Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wet tumbling.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Wet tumbling.

Just ordered a frankford arsenal wet tumbling setup from Amazon... Lemi-shine was one of the recommended purchases with it so I got that too.

Is it truly as easy as brass, water, dawn, and Lemi-shine?

P.S. I blame Gandog and happyguy... My brass looked just fine until I got some from them

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    while i did once forget to add my ss pins they did shine up nicely... i do use the ss media when tumbling...tx

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Right, forgot to list the SS media... I'm pretty certain it comes with it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yes it's that easy. Only thing that might throw you for a loop is don't over do it with the Lime-Shine. Another thing is mineral content in your water, if there is any. Some folks that live in certain places had wicked results and couldn't figure it out. If that happens to you look into distilled water just to see if that makes a difference. Always dry your brass with a towel immediately after tumbling and set them in the sun to dry. If you put brass in a propane oven to dry it will darken them some.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk5KoZ8XkPQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuDRzeZAgyA

Check those two videos out. They should answer all your questions, enjoy.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Thanks, and as for mineral content, I don't think there's much in the local water.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If you want to see what the SST Tumbler system that I bought 6 months ago is a real dream.Give me a shout and you can come over and see. I live in Wapakoneta and it is about an hour from you. You are welcome anytime.Once you run your brass you will wonder why you have struggled all this time with corn cob and polishing media. Tony

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I'm hoping mine will be here beginning of next week... Just in time too, I have a bunch of brass that's in need of cleaning up.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    And don't use a whole lot of Lemi-Shine. Too much is bad. I'm pretty sure the Frankfort Arsenal one does come with the stainless steel media.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony M View Post
    Once you run your brass you will wonder why you have struggled all this time with corn cob and polishing media. Tony
    I still use corncob too....as a final hi gloss polish, and to get the case lube off of my bottleneck shells after I size them.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I was planning on doing walnut after firing to get the grit off, then wet tumbling after I size and trim.

I looked at the listing on Amazon, it says it does come with the media.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbaker78 View Post
    I was planning on doing walnut after firing to get the grit off, then wet tumbling after I size and trim.

I looked at the listing on Amazon, it says it does come with the media.
    I do it the other way around. I deprime them all using a Lee universal decapper first, then into the tumbler they go. After I dry them out after tumbling I size them, trim them, swage out any primer cups and trim them if I need to. Then they go into corncob vibrator with some Flitz for a final polish. (And remove any case lube if used)

I think walnut cleans them faster, but corncob puts on a much higher gloss. Since the cleaning is done by the rotary, no need to use walnut.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I've been using walnut because it's cheap, and cob seems kind of hard to find in usable sized bags (50lbs is a bit much). I was getting crushed walnut in 6lb bags from a pet store for something like $5.

The only issue I found was that when the walnut got dirty it would start to collect in the primer pockets.

PS. My tumbler and lemi-shine arrived today. I'll have to run it on my next day off.

Do you guys mix cases when you wet tumble (223, 300aac,and 308) or just run separate loads for each caliber?
    Last edited by Mbaker78; 11-12-2014 at 01:47 PM.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Depends. I just took out a load today. It has 7.62X54R, 7.62X39, .308 Win, 30.06, and .303 Brit. The next load will be 9mm Luger, 9mm Mak, .380 ACP, .38 special, .357 Mag, and 357 SIG cases. But don't do like .45 ACP, .40 cal, and 9mm together, as you could get three cases stuck together and the primer cups and insides don't get cleaned. I always do .223/5.56 alone because they just lodge into other cases.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    So I can do 300aac with my 308 and 30-06 then, that's good to know...

They say this thing can do up to 1000 223 per load... I only have about 600 to run through it right now, ill save the torture test for another day I guess...

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    So I can do 300aac with my 308 and 30-06 then, that's good to know...

They say this thing can do up to 1000 223 per load... I only have about 600 to run through it right now, ill save the torture test for another day I guess...
    That include the 288 5.56 I just sent ya?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    This is how I have been cleaning. Just a light run in walnut to clean um up for my dies, and really clean um up in the ss. Think it's eazyer to clean the trash out of my walnut then the ss.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gandog56 View Post
    That include the 288 5.56 I just sent ya?
    havent they already been wet tumbled?

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I second what GRUMPA said in regards to drying, once I'm done tumbling I put the cases in a colander and rinse off the soapy/dirty water and then put them straight on a towel. If that towel gets too wet during the transfer, then I put them on a second towel and leave them out to dry. I have dried them outside in the sun and in the laundry room on top of the dryer while it was running. One caveat here is that my laundry "room"is a closet, really. They may not dry quickly using this method if you have a real laundry ROOM.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I ran about 600 223 last night, it's amazing how much quieter the wet tumbler is than the vibratory one...

I ran them for 2 1/2 hours and the outsides look spotless, the primer pockets are pretty clean and so are the insides, but I think they could've stood to run for a bit longer. Right now they're drying out on a towel, haven't checked on them yet, I'll probably do so later in the day.

I did notice that it's a bit more work than just running them through cob or walnut, but the end result is much better looking... Now to get a transfer magnet...