Thread: So, What You Doing On The Bench Today?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Transformed 100 LC 5.56 to 300 blackout and loaded with Nosler 220gr. HPBTM bullets and 10.9 grs. of 1680, to sub sonic velocities.
    A bench belt sander works to shorten the 5.56 cases but it sure is hard on the fingers. So I broke down and ordered a mini chop saw and a jig to trim with.
    Also converted 20 30-06 cases to 7.5x54 French and loaded them with Sierra 150 gr. FMJBT and IMR3031.
    Can't wait till it warms up enough to shoot here in Vermont!
    DaveL

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    Transformed 100 LC 5.56 to 300 blackout and loaded with Nosler 220gr. HPBTM bullets and 10.9 grs. of 1680, to sub sonic velocities.
    A bench belt sander works to shorten the 5.56 cases but it sure is hard on the fingers. So I broke down and ordered a mini chop saw and a jig to trim with.
    Also converted 20 30-06 cases to 7.5x54 French and loaded them with Sierra 150 gr. FMJBT and IMR3031.
    Can't wait till it warms up enough to shoot here in Vermont!
    DaveL
    I use the mini chop saw too. The jig I got on ebay doesn't have a support for the side that hangs off the right, but I noticed a regular glass beer bottle top acts as a perfect spacer to put under it. If you don't have anything under that overhang the jig will eventually start to tilt down and your cut wont be square. Another trick I do when determining how far out I want the jig I take a 300 blk case that's already been sized and trimmed and I put a thin strip of duct tape over the case mouth. Then I use that as a gauge with the blade lowered to determine what length I want the brass trimmed to. The duct tape just adds a tiny bit extra that only takes a few seconds to remove after you size the brass. If you don't use the duct tapped brass as a length gauge when setting up the chop saw you might leave too much to be trimmed after the brass is sized.

Here's a picture of a similar jig that actually does have a bottom support bolt, but because mine doesn't I just taped the beer top where the red arrow is pointed on this picture.
    41I+adfpQUL.jpg
    Last edited by SafetyJoe; 03-01-2017 at 04:28 PM.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the tips SJ.