18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Happyguy View Post
    Congrats on taking the plunge. David
    Thanks, but I fear how deep the rabbit hole goes

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Update.

My face is just as ugly as it was before shooting the resized bullets. They were decent as far as accuracy too, I was able to hit a military silhouette a few times at 300y with only a red dot sight.

Had an issue with another rifle though. Long story short, is it safe to knock a loaded round out of the chamber by the nose? I tried tapping it out with a cleaning rod, but it didn't budge. I just want to make sure it won't go off from hammering the bullet with a cleaning rod or whatever

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    As long as you are going from the bullet end and not the primer end you should be good. What caused it to stick? David

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Neck sized one too many times I guess. I couldn't originally get the bolt to close and as I went to extract it it pulled a very small piece of the rim. Subsequent attempts to get the extractor to pull it out must've driven it in tighter...

I got it out, took more force than I liked, but it's out now. I just have to put the rifle back together...

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Have you tried them bullets I swapped you yet?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Neck sizing is ONLY one part of the equation.

You MUST trim the brass to length after full length sizing. If you don't trim it, the brass becomes so long it gets wedged between the bullet and the beginning of the rifling, creating a blockage. If you fire that round, which would usually chamber with some effort, you will likely pull the end of the neck off the brass.

Bottom line, full length resize first (properly, the shoulder must be set to where it's supposed to be), and then trim the brass to length.

Administrator - Ammo Brass Trader
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    All of my rifle brass gets measured at the very least, anything over max length gets trimmed, even after just neck sizing.

Haven't had a chance to try the bullets I got from you yet. I'm about to start a 7 day work week (12hour shifts) so it'll be a little bit yet. Is it safe to tumble pulled tracers in walnut media?

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbaker78 View Post
    All of my rifle brass gets measured at the very least, anything over max length gets trimmed, even after just neck sizing.

Haven't had a chance to try the bullets I got from you yet. I'm about to start a 7 day work week (12hour shifts) so it'll be a little bit yet. Is it safe to tumble pulled tracers in walnut media?
    Can't see why not, except it would probably kill any chance for it to light off........which could be a GOOD thing.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Yeah, I'm not exactly sure where I can shoot them around here either... Maybe this winter when there's a foot of snow...

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Neck sized one too many times I guess. I couldn't originally get the bolt to close and as I went to extract it it pulled a very small piece of the rim. Subsequent attempts to get the extractor to pull it out must've driven it in tighter...

I got it out, took more force than I liked, but it's out now. I just have to put the rifle back together...
    Hmmmm. If you've been neck sizing only you know they say about every fifth reload they should still be full length resized. I bet the shoulder was creeping forward.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    That's my guess. Not sure if I mentioned that it's federal brass... I guess it's notorious for being excessively soft...

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Kindof along the same lines as the OP, has anyone tried sizing down .32cal pistol bullets (100gr gold dot, for example) and shooting them in a rifle?

My main questions about this are whether they would feed and if they would even hold up to the velocities (~2150fps) or if they would just shatter upon leaving the barrel... I'd imagine they'd be pretty explosive if they managed to stay intact and hit a target.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Cast and sized the Lee TL314-90 SWC down to .311 but haven't loaded them yet. Doubt they would stand up to those velocities as they were made out of 50/50 COWW/lead.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    I have done 32 Mag bullets down to 308 to try in a 30 carbine. David

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Kindof along the same lines as the OP, has anyone tried sizing down .32cal pistol bullets (100gr gold dot, for example) and shooting them in a rifle?

My main questions about this are whether they would feed and if they would even hold up to the velocities (~2150fps) or if they would just shatter upon leaving the barrel... I'd imagine they'd be pretty explosive if they managed to stay intact and hit a target.
    I have two chamber adapters for my Mosin Nagants. One lets me fire .32 sized bullets (.32 ACP, .32 S&W Long, and .32 HR magnum), and the other one lets me fire 7.62X25 pistol bullets. Sort of like firing a .22 rifle on that big old heavy Mosin.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I've seen those adapters, thought about getting one for 308 to 32acp

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    I've seen those adapters, thought about getting one for 308 to 32acp
    Ummmm, bad idea? A .32 ACP is sized to .3125".

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Yeah, I'd wondered about that.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Just run them through your tumbler, that will remove the sizing gunk.