Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: So, What You Doing On The Bench Today?

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Had 12 6 round moon clips for my new 10mm revolver, so I made 72 rounds of some pretty stiff 10mm loads and filled them all.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Finished loading the box of 230gr Xtreme HP bullets (roughly 300), then switched the press over to blackout and loaded up 90 rounds of 240gr subs. I think tonight I’ll load up some 458 socom and see if I can get some of the bugs worked out on that upper.

I’m planning a range trip next week, should be decent weather, maybe my new scope will be in before then.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    I have about 5 guns that need to be sited in, including the new Ruger. Just can't seem to find the time. Between doctor visits of mine, taking my mom to hers, and an attack of sciatica, I just can't seem to get out to the range.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Today was the first real range trip I’ve had this year... I burned through a lot of ammo...

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    Went to the range and burned up a bunch of 10mm and 223 and spent yesterday loading 300 223 75 grain bullets. Today is 10mm for loading between visits to the hospital.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    Loaded 200 10mm today. The primer stud on the 550 broke so I guess I will be loading 300 blackout for the rest of the day. I called Dillon and they are sending the part plus a couple of extras. I can't complain the machine has been working for the last 18 years.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I love my 550. It's not the fastest but it works well for me.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Got a PID controller for my RCBS Pro Melt casting pot. Running it through it's "auto tune" function, whereby it checks to see what kind of amperage it needs to most accurately control the Pro Melt. It does that by bringing the pot up to it's set temperature, and then down to room temperature, THREE TIMES! Glad I only had the pot half full of alloy. The heating portion goes fast, and is quite accurate. However, the cooling down part if painfully slow. Wish this was winter here in Florida, instead of SUMMER. I have a small fan blowing on the pot to assist with the cooling rate. The room is up to 92 degrees. Wowser. And, I still have another whole cycle to get through.

When the controller gets tuned to the pot, I'll be able to start an Excel spreadsheet, by mold, and document the exact proper operating temperature. By setting that on the controller for each mold, I should be able to eliminate the trial and error setup every time I run alloy through a different mold. Been drooling forever to get one of these, and this one is an excellent one. I got it in a Group Buy at our sister forum, CastBoolits.gunloads.com. The price was right, and the quality of the workmanship is par none.

If you find yourself needing/wanting a PID controller for your casting pot, contact HATCH at CastBoolits:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...TCH-Automation

Administrator - Ammo Brass Trader
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Not just today, but this week I resized about 700 223/5.56 cases, swaged the primer pockets and trimmed them. Today they are getting tumbled and hopefully tomorrow I will load them.

Just about every week, sometimes every day, I'm going thru my brass stash and depriming, sorting and tumbling cases. This batch of 223's is for a Prairie Dog shoot!

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    I am still waiting to get over another aspiration pneumonia that I picked up...AGAIN! I almost feel like I can make it to the range and not cough my lungs out, but I still have no energy to like walk out and post some targets. Dang it, I have a new 10mm revolver for 3 weeks now, and I STILL haven't even fired it! I have like 3 pistols with scopes I need to zero in. All my reloading is all caught up, I need to make me a BIG old pile of empties to process.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Sorry to hear that you are under the weather. Hope you get back on your feet soon and to the range.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    The brass fairy made a visit to me today. I was cleaning out my car trunk and I came across a bag of 100 PRVI Partizan .303 Brit cases. I have NO idea why they were there or where they came from. Anyways I decapped them all and threw them in the wet rotary tumbler. They are cleaning up now.

I was thinking I may feel good enough to finally get my butt to the range, when I looked at the weather prediction. Heavy thunderstorms tomorrow, Wed., Thurs. Fri. and Saturday. Ya win some, ya lose some.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    Cappie, you are getting old and forgetful!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Happyguy View Post
    Cappie, you are getting old and forgetful!
    Happens to the best of us. =(

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    At least I REACHED old to get to forgetful!

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Continuing to swap out my cardboard boxes of reloads to plastic cases. Wideners just had a sale on plastic cases so I just got of box of new ones in. Continuing to final process my mystery .303 Brit cases by trimming them all to length, and chamfering inside and out.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Spent the last three days making an Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet for all my reloading. Got tired of trying to remember which manual had what recipe with this weight projectile and this powder. Finished up the rifle, and got to 10mm on pistol. It's been a LONG time since I created a data base and it's taking me way longer than it should. I should finish it all by today. So instead of searching for the manual it will all be in one three ring binder.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    In the very early 1970's, when I first started reloading, I had all sorts of sheets of paper tucked in my reloading books. Was always seemingly losing them.

A few years ago, I dug them all out, and correlated them by dates, and built an Excel spreadsheet for the exact same purpose that you did. I have included formulas for doing standard deviations on velocities for those times when I am seeking specific velocities. Other times, I have lots of comment tags for my load development for rifle cartridges to go with specific rifle barrels. I make new entries every time I reload a cartridge, even if it is a dupe of something I did just a few months earlier. That way, I have documented every single reload session.

I just recently also build a separate spreadsheet for my entire gun collection. As I get older, I am sure it will someday help my family deal with my massive collection, especially military vintage rifles. I have included comments about how I came to own the various guns, modifications (if any) that I have made to them, reload guidance (I do a lot of cast boolits for rifles and pistols) pointing to the excel spreadsheet for that, and advice on what I think the gun is worth (should my kids decide to part company with any of these fine guns. It would also serve to help with any insurance claims or loss of any type. I am adding images of the guns, including closeups of serial numbers. All of this easy to do in an excel spreadsheet.

Also, recently, with my acquisition of a PID controller for my casting pot (as previously reported), I have also built a new Excel spreadsheet for PID controller settings. That is going to save me a ton of time when casting!

I'm happy to hear that you have done the right thing. For those less Excel friendly, you can do the same thing in a three ring binder. Have a tab for every caliber, and start documenting your reload sessions. Tape smaller sheets onto the appropriate areas to add detail to any reload data that requires it.

And, most importantly, refer to your documented reload data when you begin your next reload session. No need to reinvent wheels or make reloading mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by gandog56 View Post
    Spent the last three days making an Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet for all my reloading. Got tired of trying to remember which manual had what recipe with this weight projectile and this powder. Finished up the rifle, and got to 10mm on pistol. It's been a LONG time since I created a data base and it's taking me way longer than it should. I should finish it all by today. So instead of searching for the manual it will all be in one three ring binder.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Spmewhere I downoaded a phone app that is basically a gun DB, It has what gun, what caliber, serial numbers, where bought, final dispositions if they were sold, traded, gifted, stolen, or lost. I haven't started using it yet but it looks kind of cool. Finsished all my Excel data bases. I mean dudes, it's been so long since I made one it was almost learning how to do it again. So I have been continuing swapping out my cardboard boxes of reloads for plastic ones. I still have ammo I made in 2006. (I went a little overboard making my practice .357 magnum .38 special DEWC loads.}
    Last edited by gandog56; 05-30-2018 at 05:26 PM.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    All my "high volume" ammo goes right into ARMY type ammo boxes, BULK. 380 auto, 9mm, 38 Specials, 357 Magnums, 44 Specials, 44 Magnums, 357 Sig, .40 S&W, 45 ACP, 223 Rem (on stripper clips), 300 Blackout (also on stripper clips), etc, etc, etc. . I have dozens of easier to handle BULK boxes of ammo that I can take to the gun range. Nothing more sad than feeding a semi auto, and emptying a 50 box in three mags!

The only stuff that goes into plastic boxes are the specialties: 25 ACP, and all the custom matched ammo that is load developed for specific handguns and rifles.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER