Got a PID controller for my RCBS Pro Melt casting pot. Running it through it's "auto tune" function, whereby it checks to see what kind of amperage it needs to most accurately control the Pro Melt. It does that by bringing the pot up to it's set temperature, and then down to room temperature, THREE TIMES! Glad I only had the pot half full of alloy. The heating portion goes fast, and is quite accurate. However, the cooling down part if painfully slow. Wish this was winter here in Florida, instead of SUMMER. I have a small fan blowing on the pot to assist with the cooling rate. The room is up to 92 degrees. Wowser. And, I still have another whole cycle to get through.

When the controller gets tuned to the pot, I'll be able to start an Excel spreadsheet, by mold, and document the exact proper operating temperature. By setting that on the controller for each mold, I should be able to eliminate the trial and error setup every time I run alloy through a different mold. Been drooling forever to get one of these, and this one is an excellent one. I got it in a Group Buy at our sister forum, CastBoolits.gunloads.com. The price was right, and the quality of the workmanship is par none.

If you find yourself needing/wanting a PID controller for your casting pot, contact HATCH at CastBoolits:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...TCH-Automation