Page 36 of 46 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: So, What You Doing On The Bench Today?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    mbaker,
    i ran them for 6 hours because they were so badly tarnished, they were black and ive run them in regular media and they didnt take any of the black off

i built a yellowjacket 9mm stengun mag lower for my olympic upper

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I don’t really want to build a dedicated lower. I’d like to be able to readily convert an existing lower back and forth with a buffer swap and install/removing the mag block.

The hahn bottom load is looking like the one I’ll likely go with if I do build one. I’d like to keep the last round bolt hold open if possible.
    Last edited by Mbaker78; 01-07-2018 at 10:50 AM.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Well, the Holidays are over and the last of the visiting duck hunters are leaving today. At least for a week! So I'm back to processing pistol brass. Put the first load in the tumbler an hour ago. What with the 38's, 357's, 40's and 45's I'll be a month, but its too cold to do anything else.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rodnocker1 View Post
    [L]ike I needed another caliber to reload for, lol.
    I have said this myself a few times.

Today, I purchased a Lortone 33B tumbler from good 'ol eBay. It has two, three-pound barrels like my HF tumbler. Nice thing about the Lortone is that I can get parts for it should something break. Once it comes in I will be able to resume tumbling my .45 ACP stash. Of course, while I was looking around eBay I came across military surplus entrenching tools at a decent price. It was one of those "Buy-it-nows" where you could also make an offer. I did. Seller accepted. I saved about $2.50 each on two. Now, I'll have one for the truck and one for the car.
    Last edited by WarEagleEd; 01-02-2018 at 08:39 PM.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Got a new brasscatcher for my TNW 10mm carbine, Figured the base, which is a tiny small thing, will fit on any picatinney rail. Emailed the company and asked them if I could buy just the base, because I have two other rifles I think will work with the thing. They sent me to a page on Midway USA, which sold them. Just got the two bases in and need to hook them all up to the other two rifles so I'll have one bag that will catch 10mm, 300 AAC, and .223/5.56 brass. No more chasing it all down at the range! Got a new LONG 1 piece cleaning rod. My old one won't really go all the way through in some of my old Mosin Nagant rifles. Got 4 boxes of copper jacketed .22 mag cartridges in.The jug I had in my shed to fill my wet rotary tumbler was leaky, so I replaced the jug. Cold cold snap down here. Glad I got the old space heater running in my shed.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I found a handful of the bases in the bargain cave at cabelas for $8, I would’ve gotten them had I not just gotten a couple from amazon for $12 each
    Last edited by Mbaker78; 01-03-2018 at 07:05 PM.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    i have a mag adapter for the sten mags that worked pretty good till i got the yellow jacket lower finished , but its for an olympic pattern upper, it doesnt have the extractor on it, the mag catch holds it in and theres a tab out the back to release the sten mags. i dont need to swap lowers, i dont have a shortage, LOL they breed like rabbits

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I’m hoping to use it on my SBR lower with a 10-12” barrel. I don’t feel like making a pistol lower at this time. I guess I could go with a 16” barrel :/

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Moving lead and smelting stuff around in the shop, getting ready to start processing the 30+ buckets of wheel weights that are sitting in the floor in front of my work table. Probably going to fire it up after lunch and start melting some solder and maybe some of the odd stuff. Its going to be cold tomorrow but the cabin fever is getting bad!

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Probably going to fire it up after lunch and start melting some solder and maybe some of the odd stuff. Its going to be cold tomorrow but the cabin fever is getting bad!
    Which is why there is a space heater in my reloading shed!

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I used the Lortone 33B tumbler for the first time today. I used it to tumble some .45 ACP military headstamp brass. It did a good job, getting them clean as expected. Yesterday, I cleaned a couple of guns I took to the range about two weeks ago. I would have cleaned them before now but I've been sick with a sinus infection. Better late then never, I guess.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Samo samo, still processing pistol brass. Resizing and tumbling 500 at a time, taking breaks while the tumbler is running to play on the computer. I think I'm at the bottom of the 40's! Yahoo!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Finished sorting by head stamp all the cleaned and deprimed 14,025 pieces of 45 acp LPP brass I have for trading. Here's the setup I used.

https://imgur.com/a/5gRpc

Last edited by SafetyJoe; 01-17-2018 at 07:35 PM.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Nice set up! I use a similar method except that I stack them in ammo trays. That lets me keep a running count. When the tray gets full I make a note then dump them in hospital bowels. I don't have near your volume. If I was in business I would consider buying a digital scale that counts.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I don't count them. I just weigh them to determine the number. For 45 acp there's 12.8 lbs per 1000.

Nice set up! I use a similar method except that I stack them in ammo trays. That lets me keep a running count. When the tray gets full I make a note then dump them in hospital bowels. I don't have near your volume. If I was in business I would consider buying a digital scale that counts.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The weather warmed up some and I'm taking a break from processing pistol brass to melt lead. I have around 5600# of sorted wheel weights to melt. Hopefully by spring I'll have lead ready to cast and brass ready to load. Thats the plan anyway!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I cast my own lead bullets too, but gave up on sorting wheel weights. I just throw everything in the cast iron pot and skim off the ones that don't melt which will be the steel and zinc ones. I know the zinc ones can melt if the temp gets high enough, but I process the lead ingots fast enough and that's never happened yet.

The weather warmed up some and I'm taking a break from processing pistol brass to melt lead. I have around 5600# of sorted wheel weights to melt. Hopefully by spring I'll have lead ready to cast and brass ready to load. Thats the plan anyway!

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Started smelting the 30+ buckets of wheel weights yesterday. Kind of got off to a slow start. I welded some wind screens on my burner and I went too far. They chocked off too much air and with that and the 30º temps it took a while to get molten lead. My melt times went from 20 minutes or so to over an hour. The first batch netted 357 1# ingots of stick on weights and the 2nd batch netted over 250 ingots from clip on weights.

First thing today I'll cut a bunch of vents in the wind screen and start another pot. The pot holds between 350 and 400# of lead.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Well, cutting up the wind screens really helped. We did 3 batches today, about 1050#. It was still a little slow because we had a couple of odd batches that was slower than normal to melt. A few 40 and 50 pound chunks and a bunch of odd shaped stuff that did not make good contact with the sides of the pot. The last batch was about an hour from cold pot to empty pot and netted 342 1# ingots. All thats left now is clip on weights. Hoping to get back on it around the end of the week.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    That’s a lot of lead...