Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question about 300blk

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gandog56 View Post
    Just run them through your tumbler, that will remove the sizing gunk.
    That's what I've been doing, works pretty well. Even cleaned up some that I got in trade a while back too, they were a bit dulled with age.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    One thing you need to consider if you are working with bullets
    for an AK or any military firearm. MOST of them have an jacket
    that is Bi-metal. Under the copper on the bullet is a steel jacket.
    Some testing has shown fast barrel wear from these bullets because the rifling penetrates the soft copper wash and rubs against the
    inner steel jacket. The insides of the cut-away test barrels were
    very ugly. I keep a magnet near my press and test for steel in
    bullets. A steel core is not the problem, it is the steel jacket under
    the nice copper outer jacket. If it sticks, I give the bullets to folks
    that aren't concerned about barrel wear as much.

Its your choice, just a heads up.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    All of the bullets I resize for use are new production stuff, usually hornady, that I haven't found any steel in. I found a decent price on some .310 123gr Vmax so I bought a few hundred, I loaded a test set to check for accuracy and pressure and everything looked good so they'll probably be my go-to bullet for it.

A little footnote about the 100gr .312 gold dots. Though gold dots were sold out I did pick up some .312 100gr XTPs, sized a couple dozen down (came out of the sizing die at .3085"), tried to load them and immediately realized that it's hard to seat a handgun style HP bullet in an unbelled case with a spitzer style seating plug (Lee dies)... Crunched a couple cases before I decided that I need either a new seating plug and/or something to bell the case mouths...
    Last edited by Mbaker78; 12-25-2014 at 09:58 AM.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Mbaker78, a Lyman M die will bell the mouth a little via a second step on the expander plug. They make one for 300 BLK.

Ed

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Hmm, I wonder if Lee makes a powder through expanding die for 300aac similar to the ones for pistol...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...s8it5asf2m4id0

NOE does Lee stuff now and makes powder through for pistol expanders similar to the Lyman M die. Also make them for the universal expander die rifle.

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I just made a deal for an expander die, might have to look into a sized plug.. .311 or .312 for 300aac?

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Mbaker78,

What powder are you using for your 300 BLK loads? I can't find H110 anywhere, did find some Lil' Gun a couple of months ago, but I see that Accurate 4100 can be used, too.

Ed

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I got gouged on a couple pounds of H110 a few months ago and it lasted me pretty well. I have also used IMR4227.. I'm going to make a trip to my LGS this week and see what he has in stock. I have plenty of brass, bullets and primers, just need more powder...

As to your question, according to accurate powders load data you can use 1680, 5744, 4100 or ramshot enforcer. 4100 and enforcer look to get better velocities on paper, but as this point I'll take what I can get
    Last edited by Mbaker78; 12-29-2014 at 01:05 PM.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    Most military bimetal bullets are a mixture of soft iron, not steel, and copper. Will they wear the lands faster than copper or brass? Probably but I don't think that I can shoot enough of them to see a difference. Do I shoot them through my long range 308s? No but I do use them in my 300 Blackout and I shoot a lot of them without seeing a difference in accuracy but I only shoot it to 200 yards. David

Brass Trader
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I stick to copper, lead and maybe polymer... I occasionally shoot my 300 at a local indoor range and they get a bit upset when you shoot anything magnetic at their backstop, so I don't take any chances...