Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3543444546 LastLast

Thread: So, What You Doing On The Bench Today?

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I’m looking for something with more distance than 308, I’d like to take it out to a mile if possible. But this is down the road, I still need to stretch the 308 out to 1k+...

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbaker78 View Post
    I’m looking for something with more distance than 308, I’d like to take it out to a mile if possible. But this is down the road, I still need to stretch the 308 out to 1k+...
    260 remington because you can use the really good 6.5mm bullets and convert easy to find 308 brass.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    I'll be sizing and final polishing a bunch of .45 ACP cases, and eyeballing a big plastic jug full of 5.56 wondering if I will decap and run them all through the wet rotary tumbler. It will take me a LONG time to decap them all. While they are running I'll probably size and final polish some .300 AAC and .308 I already ran through the wet rotatory.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Continuing to swap plastic ammo boxes for old cardboard ones with .40 cal. Separated a buch of fully processed .45 ACP cases by headstamp and bagged. Made an awesome trade with SaftyJoe and received from him today 164 7.7 Jap cases and a bunch of .303 Brit. I'm going to start processing those by sizing and final polishing and bag them up. Ordered me some more .40 cal/10mm/.45 ACP 100 round plastic ammo boxes

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    OK, I know some of you are anal about small details. And, that's fine if you are that way. However, after decades of testing, I find absolutely NO difference in performance between brass that was decapped prior to cleaning, and brass where the primers were left alone during the cleaning process. So, as a RULE, I never decap primers before cleaning in either media or SS pins. The exception to that RULE is when I am dealing with anything that requires removing the primer crimp. Which, in this instance is 223 Rem. Virtually all of even the commercial 223 Rem brass gets crimped primers. So, I have to do those before doing the decrimping with the Dillon S8uper Swage 600.

Quote Originally Posted by gandog56 View Post
    I'll be sizing and final polishing a bunch of .45 ACP cases, and eyeballing a big plastic jug full of 5.56 wondering if I will decap and run them all through the wet rotary tumbler. It will take me a LONG time to decap them all. While they are running I'll probably size and final polish some .300 AAC and .308 I already ran through the wet rotatory.

Administrator - Ammo Brass Trader
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I do the wet tumbling method with stainless steel pins and decapping first does 2 things for me. One is cleaning out the primer pocket and the other is making it easier for the water and soap to be rinsed off. When it comes to most handgun brass I don't bother decapping 1st anymore because I rinse off the soap in a hand crank media separator with the top removed while holding a garden hose that's spraying on the tumbler while I'm turning it. The basin fills with soapy water and I drain it off and repeat the process a few more times until all the soap is gone. Drying my brass is done in my green house on a large mesh drying rack I made that can hold 50 to 75 lbs of brass.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeInFlorida View Post
    OK, I know some of you are anal about small details. And, that's fine if you are that way. However, after decades of testing, I find absolutely NO difference in performance between brass that was decapped prior to cleaning, and brass where the primers were left alone during the cleaning process. So, as a RULE, I never decap primers before cleaning in either media or SS pins. The exception to that RULE is when I am dealing with anything that requires removing the primer crimp. Which, in this instance is 223 Rem. Virtually all of even the commercial 223 Rem brass gets crimped primers. So, I have to do those before doing the decrimping with the Dillon S8uper Swage 600.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I’m finding about 60% of the 223 and all of the 5.56 is crimped. I used to use a super swage, but I’m too lazy to sort by headstamp and readjust it every time, so I was getting a lot of overswaged cases. Now I just ream the crimps out with a cheap Lyman bit and a cordless drill. It’s faster and seems more consistent.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have had 2 different swaging tools and a bunch of different cutters. I keep going back to the cordless drill and 45º carbide countersink. I hate all the 223 ammo that has crimped primers. I've gotten where I scrap most of it.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Back to what are you doing on the bench. I just finished resizing over 1000 38 Super cases. These were more difficult to size than most pistol brass so I lubed them.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    RCBS makes a decent crimp reamer because it has an over travel stop. I sort my 556 lake city brass to be converted into 300 blk and I use the dillon super swage on those, but I still double check each one with the ballistic tools primer pocket go / no go gauge and if one is not quite done I'll ream it to get it that last little bit. I also started reaming some S&B and herter's HS revolver brass just because those pockets seem to always be very tight.

1.jpg

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    I got a TON of rifle brass to process, but I am not doing so well healthwise right now. I may go out to my shed and do a bit, at least get my 7.7 Jap and .303 Brit in the wet rotary.
    Last edited by gandog56; 07-29-2018 at 05:28 AM.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Really Duke? I have had cases before I got the wet rotary that the soot was so thick the newly inserted primers were either sitting too high, or were VERY tough to even get one in without crushing it. Stainless steel pin media fixes THAT problem. Only other option is to use some kind of tool and scrape the soot deposits out one case at a time, a rather monotonous job.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    really,
    never had any sort of issue with cleaning primer pockets . Or, should I say, never any problems without cleaning them.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    really,
    never had any sort of issue with cleaning primer pockets . Or, should I say, never any problems without cleaning them.

Well, I DO have some 30 year old .38 cases that have been literally reloaded hundreds of times. Them soot build ups can really build up, you hear where I'm coming from?

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Had a front come through and the temps went from mid to high 90's to low to mid 80's and the humidity went way down. So, me and a buddy set up the smelting rig and melted around 400# of reclaimed shot. Ended up with 384 Lyman style ingots and 12 ingots from a bread stick mold. It was still hot and a cold beer was really good after we finished and put everything away. Shoulda waited for winter but its done! Now, to find that Aleve!

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Well, I DO have some 30 year old .38 cases that have been literally reloaded hundreds of times. Them soot build ups can really build up, you hear where I'm coming from?
    I have the soot buildup in 44 magnum cases primer pockets after a couple firings in my revolver.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I have had 2 different swaging tools and a bunch of different cutters. I keep going back to the cordless drill and 45º carbide countersink. I hate all the 223 ammo that has crimped primers. I've gotten where I scrap most of it.
    What's wrong with swaging it out? While it adds one more step it will get you lots of brass. Plus you only have to do it once. You can use anything from a finely ground screwdriver to a swage die set. I use the RCBS swage die set.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    I don't know, I use the cheapest primers possible, usually Wolf or Tula. They leave HARD sooty carbon in the flashholes. When I splurge on like Winchester or CCI it's not so bad.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    What's wrong with swaging it out? While it adds one more step it will get you lots of brass. Plus you only have to do it once. You can use anything from a finely ground screwdriver to a swage die set. I use the RCBS swage die set.
    I guess there are so many different degrees of crimps that I have never totally been satisfied with swaging. And 223 brass is so plentiful that I don't have to mess with crimped stuff. I've swaged my share of it and I agree its not a big deal. The military brass like LC and WCC work well but the FC stuff wears out so quickly its hardly seems worth the work.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Don't lose sight of the fact that when you deprime the cases, the primer knock out pin goes through the flash hole, and completely cleans that out. ALL of the flame will reach the powder. Like I said, I never have any issues, and never clean the primer pockets.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER