Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: So, What You Doing On The Bench Today?

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 62chevy View Post
    That's why I got the signal blue, it's not only more accurate but gives a signal just before leaving the barrel.
    Hmmm, I call them code blues.

Cause if you get hit by one....
    Code Blue" is generally used to indicate a patient requiring resuscitation or in need of immediate medical attention
    Last edited by gandog56; 09-05-2015 at 05:00 AM.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I meant the lighter blue RFN as opposed to the darker blue TC. Did you powder coat them or buy them that way?

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Nah nah nah, I'm MUCH too lazy to do it myself, and I don't cast.

Finished up processing all the 7.62X54R, .380 ACP, .38 special, .357 magnum, .454 Casull, 357 SIG , and .45 Colt from my last range trip. Completely ready for reloading.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Care to share your source for those 40/10mm?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    DSC00661.jpg

DSC00676.jpg

I cast and PC my own boolits.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I've been thinking about getting into casting, and reading a bit about painting and powder coating. Do you gas check the rifle bullets?

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Well, way back when ebay sold once fired cases, I found a seller that was getting a lot of 10mm from a police practice range. After that on another board I got into a group buy for 500 new Starline nickel plated 10mm cases. 40 cal is always easy to find at the range and pick up for free, I have never bought any brass for it. I use the exact same 185 grain Precision Bullets for both calibers.

I also got lucky and bought out somebody's Lapua cases for 7.62X54R. And for a while I had a Lapua distributor selling them for $30/100, and I snarfed up about 600 cases. I loves to find deals on cases.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gandog56 View Post
    Well, way back when ebay sold once fired cases, I found a seller that was getting a lot of 10mm from a police practice range. After that on another board I got into a group buy for 500 new Starline nickel plated 10mm cases. 40 cal is always easy to find at the range and pick up for free, I have never bought any brass for it. I use the exact same 185 grain Precision Bullets for both calibers.

I also got lucky and bought out somebody's Lapua cases for 7.62X54R. And for a while I had a Lapua distributor selling them for $30/100, and I snarfed up about 600 cases. I loves to find deals on cases.
    Sorry, guess I should've been more specific... I was referring to the PC'd bullets...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbaker78 View Post
    I've been thinking about getting into casting, and reading a bit about painting and powder coating. Do you gas check the rifle bullets?
    Think of Powder Coating as another way to lube your lead boolits. Fit still matter as well as gas checks. That said you may be able to go faster before using gas checks and hardness does not matter as much as it used to with standard lubes.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    All I have to do with my last batch of processed brass is separate the .40 cal and 10mm cases by headstamp. They sure do look purdy.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I just chopped down ~1100 223/5.56 for 300aac last night. They'll go in the wet tumbler (without media) for a prewash and to remove any burrs today after work. Let em dry for a day or so and then I start trimming and sizing...

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    You do seem to like that caliber!

But why no media?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Mbaker78,
    would you enlighten me on your process of cutting the 223 casings down?
    I also like my 300aac, but use my HF mini cut off saw to cut the shoulders then form them in the die...it just seemsto be a tedious process!

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gandog56 View Post
    You do seem to like that caliber!

But why no media?
    It's easier to just rinse the brass off, I mainly just want to get rid of any brass dust and shavings from cutting. I'll run a proper batch with media after they've been sized and trimmed to spec.

Quote Originally Posted by landcruzr View Post
    Mbaker78,
    would you enlighten me on your process of cutting the 223 casings down?
    I also like my 300aac, but use my HF mini cut off saw to cut the shoulders then form them in the die...it just seemsto be a tedious process!
    I use the same process, just crank the music up and chop away. Up until I started wet tumbling, the worst part was the chamfer/deburr... It seems I can skip that step when wet tumbling
    Last edited by Mbaker78; 09-09-2015 at 04:59 PM.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    [QUOTEI use the same process, just crank the music up and chop away. Up until I started wet tumbling, the worst part was the chamfer/deburr... It seems I can skip that step when wet tumbling [/QUOTE]

So you use the wet tumble with steel and it takes most of the edge off?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by landcruzr View Post
    [QUOTEI use the same process, just crank the music up and chop away. Up until I started wet tumbling, the worst part was the chamfer/deburr... It seems I can skip that step when wet tumbling
    So you use the wet tumble with steel and it takes most of the edge off?[/QUOTE]

What it does is remove a lot of the loose brass that is still hanging on after it gets cut. I've done around 750K doing it that way and it really helps keep loose brass out of the dies. Not to mention forming goes a bit easier with real clean cases.

Most guys that form the 300BO use an electric trimmer that mounts on a special die. Dillon came out with a newer beefier version of there older trimmer. I've never used the newer trimmer just the older version and it helps when it only has to trim just a few thousanths off the case....

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I'd like to have a rapid trim, but the volume I do leaves it's price point out of my range... I'll have to stick with my Lyman trimmer with power drill adapter...

Though I can still crank about 100 in 45 minutes (the length of a TV show on Netflix) between sizing and trimming.
    Last edited by Mbaker78; 09-11-2015 at 02:51 AM.

Feedback Score
    I loaded my First 45 colt rounds today.
    First time with this cal. So looking for that perfect load..
    45Colt.jpg

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Those look like 230gr Speer lead round nose... I have a box that are destined to be run through my 1911

Feedback Score
    Your Correct....
    My Cimarron OutLaw has a .450 Bore so I can Load .452 Boolits......