Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: So, What You Doing On The Bench Today?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    37 (100%)

So, What You Doing On The Bench Today?

I finished up reloading 500 .45 ACP's. Need to order more .45 230 grain projectiles. Bought a new drawer thingie and have all my brass separated into different drawers by caliber. Got in two boxes of Hornady 250 grain JHP projectiles for some .45 Colt and .454 Casull. Got a pound of BL-C(2) to try out as I saw some and never used it before. Got 325 rounds of Federal Target grade .22 LR ammo while I was at the store.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I did this a couple weeks ago?
    image.jpg
    300 yards, my hand loads.
    308 win. 168SMK over IMR4064

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Just got back in from the shop.....Machined down some brass for conversions and Hydroformed 100pcs for the 32Rem....from 30-30..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Grumpa,
    How's that going to work? 32 Rem is rimless and 30-30 is a rimed case?? Did you mean 32 special? And even more interesting, how do you hydroform cases. That's a new one on me and it's very intriguing. Pray tell, Si vou play! :-)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Was going to do some smelting and ingot creation but got rained out. Tomorrow maybe.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm in the middle of restoring a Type 38 Arisaka 6.5mm Jap "cavalry carbine" that my grandfather in-law brought back and my father in-law sporterized (read almost ruined). Did some small parts bluing and epoxied a crack in the stock, then sprayed it with amber shellac. That's after I scrubbed the rust (from neglect) from the metal and replaced the stock that had big gouges and chunks removed. "Sporterized" don't ya know.
    So, I guess I will be needing 6.5mm Jap brass. I'll have to get a post started for the trade page.
    Don't know if the shooting bench counts, but if it does, ...... 150 rounds of 22LR with a youngster and 20 rounds of 243 rem.
    All and all, a good day.
    Dave
    Thought I'd add a pic of the type 38 Jap.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DaveL; 08-11-2015 at 10:23 AM.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Just click the link(s) for pictures...

The 32Rem... http://castboolits.gunloads.com/atta...5&d=1395962456

225Win.... http://castboolits.gunloads.com/atta...6&d=1435950318

Both are made from the 30-30 parent case. What I do is knock the shoulder longer through Hydroforming.

The 225 shoulder is .090 longer than the 30-30 so I make what I need and fill the case with water, run it up in the die, insert the plunger, whack it with my brass hammer, and the shear force forces it to shape. The only other way to form them is to fire form them, and I don't own anything in most of the conversions I do....

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Not on the bench today. But I did just order 5K of Wolf primers from Wideners at $16/1000.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gandog56 View Post
    Not on the bench today. But I did just order 5K of Wolf primers from Wideners at $16/1000.
    So how do the would primers do? I've never used them, what do you guys think about them?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My shooting buddy and I were shooting a Savage 99 in 300 Sav. yesterday that he reloaded for with Russian primers. We shot about 20 rounds. Three or four of them went off as they were suppose to. All the rest took 2 strikes and a couple of them didn't go off at all and none were light strikes. They looked like fired cases after one strike. I have read in many other post that folks are having good luck with Russian primers and I've also read that they are junk. My personal experience is that I will NOT be using unreliable Russian primers. The last thing I want is to hear just a click when I fire at a Whitetail.
    JMHO
    DaveL
    Last edited by DaveL; 08-20-2015 at 10:27 AM.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    My shooting buddy and I were shooting a Savage 99 in 300 Sav. yesterday that he reloaded for with Russian primers. We shot about 20 rounds. Three or four of them went off as they were suppose to. All the rest took 2 strikes and a couple of them didn't go off at all and none were light strikes. They looked like fired cases after one strike. I have read in many other post that folks are having good luck with Russian primers and I've also read that they are junk. My personal experience is that I will NOT be using unreliable Russian primers. The last thing I want is to hear just a click when I fire at a Whitetail.
    JMHO
    DaveL
    I primarily shoot with CCI or Winchester primer... However I got a good deal on a load of wolf primers and loaded up a few hundred. I have had a few not make noise when the trigger was pulled. Others that looked like a light strike but would work on the second try. I agree if that trophy whitetail walked into my scope cross hairs I sure wouldn't want to worry about this issue.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Ineptocracy (in-ept-oc-ra-cy).....
    A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    nust got this delivered by the brown truck.
    hope to start using it this week.

limage.jpg

sorry i do not know why the photo is on its side.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    try again.

still a fail i do not know what i am doing wrong as i can not post any photos. can not even get them off the phone or computer hard drive.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    photos of new reloading bench.

IMG_1375.jpg

IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_1372.jpg

hooray got them here... but on there sides?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    deer season is over (for me anyhow) was a bust. great country to be in fantastic views from atop a 8K foot mt top.
    IMG_1517.jpgIMG_1517.jpg

oops doubled the same shot.
    i know bad photos, taken with my Iphone and a telephoto lens.
    now back to cleaning up my .40s&w brass, load it up and get to the 9mm, .45acp, 38 special, then back to (now three 5 gallon ) buckets of .223/5.56.
    bought into a wet tumbler. the brass looks so good. so no more dull brass for me.

will be checking into all my "other" to see if any out there wants something. going slow so give me a couple months. but might need a lot of 45 colt, and couple for testing of 45-90.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    just stopped for the day, did 2K rounds of .40s&w.
    have another 4 K to go then need more bullets to fill all my empty cases. must be another 8-9K or them.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    JMHO
    DaveL
    Define which Russian primers. I have used Wolf and Tulammo primers with no problems.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    gandog,
    They were Tula primers.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Have a lot of 40 S&W brass on hand so decided to start reload it. Didn`t really want to start another caliber , but what the heck.Got the dies and powder last week, was waiting on the bullets from X-treme. I like their bullets but it seems to take a long time to receive them. So I`m loading up 250 -180gr 40 cal bullets one at a time on a single stage.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    If you're on Facebook, look into sage's reloading supply. He usually has plenty of xtreme bullets on hand and will get them to you pretty much anywhere in CONUS within 2-3 days. You might pay a couple bucks more than direct, but his shipping makes up for it.