the breeze, all the “cool kids” are going toward 224 Valkyrie.

I don’t think brass would be a huge problem for 300wsm because it’s for a bolt action and I wouldn’t be losing it to ejection or overworking because I could neck size. I could buy 100 rounds or so of loaded ammo and maybe another 100 pieces of brass and be set for a while. Bullets are rather standard 30 cal. The initial buy in would kind of suck, but still be cheaper than 338 lapua
    The 300 WSM may be the one WSM that survives. I have not had a hard time finding brass for mine. I even find it at the range occasionally.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I base all my caliber choices on the availability of brass. That's why I feel if I need more power than 308 I'll just get something in 35 whelen because I can convert common 30-06 brass for it. If I wanted something flatter shooting I would go with 7mm-08 or 260 remington because I could convert common 308 brass for those.
    Last edited by SafetyJoe; 07-24-2018 at 09:48 AM.