Page 31 of 46 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: So, What You Doing On The Bench Today?

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I tried 10 of them and the OAL was all wrong, they didn't feed worth a crap... I might give them another... shot... once I've loaded up the last of the 240gr cast subs.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Got in a shipment of 50 new PPU 7.5 Swiss brass and 250 coated 250 grain .45 bullets. I never tried coated bullets for .45 Colt before, figured I would give them a shot. (pun intended!) I will make some of both calibers. Also have a follow up doctor visit tomorrow. Figure if he says my pneumonia is all cleared up I will go shooting Friday. Got a new Walther 9mm to try out and want to get in some more BP pistol time. Also want to shoot my last batch of repaired 6.5mm Mauser reloads. (I had some bad brass, had to disassemble a whole bunch of rounds that would not chamber). Pulled all the bullets from the ammo that would not chamber and remade them using other brass that did.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I bought another PACT digital scale, this time with the dispenser, off of another forum. It arrived yesterday, but I didn't have any time to fool with it. This evening I powered up the new-to-me scale and my old one. I wanted to check the two against each to see if they agree. The following are the results that I recorded:

Old Scale New Scale
    New 20 gram check weight 308.5 gr. 308.6 gr.
    Old 20 gram check weight 308.5 gr. 308.5 gr.
    Chrome powder pan 161.7 gr. 161.7 gr.
    Brass tone powder pan 126.4 gr. 126.4 gr.
    Red plastic powder pan 124.2 gr. 124.2 gr.

I'm confident in the precision and accuracy of the new-to-me scale. I would like to weigh some lighter objects to see if they continue to agree or not. I may finally get to charging the 9mm cases I prepped a few months ago. Then it will be on to M1 Garand .30-06 loads.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    After loading up 125 rounds for the Grendel yesterday I was actually thinking about getting an automatic powder dispenser. Throwing low and trickling up to goal weight is pretty time consuming. Are they usually accurate to within 0.1gr? How long do they take to weight out a charge of ~28gr and ~45gr? And is it really worth the extra money, as I only trickle for 2 rifles currently.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    125? That is a coincidence. I just got in 100 125 grain .308" projectiles I am going to try on my .300 AAC next time I reload a bunch. I have been using 110 grain bullets.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    100 for the match, 25 as a test set (123 nosler custom competition, IMR8208XBR, CCI BR-4, hornady brass)

I didn't do horribly at the match either. Out of 4 targets I got best target on one, second place overall for AR class. There were only 4 shooters in AR class, but oh well.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    I had one once. It plugged along for a few years until suddenly it wouldn't zero right. Sadly, I went and invested in a new Hornady Auto load Scale/dispenser. But later I was online, and somebody said they had the very same problem. He said he found a way to force a reset of everything that I didn't know about and never heard before. So I tried it, dang thing started working perfect again. I ended up selling it on ebay to recoup some of the money I had just spent on the Hornady. Kept the Hornady because it dispensed the charges just a little bit faster. But if I knew that little fix, I never would have bought the Hornady. Fortunately I kept the Pact because I was considering sending it to the mfr. to repair it.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I loaded 78 rounds of 9mm this evening. I took the opportunity to try out the PACT digital dispenser and scale. The system worked like it was supposed to (I verified that the guy I bought it from didn't sell me a dud). The setup process was not hard or terribly time-consuming. It was a whole lot less tedious not having to trickle up to the correct powder charge, too. I'm not certain that it was quicker than a traditional powder measure. I will test the two for speed at some other time, this was a trial run to verify functionality of the unit and for me to learn how to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mbaker78 View Post
    Are they usually accurate to within 0.1gr?
    That is what PACT claims. I checked the very first charge and then the other charges it dispensed ever-so-often (maybe 5 or 6 more times) with my Lyman M5 single beam scale and they were dead on all but once. That one time the charge from the PACT unit read slightly high on the M5 scale.

I'll check how it works for heavier charges of powder whenever I am able to load up some M1 .30-06 loads (could be next weekend, could be September, who knows).

Feedback Score
    I have been working on an annealing machine. I have gotten the mechanicals and electronic controls straitened out now I am working on the brass hopper. I still need to work on the the torch holder. I am basically copying some of the designs I have seen on youtube.
    Tony
    NE ATL

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Loaded 50 7.5X55 Swiss with 150 grain FMJBT projectiles. Received 2 boxes of 1000 Winchester large rifle primers. Went in and straightened out my shed some more and replaced more cardboard ammo boxes with hinged plastic ones. Got in a new Hornady 9th edition reloading manual I picked up on sale for $9.99. Got my Ruger Mark IV bottom back from a Ruger recall, with a free magazine because I had to send it in. (They also paid the shipping both ways) Something about they sent out a batch of pistols that the safeties could fail if you fired it standing on your head or something.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Loaded 50 rounds of 6.5X55 (Swedish Mauser). Put a Hornady 129 grain JSP projectile in them with some H4895 powder. Hmmm, first Swiss, then Swede. Maybe I'll make some 7.7 Jap today. I'm all international all of a sudden.
    Last edited by gandog56; 08-01-2017 at 06:46 AM.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Got a new Hornady bullet puller. Tired of always breaking out the impact hammer. Got some Hornady .45 230 grain XTP and some .45 300 Grain XTP. Got some Berry's 124 grain plated HP for my 9mm and .357 SIG

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Just got in 1000 hornady .224" 55gr FMJBT, I have a test batch loaded up for 223 with ramshot TAC and CCI SR primers. Next time I make it to the range I'll see if they're acceptable and load some of them up.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Converted 60 pcs. of 7.5x55 swiss Berdan to boxer. Loaded 10 and went to the range to compare them to GP11 surplus and some of my other boxer reloads.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Point-Man; 08-10-2017 at 03:14 PM.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Point-Man View Post
    Converted 60 pcs. of 7.5x55 swiss Berdan to boxer.
    HOW? I have a buttload of loaded Berdan primed 7.5 Swiss.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I deprime them with the hydraulic method. Takes about two minutes to do ten. I swage them with a RCBS swage die to flatten the anvil.I then drill them with a bit like the one used to center drill for door hinges.I drill just enough to find center of the primer pocket. Then I drill the flash hole with a # 48 drill bit (.074)
    Last edited by Point-Man; 08-16-2017 at 04:38 PM.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

converting berdan to boxer 7.5x55

I deprime them with the hydraulic method. Takes about two minutes to do ten. I swage them with a RCBS swage die to flatten the anvil.I then drill them with a bit like the one used to center drill for door hinges.I drill just enough to find center of the primer pocket. Then I drill the flash hole with a # 48 drill bit (.074)
    Last edited by Point-Man; 08-16-2017 at 02:52 PM.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    I keep being worried about the two OLD off center flash holes. Even if they get metal swaged over to cover them. Seems like that would leave two potential little weak sites pointing in the wrong direction that can blow out.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I sorted through a small amount of range brass I scrounged last time I went to the range (about a month ago). I also recently order some dies from Midway USA.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Got a new 45 shield today, ordered a set of tritium/fiber optic sights and a new holster shell for it. It'll be my new daily carry pistol.